Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two years ago...  (Read 6133 times)

Kevin Prather

Two years ago...
« on: December 13, 2003, 07:10:31 PM »
Alan Randy Amasia passed away of cancer.

Allow me to raise my glass to him, a devout game show fan, and from what I understood, an all-around great person. May he continue to rest in peace.

MikeK

• Martha!
Two years ago...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 07:42:19 PM »
It was two years ago yesterday.  Regardless, he was a dear friend to many on this board.

whewfan

Two years ago...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 08:23:18 PM »
I had met Randy 5 years ago, at GSC8. We were very fortunate to have him there.
Those that attended will never forget his "Showdown" roll on the first try (which BTW I have on tape) playing The Big Showdown. We also played Whew!, but Randy, too proud to defend his championship, just sat at the sidelines.
Randy had participated in many game show pilots after Whew!, and also interned on Card Sharks.  He was on Jeopardy!, and later was interviewed by GSN.

Randy was engaging and friendly, and had a wealth of good game show stories. Unfortunately, he later became jealous of my interview with Whew! contestant Howard Wilson, which may have marred his friendship with me.  Despite that, I still considered him a fine person. Many of you that have seen my Whew! production know that I dedicated it to Randy.

ChuckNet

Two years ago...
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 08:33:40 PM »
Many of you that have seen my Whew! production know that I dedicated it to Randy.

A touch of class for a class act...I'm sure he would've appreciated it.

Anyway, it was a shocker to me when we lost Randy...I knew he'd been sick, but hadn't expected his passing to come so soon...he was a good friend and an unforgettable person. Godspeed, bud, wherever you are.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

Two years ago...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 08:43:57 PM »
I remember that he won $6900 on Jeopardy! in 1986.

MikeK

• Martha!
Two years ago...
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 09:08:25 PM »
When I visited Randy in October 2001, we went to Kaiser Permanente one morning, a few hours before my Jeopardy! tryout.  The doctors said Randy was in good health and his surgery the following week would be routine.  Little did I or anybody else know Randy would be gone two months later.

Thank heavens we can remember our fallen friend by searching an internet archive or popping a cassette in the VCR.

Johnissoevil

Two years ago...
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 12:55:01 PM »
(I know I'm two days late in posting my reply...I don't bring myself to lurk/post here as much as I'd like to)

My memories of Randy are not just of him being a fellow game show fan, but also a great friend, just like many others.  The IMs we'd exchange were classics.  We'd have conversations about what we were both up to, exchanged jokes, and  talk about the game shows that I'm too young to remember or ran before I was born, etc.  He brought to my attention something funny about Bo Childress'...er, Stephen Bielefeldt's...er, whatever, it doesn't matter what his name is...voice that was playing in the background of his old site.  Anyway, I'm sure that right now, he's talking to some departed game show personalities about something (Heck, I wouldn't put it past Mr. Goodson to hire him to host one of his shows up there in the sky).  Wherever you are Randy, just know that you're still missed by the person was once ATGS' Number One Game Show/WWE/Football/Simpsons freak.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Two years ago...
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 09:59:26 PM »
he was my hero; we all miss him; it was a shocker, i agree, chucknet
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

gsnstooge

Two years ago...
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 06:58:18 PM »
Even though I have this somewhere else and I don't know where.  For Randy not seeing his $25,000 Whew! on television, I blame Burt Sugarman because he owns the tapes and when GSN tried to purchase them he demanded too much money.  Randy if only Sugarman was so nice and gave the tapes someone or something else, you would have seen your win.  Rest in peace, Randy.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Two years ago...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 11:14:12 PM »
Oh fer God's sake.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Two years ago...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 11:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 03:58 PM\'] Even though I have this somewhere else and I don't know where.  For Randy not seeing his $25,000 Whew! on television, I blame Burt Sugarman because he owns the tapes and when GSN tried to purchase them he demanded too much money.  Randy if only Sugarman was so nice and gave the tapes someone or something else, you would have seen your win.  Rest in peace, Randy. [/quote]
 I think Randy was there when it happened, so it really doesn't make all that much difference.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Two years ago...
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 01:02:16 AM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Apr 9 2004, 08:59 PM\'] he was my hero; we all miss him; it was a shocker, i agree, chucknet [/quote]
Even though I have this somewhere else and I don't know where. For Randy not seeing his $25,000 Whew! on television, I blame Burt Sugarman because he owns the tapes and when GSN tried to purchase them he demanded too much money. Randy if only Sugarman was so nice and gave the tapes someone or something else, you would have seen your win. Rest in peace, Randy.
Was it really necessary to undig [no pun intended] this after 4 months?  I think not...no disrespect towards Randy intended.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 01:02:30 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ChuckNet

Two years ago...
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 06:01:37 PM »
I think Randy was there when it happened, so it really doesn't make all that much difference.

And in retrospect, it kinda seemed more fitting that Randy's $25K win finally surfaced after his untimely passing...it was as if he left one final "gift" for the GS community to enjoy and remember him by.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

carlopanno

Two years ago...
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 01:00:47 AM »
I knew Randy in passing when we were both attending CSUN: We were never close friends, but I knew a kindred spirit when I saw one and we traded game show stories now and then.

One day when I was on-staff at Jeopardy! I saw Randy troop in as one of the contestants. My heart sank, because although we were acquainted — somewhat — we weren't close friends and him seeing me could only cause trouble for both of us, especially if he said "Hi, Carlo!" When he lost on the last show before lunch, I went to the lunch area relieved, and then was very surprised to see that he was sticking around for lunch anyway. I made myself scarce that afternoon and didn't go on the stage again.

Later, I saw his posts on alt.tv.game-shows and we would e-mail from time to time. We had an occasional lunch.

Sorry to hear about his death, even at this late date. He was a good guy, and a true fan of the genre.

—C

passwordplus

Two years ago...
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 08:18:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 01:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Apr 9 2004, 08:59 PM\'] he was my hero; we all miss him; it was a shocker, i agree, chucknet [/quote]
Even though I have this somewhere else and I don't know where. For Randy not seeing his $25,000 Whew! on television, I blame Burt Sugarman because he owns the tapes and when GSN tried to purchase them he demanded too much money. Randy if only Sugarman was so nice and gave the tapes someone or something else, you would have seen your win. Rest in peace, Randy.
Was it really necessary to undig [no pun intended] this after 4 months?  I think not...no disrespect towards Randy intended. [/quote]
 Well, when they let a certain "troll" post here, what do you expect. Scroll up in the thread and notice the jump from Dec. to Apr. and who the first April poster was.