Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Pilot  (Read 49693 times)

HYHYBT

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
Besides, Tomarken never really hosted a straight quiz, right?
I'd call HIT MAN a straight quizzer, even if it involved Tomarken narrating two stories that would serve as the basis for the questions.

Which is why I lean more toward memory-based game than straight quiz.
Is there anything at all to indicate he wouldn't have done a good job with a straight quiz if he'd happened to be cast in one?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
I'd call HIT MAN a straight quizzer, even if it involved Tomarken narrating two stories that would serve as the basis for the questions.

Is there anything at all to indicate he wouldn't have done a good job with a straight quiz if he'd happened to be cast in one?

Did I say that there was anything?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
Isn't any straight quizzer memory-based, when you think about it?  Whether the answers are provided in the actual gameplay, or you're studying the hell out of every reference book before a taping so you can give the correct answer on MILLIONAIRE or J! (or in the case of the latter, the correct question :) ).

Granted, this is all semantical.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »
Alright; to quote Mr. "Dude" would be giving his replies too much credit. Seriously, outright dismissing "Hit Man" as a quiz show? What is Concentration, a "puzzle lifestyle program?" Outside of quiz bowl, does anything qualify as a "straight" quiz? Because Paranoia was just questions, but I suppose having the online element and the lifelines made it...a technologically-based competition series?

Marc Summers didn't know what OCD was until around 1995 when they did the segment on it on his talk show. To suggest that had anything to do with the show ending a year after the period in question, after they ordered 40 more "Family" episodes, would be downright silly. Marc had said in his book, and other interviews, that by 1992, they had enough episodes to rerun "forever." Certainly by Nickelodeon standards, where they can order a cartoon once or twice and run it five-days-a-week because kids don't really care as far as the ratings go.

There's a lot of muck to slog through in this thread, but that's as much as coverage as this seems to warrant.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
Of course.  Which is not what I suggested. What I DID suggest was that it seemed to  me that he wasn't as sharp as he had been before and I was suggesting  the OCD, regardless of whether he knew what the problem was or not,  might or might not have been a mitigating factor in why that might have  been. I also conceded that it may just have been simple burnout as well  and that I might have been overthinking things. Facts and all  that.

Your suggestion was not as apparent as you'd like to think. It was a provocative statement put on the very end of the initial post, which required clarification from others. Your opinion was that he wasn't as sharp as he was before. Fine. It doesn't seem to apply to the question of "why did the show end?" Whether intended or not, to me, your post listing the shows came across as if you were talking with some authority, rather than your own opinion.

I didn't set out to make you my punching bag. I'm not so full of myself  that I think I have a reputation known widely by the board, but I happen  to think I keep myself out of bickering for bickering's sake around  here. But your ignorant comment about Marc Summers got at least three of  us (myself, Matt and Kevin) to reply with not-so-favorable remarks. I  hate reading these drawn-out quote-ridden arguments. But for once I found myself compelled to reply because the remark was just so short-sighted.

-Jason

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »
As opposed to something you'd see on Logo.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »

Did I leave myself open for that one?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
Whether you did or didn't, I went for it. (Plus it happens to be Pride Weekend here in Seattle, so that's a bonus.) The whole "straight quiz," "memory quiz" pigeonholery is just silliness.

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
Of course.  Which is not what I suggested. What I DID suggest was that it seemed to  me that he wasn't as sharp as he had been before and I was suggesting  the OCD, regardless of whether he knew what the problem was or not,  might or might not have been a mitigating factor in why that might have  been. I also conceded that it may just have been simple burnout as well  and that I might have been overthinking things. Facts and all  that.

Your suggestion was not as apparent as you'd like to think. It was a provocative statement put on the very end of the initial post, which required clarification from others. Your opinion was that he wasn't as sharp as he was before. Fine. It doesn't seem to apply to the question of "why did the show end?" Whether intended or not, to me, your post listing the shows came across as if you were talking with some authority, rather than your own opinion.

I'll concede that maybe I wasn't as clear. However, I didn't use it as a reason why the show would have come to an end (or at least wasn't intending to). I was adding a second series of points for some of the shows that had been established (i.e. airing at least two years by 1990) and how it seemed that on Fun House and Double Dare, JD and Marc seemed to just be going through the motions for whatever reason. Then again, I look back at Fun House now and to me it didn't seem much like JD enjoyed his job that much anyway, so there's that.

In regards to Marc Summers, I'm fairly certain that around the time it came out that he had OCD I saw at least one interview where he said that as the years went on, it became harder and harder for him to get through taping sessions because of that. I know that I didn't hear him say that it had any effect on the show itself as to when it ended, so maybe I am putting a little more stock than I should in that.

cacLA8383

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:04 PM »

There's an obvious joke in there, somewhere, I'm sure.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »
In case it isn't clear, I'm not doing this for sport, Mr. Palmer. I'll cop to poking fun at "memory based" and your username, but I understand how that sarcasm could be lost in textual form. Throughout, I've given you the benefit of the doubt, and await a reasonable, calm reply. I still feel that's possible, but you've responded in this thread so quickly. So quickly, that you've replied to the quick bursts of invective from others, rather than my couple of  paragraphs addressing your points. And when you said this:

I've said some pretty off the wall things. But that doesn't give you  carte blanche to act like a douchebag toward me when you see fit. Save  it for a time when I actually WILL deserve it.
It seemed to imply you know you're acting as a provocateur in a sense. I hope I'm wrong. That would be the message board equivalent of a radio or cable TV pundit, and as somebody who posts and reads here in my free leisure time, that doesn't sound very fun.

(Edited to add: your reply above this was much more on-point. Thank you.)

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:44:13 PM by JasonA1 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
Look, over there; behind all those trees. That's the forest.

I just picked a random name, it doesn't matter which. You could find the greatest host of all the land and it wouldn't matter because while the idea was there they didn't do anything creative with the format.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:19:58 PM by TLEberle »

SRIV94

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
(Plus it happens to be Pride Weekend here in Seattle, so that's a bonus.)
It is in Chicago as well (and I think also in NY).  Not sure about the rest of the country.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2012, 12:22:17 AM »
In Cleveland as well, dear SRIV.
Thank you, oh dandy one, but you didn't need to hijack your thoughts to reply to little ole me.  The first part merited full exclusivity.
Doug

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
Look, over there; behind all those trees. That's the forest.

I just picked a random name, it doesn't matter which. You could find the greatest host of all the land and it wouldn't matter because while the idea was there they didn't do anything creative with the format.

To be fair (still playing Devil's Advocate here), how creative can you be with a kids vs. adults format? I ask both facetiously and seriously, because I'm both unsure there was much else that could've been done, but I would like to see someone at least try to come up with something better than what they had- I sure as hell don't know what I could add to this case.

Now Jason, your post and the post in question I made came out around the same time...so if you would like a response I'll give it to you.

It seemed to imply you know you're acting as a provocateur in a sense. I hope I'm wrong. That would be the message board equivalent of a radio or cable TV pundit, and as somebody who posts and reads here in my free leisure time, that doesn't sound very fun.

I'm not out and out trying to act like a provocateur, trust me. Granted, I may have some opinions that you may disagree with- and I'll be the first to admit that I've got some off the wall opinions (fortunately for everyone involved, at least most of the time, I keep 'em to myself). And I have no problem with people telling me they don't agree with what I've got to say. And editing to add, we've all got things we feel passionately about.

And I'm also aware I've earned whatever reputation I have over the eight years since I joined the GSF. Sometimes things get a little heated, though, and they shouldn't (which is as much on me, maybe more, than it is on anyone else).

Maybe I shouldn't take it as personally as I can sometimes but when it seems that at times no matter what I say it's out and out dismissed, don't I at least have a little reason, however miniscule, to think that maybe there's more going on? I know it's crazy, but...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:03:15 AM by PYLdude »