Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Press Release  (Read 5627 times)

Matt Ottinger

CBS Press Release
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
Having failed to stop ABC's Big Brother ripoff Glass House from airing, CBS has announced an original programming idea of its own.  Reads like something The Onion would do, which makes it all the weirder that it appears on the official CBS site for actual press releases.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
CBS Press Release
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »
This has gotta be fake.

EDIT: and apparently it was. Someone at CBS must have worked for the Onion in the past.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:42:14 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

CBS Press Release
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
This has gotta be fake.
EDIT: and apparently it was. Someone at CBS must have worked for the Onion in the past.
If by "fake" you mean CBS wasn't really planning to do a show where they danced on people's graves, then golly, you win a cookie.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
CBS Press Release
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »
This has gotta be fake.
If by "fake" you mean CBS wasn't really planning to do a show where they danced on people's graves, then golly, you win a cookie.

Was the sarcasm necessary?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
CBS Press Release
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
So here's my question about this: what's actionable here? There's any number of formats where you get a group of people together, run them through a preplanned series of events, challenges and eliminations, all while their every move is being recorded, plus you have the confessional diary. If Glass House was better than the forebearer in any way (not only isn't that the case, but the format seems to be Big Brother 2000, and look how well that went), then maybe CBS could prove some sort of harm (but what, that BB's brand or reputation is unduly harmed? That viewers could not tell the difference between Siri/Val and Julie Chen?) but what do they do? "You're being copycats, so please quit it." Win it in the battle of the remote.

The best programs stick around because they were first and done right. No other show will be able to unseat Survivor, Big Brother, The Race, Biggest Loser, et al, unless they can be way better than the original. So far, no one has been able to do that, in my estimation.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

CBS Press Release
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
The best programs stick around because they were first and done right. No other show will be able to unseat Survivor, Big Brother, The Race, Biggest Loser, et al, unless they can be way better than the original. So far, no one has been able to do that, in my estimation.
When you're doing a ripoff, you probably don't expect to do as well as the original, you're just hoping to get a big enough piece of the pie to keep going.  A handful of music-competition series have managed to do OK in the wake of Idol, so they keep churning them out.

weaklink75

CBS Press Release
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
CBS' big snit is mainly that a ton of ex-BB staff is working on Glass House and they're stealing "trade secrets"...and CBS was also afraid they'd steal some of BB's thunder (and they've been coasting for a while-for example, Big Brother is the only show left on the broadcast networks that doesn't shoot in HD- they say it'd be too expensive to put HD cameras in the house; which was the same excuse they made for Survivor and amazing Race not being in HD until a couple of years ago). It's a moot point probably, since Glass House debuted very poorly...

Matt Ottinger

CBS Press Release
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
Was the sarcasm necessary?
Yes.  It's our bonus prize on Masters of the Obvious.

/Well, that plus the cookie.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:50:58 PM by Matt Ottinger »

davemackey

CBS Press Release
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
Big Brother is the only show left on the broadcast networks that doesn't shoot in HD
"Let's Make A Deal" is still in trusty old Philco-friendly 4:3 format.

Clay Zambo

CBS Press Release
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »
That release is a hoot, legal action or not.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS Press Release
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
It's a moot point probably, since Glass House debuted very poorly...
I'm finally getting around to watching it right now.

It's...it's...it's not good.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
CBS Press Release
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
It's...it's...it's not good.\
And not in that "let's riff on this as we sorta watch it," either. Bad TV.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS Press Release
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
I'm not only not giving this a second week; I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna make it through the hour.

EDIT: I actually made it. I WTF'd. Hard. I will actually give it five minutes into the next episode (it's not like my Tivo doesn't have the room) to see if what I think will happen, happens. Other than that, I simply do not want to live with these people anymore.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:13:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

CBS Press Release
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »
I lasted five or ten minutes. Couldn't they find any attractive people? Were the staff people poached from CBS the wrong ones?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
CBS Press Release
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »
I supposed that the new program CBS was propositioning was the only way they could put together a proper "I Love Lucy" reunion.

Other than that, it looks like that Kool-Aid CBS had for lunch was awfully bitter. Domino Sugar is on sale at the market this week.

(and they've been coasting for a while-for example, Big Brother is the only show left on the broadcast networks that doesn't shoot in HD- they say it'd be too expensive to put HD cameras in the house; which was the same excuse they made for Survivor and amazing Race not being in HD until a couple of years ago).
Wasn't CBS also reluctant to fully switch to color? It wouldn't surprise me if they're holding out on going HD.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.