Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage  (Read 54934 times)

That Don Guy

Your Holy Grail of game show episodes or footage
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
a Gene Wood hosted Beat the Clock
I'm surprised this one isn't widely available, as one episode aired on GSN not that many years ago (I remember it because it was added to help fill the extra hour when Daylight Saving Time ended one year - of course, now that's an infomercial block).  I for one would like to see a Jack Narz-hosted one (with the giant pink clock, IIRC).

If I had one "holy grail," it would be the Shamrock Sweepstakes (the St. Patrick's Day special episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes where winners from NBC's six game shows at the time competed in a contest of Irish-based trivia questions for $100,000), followed by another promotion with a week of celebrity games where somebody won $75,000 if they answered the phone when Jim McKrell called (IIRC, when they called one contestant, they got a busy signal, but as it turned out, she was put back into the "jar" and drawn by the eventual high scorer, so she ended up winning the $75,000).

Also on my "wish list" (and for all I know, at least one of these is on YouTube):
Any Three on a Match from the "buzz-in" era (if only to remind me how it worked)
Either of the two (that I know of) episodes of The Moneymaze where both couples won $10,000 (and we could settle the debate as to whether it was "Moneymaze" or "Money Maze")
Any > $25,000 win on Jackpot! (I know one of these is online), or any of the other "moments" on the show (e.g. the day the multiplier was 55, and they had to ask Standards & Practices if they could let it stand (S&P said yes); the "Egyptian's Favorite Game Show" riddle)
Any episode of Spin-Off (one of the three daytime shows never aired in San Francisco, but I have seen episodes of the other two - Just Men! and 50 Grand Slam; I have also heard the audio of a bonus round)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:40:02 PM by That Don Guy »

MisterX

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
I think that Moneymaze titling issue was resolved after seeing the images from Getty Images, from that SOTC '69 topic. Here's the pictures.

As for my holy grail, seeing The Wizard of Odds with Alex Trebek.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:50:06 PM by MisterX »

mmb5

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »
As for my holy grail, seeing The Wizard of Odds with Alex Trebek.
One exists at UCLA, but it is post format change.  It's very dull when it's simply a slow paced Q&A.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
Another two "holy grails" of mine would be an episode of Monty Hall's Twenty-One and an episode of the 1950s Wheel of Fortune (probably an hour-long one).

a Gene Wood hosted Beat the Clock
I'm surprised this one isn't widely available, as one episode aired on GSN not that many years ago (I remember it because it was added to help fill the extra hour when Daylight Saving Time ended one year - of course, now that's an infomercial block).  I for one would like to see a Jack Narz-hosted one (with the giant pink clock, IIRC).
There's several of each on YouTube; I myself have five episodes, but I don't have any adequate transferring equipment.

If I had one "holy grail," it would be the Shamrock Sweepstakes (the St. Patrick's Day special episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes where winners from NBC's six game shows at the time competed in a contest of Irish-based trivia questions for $100,000)
This was discussed two years ago. Jimmy Owen said he had an audio copy of it.

Any Three on a Match from the "buzz-in" era (if only to remind me how it worked)
Wait, what? When was this? (First I've heard of such a format.)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Ian Wallis

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
Just to follow-up on Don's post...yes, Beat the Clock with Gene Wood should be an easy find as GSN ran it for quite a while.  

As for Spin-off, the good news is that it does exist.  It was discovered about a decade ago when the CBS Joker's Wild was found.  Unfortuantely, no episodes of it have gotten out since then.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

snowpeck

« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
Another two "holy grails" of mine would be an episode of Monty Hall's Twenty-One and an episode of the 1950s Wheel of Fortune (probably an hour-long one).
Not sure what's so interesting about the 50s Wheel of Fortune... it was just one of several Queen for a Day knockoffs.  I find that whole subsection of shows demeaning and insulting.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
Since I'm not aware, to put it quite simply, why is there so much hatred towards Queen for a Day, and the knockoffs that followed it?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:43:10 PM by gameshowlover87 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2012, 05:52:17 PM »
Since I'm not aware, to put it quite simply, why is there so much hatred towards Queen for a Day, and the knockoffs that followed it?
Mostly because they weren't really games, they were melodramatic crap that asked housewives to prostrate themselves and rewarded whoever could come up with the biggest sob story.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
When you think about, a lot of those shows' elements showed up in "Deal Or No Deal", making that show equally disliked on similar principles.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »
When you think about, a lot of those shows' elements showed up in "Deal Or No Deal", making that show equally disliked on similar principles.
Yeah, but they weren't part of the game, they were part of the contestant casting, really. On "Queen For A Day", the showdown to determine Who Is Most Pathetic *was* the entire game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »
Wait, what? When was this? (First I've heard of such a format.)
I don't remember much about it, as I only remember seeing one episode; it was from near the end of the run.  From what I do remember - and note that the regulars here will tell you that "what I remember" and "how it actually worked" tend to be two different things when it comes to 1970s game shows - Bill asked five questions at a time, worth something like $40, 50, 60, 70, and 80; buzz in with a correct answer, and you get the money.  One or two questions per round were also "Take Away" questions; if you got it right, not only did you get the money, but you could take the same amount from your opponents.  What I don't remember is, how they decided who (if anybody) could play the end game after each set of questions.

As for Spin-off, the good news is that it does exist.  It was discovered about a decade ago when the CBS Joker's Wild was found.  Unfortuantely, no episodes of it have gotten out since then.
IIRC, they found it at WCBS when they found the first two seasons of The Joker's Wild, but it's in an old recording format and somebody decided the cost of converting the tapes did not justify doing so.

(Based on the one audio clip from the show that I have heard, I can't blame them.)

snowpeck

« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:03 AM »
IIRC, they found it at WCBS when they found the first two seasons of The Joker's Wild, but it's in an old recording format and somebody decided the cost of converting the tapes did not justify doing so.

(Based on the one audio clip from the show that I have heard, I can't blame them.)
Which leads me to the question of why were the Joker's Wild episodes deemed worthwhile? Don't get me wrong... I'm glad they were... but GSN already had 9 years worth of the syndicated run (some of which they never aired) and did practically zero promotion for the CBS episodes.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:44 AM »

Which leads me to the question of why were the Joker's Wild episodes deemed worthwhile? Don't get me wrong... I'm glad they were... but GSN already had 9 years worth of the syndicated run (some of which they never aired) and did practically zero promotion for the CBS episodes.

For the sake of completeness, I guess.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »
One more 50s show to add to my dream list just came to mind: Top Dollar.

That Don Guy

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
Probably because it was the first two seasons (and CBS seasons at that).  Had they already had the complete CBS run and come across, say, the last two syndicated Barry seasons, I don't think they would have been as interested.