Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Press Release  (Read 5624 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
CBS Press Release
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »
Other than that, it looks like that Kool-Aid CBS had for lunch was awfully bitter.
Well, if they watched the show, I'm sure they went back for a second, sweet, cool, delicious glass and that right quick.

Wasn't CBS also reluctant to fully switch to color? It wouldn't surprise me if they're holding out on going HD.
Um, it's the only show left. Hardly a result of a network-wide holdout.

It's also unique in that it has a metric farkton of cameras. (I would be surprised if The Amazing Race used more than the fifty-some in the Big Brother house.) I suspect upgrading is an extremely non-trivial process, both logistically and financially.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

knagl

• Executive Producer
CBS Press Release
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
Big Brother is the only show left on the broadcast networks that doesn't shoot in HD- they say it'd be too expensive to put HD cameras in the house
Considering how many cameras are in there, and I would imagine many of them are small, pan/tilt/zoom security-type cameras, it would be cost prohibitive and likely inconvenient as hell to have that many HD cameras in the house.  I don't blame them for not doing it.

(Anyone know what the smallest network-quality HD camera is, and/or if there are any PTZ security cameras that are HD?)

clemon79

CBS Press Release
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
and/or if there are any PTZ security cameras that are HD?
There are definitely HD security cameras, so I suspect there are broadcast-quality HD security cameras as well. The question, as we have both said, is one of expense.

(People need to remember, too, assuming the current SD cameras are recording digitally, that switching fifty-some cameras to HD is going to increase the amount of data being pushed around by A LOT. And that also might affect their editing workflow. (Complete conjecture on my part, mind you, but the possibility is definitely nonzero enough to merit pointing out.))

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
CBS Press Release
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »
Folks, yet another reason why you should always view forums in full version if you can. Hence why I didn't see "sense of humor or sour grapes".
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

CBS Press Release
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Folks, yet another reason why you should always view forums in full version if you can. Hence why I didn't see "sense of humor or sour grapes".
Makes a huge difference.  With that information, I apologize for the sarcasm.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
CBS Press Release
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
Wait, wot's this then? You can view the forum in something other than "full version"? What's missing in this sub-par alternate reality?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

CBS Press Release
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
Wait, wot's this then? You can view the forum in something other than "full version"? What's missing in this sub-par alternate reality?
Like, on your phone. Unless you have a Windows Phone, which Invision can't be bothered to add support for, even though it's just one farking user agent line.

/not bitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
CBS Press Release
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 06:52:45 PM »
Like, on your phone. Unless you have a Windows Phone, which Invision can't be bothered to add support for, even though it's just one farking user agent line.

/not bitter
That's interesting, because I once poked around the forum on my iThing, and didn't even notice that the sub-headers were missing.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

CBS Press Release
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
That's interesting, because I once poked around the forum on my iThing, and didn't even notice that the sub-headers were missing.
They might not be. I'm just saying that's a situation where one might see a different version of the board than the regular website.

/I wouldn't know
//because the goddamn thing doesn't work on Windows Phone

jjman920

• Mhoops.
CBS Press Release
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
and/or if there are any PTZ security cameras that are HD?
There are definitely HD security cameras, so I suspect there are broadcast-quality HD security cameras as well. The question, as we have both said, is one of expense.

(People need to remember, too, assuming the current SD cameras are recording digitally, that switching fifty-some cameras to HD is going to increase the amount of data being pushed around by A LOT. And that also might affect their editing workflow. (Complete conjecture on my part, mind you, but the possibility is definitely nonzero enough to merit pointing out.))
You're right. It didn't occur to me how costly that can be.

I've read that Big Brother UK is in HD. Now, I have no idea what money Channel 5 is working with and I don't know in what capacity "HD" means, so I don't know if CBS can or can not make the switch. Would it be too costly to film just the eviction nights in HD? Or are they already doing that (I haven't tuned in in a while)?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

CBS Press Release
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »
Would it be too costly to film just the eviction nights in HD? Or are they already doing that (I haven't tuned in in a while)?
You're not gonna switch definitions and aspect ratios in mid-show. Full stop. As long as the house is in SD, so will be the rest of the show until they flip the whole thing over.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
CBS Press Release
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Makes a huge difference.  With that information, I apologize for the sarcasm.

Accepted. Although I wouldn't have been too upset if you hadn't. :)

And yes, Travis, a mobile version of the site exists on various handhelds as Chris L. said.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
CBS Press Release
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
You're not gonna switch definitions and aspect ratios in mid-show. Full stop.
The Cleveland Show's premiere says hi.  I can't find video of it.  The start of the show began in SD, but went to HD for the rest of the show (and series) when Cleveland left Quahog.  It was a cool transition.

Going back to the topic at hand, Chris is right.  Flipping from SD to HD and back would look awkward, especially if the HD part is letterboxed for non-HDTVs.

clemon79

CBS Press Release
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »
The Cleveland Show's premiere says hi.
And in return I invite The Cleveland Show to blow me. One, that's a preproduced cartoon, and two, I'd be willing to bet you that what was produced and delivered to Fox was in fact HD from start to finish, for technical reasons if nothing else.

clemon79

CBS Press Release
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
I will actually give it five minutes into the next episode (it's not like my Tivo doesn't have the room) to see if what I think will happen, happens.
Normally, I curse a TV show for spoiling in the previews.

In this case, however, I would like to thank ABC, for their spoilage has answered my question, and now I never have to watch another minute of this pile of shiat.