Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting document found  (Read 2749 times)

geno57

Interesting document found
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »
Original documents from the 1940 U.S. Census are now available online, free of charge.  Only a few states are available and searchable right now ... but New York is one of those states.

I searched for Gene Rayburn under his birth name (Eugene Rubessa), and found him and his new wife Helen.  Unless I'm mistaken, the income listed is a monthly number.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2442/m-t0627-02710-00912/10368213?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3d1940usfedcen%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d0%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsln%3dRubessa%26msbdy%3d1917%26dbOnly%3d_F0006AB0%257c_F0006AB0_x%252c_83004005%257c_83004005_x%252c_83004006%257c_83004006_x%26uidh%3dmov%26pcat%3d35%26fh%3d1%26h%3d10368213&ssrc=

geno57

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:31 AM »
Gene and Helen already lived more than 50 miles outside of Manhattan.  No Street View available ... but you can get a satellite image of the neighborhood.

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:47 AM »
There are a lot of interesting items in the 1940 census for a game show fan. The listing for Dorothy Kilgallen reveals she still lived with her parents and was not yet married to Richard Kollmar at the time of the census. It also reveals that her mother Mae (and not her father James) was considered the head of the household.  I guess we know who wore the pants in that family.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:55:13 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:22:34 AM »
And how exactly do you get in?  I clicked the link and was directed to subscribe for $12.95.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

geno57

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:46:47 AM »
Hmmm ... I don't have any paid subscription.

mmb5

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »
Ancestry.com has freebie periods now and then.  And it is yearly income, so between Gene's announcing and Helen's hat modeling they took in $2,000 in 1939 or roughly $33,000 in today's dollars.  Don't feel bad for him though, his rent was $43 a month.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
The 1940 census stuff is free for the time being... you just have to register for a "guest" account.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »
Ancestry.com has freebie periods now and then.  And it is yearly income, so between Gene's announcing and Helen's hat modeling they took in $2,000 in 1939 or roughly $33,000 in today's dollars.  Don't feel bad for him though, his rent was $43 a month.
Sounds like he was in better financial shape in 1939 than when he passed away in 1999. I've heard from more than one source that he was in hock to the IRS for quite some time. He supposedly made an investment in a wall-covering company (ZBrick? Abitibi?) which went south on him. What helped him out many years later were the MG residuals from GSN. They started out quite low but were negotiated upwards. I don't know whether his estate had a positive or negative net worth when he passed away.

I know (because I snooped) that there was no withholding on talent paychecks back in the day. Allen Ludden made $4,000 per week to do Password Plus in 1979, and a check was cut for him in the amount of $8,000 (for two weeks of shows) every other week. It was up to him to cover his income taxes (this practice was visited by the IRS years ago). Anyhoo, one wonders whether Gene had the scratch to pay his taxes and whether this is how he became indebted to the IRS.

/I would never have become familiar with the word "Abitibi" if not for TV game shows.

The 1940 census stuff is free for the time being... you just have to register for a "guest" account.
Thanks Greg, but I wasn't that anxious to learn Gene's salary in 1939.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:22:35 AM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Sounds like he was in better financial shape in 1939 than when he passed away in 1999. I've heard from more than one source that he was in hock to the IRS for quite some time. He supposedly made an investment in a wall-covering company (ZBrick? Abitibi?) which went south on him. What helped him out many years later were the MG residuals from GSN. They started out quite low but were negotiated upwards. I don't know whether his estate had a positive or negative net worth when he passed away.
When the classic GT shows contracted with performers there were no provisions in the AFTRA contract terms for the subsequent cable reruns we came to see on GSN. When Sony launched GSN, AFTRA had the challenge of categorizing and calculating the moneys due. GSN plays were certainly not like network broadcast reruns. Should they be considered along the lines of DVD sales? Do they fit as exhibition in "supplemental markets," a category more applicable to the realm of in-flight play? Obviously, Sony's attorneys advocated for paying the least.

A lovely lady at AFTRA, Joan Halperin Weise, was the point person in the categorization and formulas ultimately adopted, and her staff did the math. Because talent had never signed for these kind of replays, new agreements had to be drafted for each and every AFTRA member who appeared on and off-camera in the hundreds if not thousands of episodes. It was a Herculean task, and it set an important precedent.

When the agreements were sent to surviving talent and the next-of-kin for those who had passed, some saw it as an unexpected minor windfall and signed off on the deal. Others chose to contact their friends who had also received these agreements, wondering what to make of it all. Word spread that there was an agent who was prepared to negotiate for higher fees. With the channel about to launch, it was not difficult to get higher compensation than the pennies-per-episode that had been offered. Talent can always negotiate above scale - scale is never more than a mandatory minimum compensation. Gene was in the group of folks who were paid significantly higher fees.

Gene had been in debt to the IRS for many years. With penalties, fees and the interest clock ticking anyone beholden to the IRS can quickly get buried. The deal with GSN cleared Gene's entire debt and left him in the black. From decades of his high earnings through his union-covered work, Gene's pension was very significant. In his later years he lived conservatively in the Encino area, and comported himself with class and grace despite the fact that he could not be considered wealthy in the manner we would consider appropriate for someone who had spent a huge portion of his life as a daily fixture on TV. He was charming, funny, hung out with Bob Noah, and spoke honestly about his career - both his proud accomplishments and his disappointments. Despite having a fair share of regrets, Gene didn't dwell on the negative. I found that inspirational.

To respond to Chris' conjecture, Gene's estate was in the black upon his death.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:47:25 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
Encino, eh? Do you know if they joked about Encino because they actually spent time there (presumably not in a motel) or if this is an amusing coincidence?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:07:10 AM »
GSN debuted in late 1994. Gene passed away in late 1999. The financial turnaround that Randy described happened within the last few years of his life.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:09:16 AM by chris319 »