Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another "Pyramid" judging question  (Read 6158 times)

gameshowcrazy

Another "Pyramid" judging question
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
Goes good with gazpacho, I bet.
Requires no adornments. Rye bread. Mustard. Ship it. At MOST a pickle in there somewhere.

gotta have provolone in there

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Today one of the items in the main game was "wharf". 1986 was a year too soon, but I briefly of Lt. Worf from ST:TNG, which brings to mind some potentially difficult decisions for the judge. I know they've cuckoo'd people for saying "whether" in describing "weather," but the one time I can remember it, the person clearly pronounced it as "we-th'r". I can't recall an instance where someone went for a different word that began with "hw" instead of "w" or vice versa. Does anyone recall seeing a case like that?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
the person clearly pronounced it as "we-th'r".
There's two pronunciations for that?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »
Pyramid deals in sounds. If you say "It's that great big thing in the street" when describing a "grate", you get the bird. Same here. That's not to say you couldn't describe Lt. Worf instead of describing a wharf.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
Pyramid deals in sounds. If you say "It's that great big thing in the street" when describing a "grate", you get the bird. Same here. That's not to say you couldn't describe Lt. Worf instead of describing a wharf.
If you are a receiver those clever tricks don't help because the word you're describing doesn't fit the category.  "Fisherman's"...."Wharf" fits, "The guy on Star Trek" does not.  I think this has been discussed here before, but those tricks are detrimental when taken in context of the overall category.  Hairy/harry, ant/aunt, right/write, may sound the same, but they are not the same word.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:25 PM »
There's two pronunciations for that?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
I don't think I've ever been told quite so succinctly and quite so hilariously.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »
If you are a receiver those clever tricks don't help because the word you're describing doesn't fit the category.  "Fisherman's"...."Wharf" fits, "The guy on Star Trek" does not.  I think this has been discussed here before, but those tricks are detrimental when taken in context of the overall category.
There are several examples of somebody getting stuck and recovering by using that very strategy.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 08:03:17 PM »
If you are a receiver those clever tricks don't help because the word you're describing doesn't fit the category.  "Fisherman's"...."Wharf" fits, "The guy on Star Trek" does not.  I think this has been discussed here before, but those tricks are detrimental when taken in context of the overall category.  Hairy/harry, ant/aunt, right/write, may sound the same, but they are not the same word.
Uh...no.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
Uh...no.
Don't ewe mean "Uh...know" :)

chad1m

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
There are several examples of somebody getting stuck and recovering by using that very strategy.
I was getting ready to start a response like this, but then I considered the source and decided not to waste the finger energy.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »
I was getting ready to start a response like this, but then I considered the source and decided not to waste the finger energy.
Chad, be nice.

chad1m

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 02:58:56 AM »
Chad, be nice.
I would, Jimmy. I try to like you and what you might be able to bring to the table. But your constructive posts are far outweighed by your attempts at outlandish topics or eventual discussion derailers, so I never know if you're tro-lo-lollin' or actually trying to add something.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:59:15 AM by chad1m »

Otm Shank

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 01:33:06 AM »
There was one instant of TORTE, with TART given as a response and it was not accepted. Dick even looked back at the producer's table to say to burn it from future use because it was so close. The game was a runaway, and to ease the pangs of guilt (and to head off a protest), the other team played for a 2-point win.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »
There was one instant of TORTE, with TART given as a response and it was not accepted.
Correctly. The pronunciations aren't even close and the etymologies aren't even in the same neighborhood. Honestly I can't believe there was even a question.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:36:59 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe