Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! players who were never incorrect.  (Read 2268 times)

Jimmy Owen

Jeopardy! players who were never incorrect.
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
Are there any J! players who were never incorrect, but didn't win the game?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
Actually, never being incorrect would be a recipe for losing, wouldn't it? If you get all your questions right because you didn't/couldn't ring in a lot, you're not likely to win.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
Actually, never being incorrect would be a recipe for losing, wouldn't it? If you get all your questions right because you didn't/couldn't ring in a lot, you're not likely to win.
You're assuming that the ONLY reason that someone got all his questions right is because he didn't ring in a lot.  The game is set up so that most people are right most of the time.  Otherwise, it would be a pretty sad little show.  I buzzed in a lot and was 22-2 in my losing effort.  Somebody else may have buzzed in just as much and not missed any.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rjaguar3

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
It happened this past Tuesday (July 17, 2012) with Kimberly.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3950

EDIT:  Also, Jim lost with no incorrect answers on June 15, 2012 http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3918
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:11:22 PM by rjaguar3 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
So twice in the last couple of months.  Yeah, this is a lot less rare than even I thought it would be.

A good follow-up question:  How often does a WINNER have no misses?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:46:50 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
I was discussing a different thing with Kevin Prather some time ago, but it plays into what Mr. Buddwing was saying: that a player who misses a couple but gets forty other ones right will beat someone who was always right a few times. I told Kevin about a laser-tag set that I had where the stationary target had a li'l computer in it that would calculate your score with this formula:

hits * (hits/attempts).

I liked that idea because it rewarded lots of hits and lots of tries instead of just a couple of hits and then stopping.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
hits * (hits/attempts).

I liked that idea because it rewarded lots of hits and lots of tries instead of just a couple of hits and then stopping.
It also penalizes someone who hits 20 times but misses 90 times. Also a good thing.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
You're assuming that the ONLY reason that someone got all his questions right is because he didn't ring in a lot.  The game is set up so that most people are right most of the time.  Otherwise, it would be a pretty sad little show.  I buzzed in a lot and was 22-2 in my losing effort.  Somebody else may have buzzed in just as much and not missed any.

And you were doing really well for yourself if I remember correctly. 'Cause weren't you the first player after KenJen became champion to really give him a run for his money?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022