Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A rousing game of Is It Legal?  (Read 5682 times)

Kevin Prather

A rousing game of Is It Legal?
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
The question on the docket today is this. In the Pyramid Winner's Circle, are you allowed to carry a tune with a clue, as long as the words you are singing are legal?

To consider:
David Garrison was buzzed on "Favorite Things" for singing "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens". Buzzed for the singing, or for the descriptive phrasing?
Adrienne Barbeau sang the title of "O Sole Mio" on "Italian Songs" to no contest.

Discuss.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »
I think the problem with David Garrison's example is the word "and" in the middle.

If he sang "raindrops on roses", paused, continued singing, "whiskers on kittens" I think he would've been OK.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
Sounds like the judges buzzed David because he didn't give a list, and instead sang the lyrics to the song. I'm guessing it would've been legit in the main game if "Favorite Things" was displayed. It's also a little misleading, considering he's describing a song by that name, not favorites like "a TV show".

Since "O Sole Mio" falls into the category of an Italian song, I could see that passing.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
Ok. How would you rule on tacking a tune onto "A little star" for "Things that twinkle", or "A little teapot" for "Things that are stout"? Single items in each case.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
It's also a little misleading, considering he's describing a song by that name, not favorites like "a TV show".
Not really; because the context of the song is Maria describing her

(wait for it)

favorite things.

(sunglasses adjustment)

Yeah.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
It's also a little misleading, considering he's describing a song by that name, not favorites like "a TV show".
Not really; because the context of the song is Maria describing her ... favorite things.
And indeed, she is not just describing her favorite things, she is listing them.

wxfrcaster

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
So if you swapped the lyrics and sang "roses' raindrops" pause "kitten's whiskers" you would be ok.  But a lot to think about in a second or two.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
So if you swapped the lyrics and sang "roses' raindrops" pause "kitten's whiskers" you would be ok.  But a lot to think about in a second or two.
However, "bright copper kettles" and "warm woolen mittens" would be fine.

But no singing.  "Give a list.  Give only a list."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »
So what would be the difference between singing the tune in that case, and using a high-pitched voice for "Things that squeak"? Aren't they both simply vocal inflection? (Not arguing necessarily. Just trying to understand.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:52:19 PM by Kevin Prather »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
So what would be the difference between singing the tune in that case, and using a high-pitched voice for "Things that squeak"? Aren't they both simply vocal inflection? (Not arguing necessarily. Just trying to understand.)
Using a high-pitched voice for "things that squeak" (at least I think) would convey the essence of the answer.

In certain situations, so would singing (especially if "Songs" is part of the subject).  But not always.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:58:45 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Not really; because the context of the song is Maria describing her

(wait for it)

favorite things.

(sunglasses adjustment)

Yeah.
Then if you add "Maria's" to raindrops, roses, et al, you'd get away with it as far as the judge.  Although it might throw your partner off.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »
You're only allowed to give a list.  Had he said "a rose's raindrops" or "Kitten's whiskers", David wouldn't have gotten zapped.  Using prepositions is a no-no.

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 05:17:21 PM »
Regarding this very incident, my stand has always been that the clues, as given, are illegal because of the prepositional phrases. For "warm woolen mittens" and "brown copper kettles," under the rules as announced, I would say that they should be legal. A list is a list, whether it's sung or spoken.

SRIV94: "The essence" means the essence of the word itself, not the meaning. That's why people got away with saying "of" in the main game in describing "4th of July" but not "R.N." in describing a nurse.

Interesting, though, that weren't even allowed to sing in the main game on Pyramid Rocks, which was a version specifically about music!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
"Give a list.  Give only a list."
"For the next 60 seconds, this station will be giving a list of the Emergency Broadcast System.  Give only a list."

(I'm sorry.  That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Interesting, though, that weren't even allowed to sing in the main game on Pyramid Rocks, which was a version specifically about music!
There was an excellent reason for that to be disallowed.

"Normally we go to the Winner's Circle for a $5,000 try. You sang eight times during the game so we took the royalties we had to pay out of the jackpot. For $1,800, here is your first subject. Go!"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:24:33 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle