Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where They Are Now: Paul Kreppel  (Read 2299 times)

Matt Ottinger

Where They Are Now: Paul Kreppel
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
Paul Kreppel is one of those actors known, if at all, for only one role, that of the wisecracking piano player in the surprisingly long-running eighties sitcom It's a Living.  (He later appeared as Jackie's dad a few times on That 70s Show.)  On the strength of that earlier role, he ended up participating on some game shows of the late eighties, including Liars Club and Relatively Speaking.

So where is he now?  At this second, he's probably resting in an East Lansing hotel room.  Kreppel is with a touring company of Wicked playing The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  I know this is hardly earth-shattering news, but by the time these tours get to East Lansing, they've long since shed any "name" actors and it's incredibly rare that I recognize anyone in the cast, much less somebody with a few game show credits.  A little checking shows that he actually has a Tony Award for producing ventriloquist Jay Johnson's one-man show in 2007.

Carry on.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »
He did the 80s Pyramid a few times too. There was one rather disastrous match where he was giving, and they got very few words (3 or 4 IIRC) on one category, and he got a little testy with the contestant as he gave clues. Definitely raised an eyebrow when I saw it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

opimus

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Quick glance  at google reveals  that Paul is a busy stage actor. Paul was with a nation tour of Wicked in 09.

entguy1

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »
As long as we're talking about "It's a Living" stars, what's happened to Ann Jillian or, more importantly, Barrie Youngfellow? (Early redhead crush.)

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
Now, I've heard of Wicked before...but what's It's A Living?  Not being snarky, I've just never heard the name of that show come up in conversation before.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:31:13 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
Did you try using your favorite search engine to glean information on It's a Living?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
Did you try using your favorite search engine to glean information on It's a Living?
Whether he did or not, here's the intro to the first season.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
As long as we're talking about "It's a Living" stars, what's happened to Ann Jillian
http://www.annjillian.com/index.php

Not as much online about Barrie Youngfellow.  Her Wikipedia page says she's retired.

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
Matt: if you want a cheap way into see the show and Mr. Kreppel in person - try the lottery line.  If your name comes out of the drum, you get a (slightly) blocked view for $25.  It's a good show IMHO and worth a try.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »
Matt: if you want a cheap way into see the show and Mr. Kreppel in person - try the lottery line.  If your name comes out of the drum, you get a (slightly) blocked view for $25.  It's a good show IMHO and worth a try.
Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I saw the show last night and recognized Mr. Kreppel's name in the program.  Oddly, for being something of a Broadway buff, this was my first time seeing Wicked.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:56:01 PM by Matt Ottinger »

vtown7

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
Ah, fair enough!  Hope you enjoyed it.

Ryan.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:51:58 AM »
He also had a role as a quiz show host in an episode of Doogie Howser MD