Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jonathan Goodson's 'Price Is Right'  (Read 18099 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Jonathan Goodson's 'Price Is Right'
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
WHY would you even CONSIDER that?
WHAT'S the DIFFERENCE between that AND playING Range Game?

...because Range Game serves the most similar purpose to the showcase round as any pricing game does?

A loss is unsatisfying anyway you slice it, but why are you going to use Plinko as an end game and all but guarantee a bad outcome for the end of the show (in the sense of Plinko being a game that technically nobody's won)?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:17:35 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
One thing I thought would be neat would be to save the show's top tier games and use them in rotation for the showcase round.
WHY would you even CONSIDER that?
Man, did I pee in your Cheerios recently? Chill the eff out.

Price 94 used Range Game.
The French and Italian versions currently play Clock Game.
Aussie Price uses the pricing half of Hole In One with a dash of Bullseye I.
England uses "price within the range" that has been used as part of three or four different pricing games.

I worded it wrong (my fault), but I'm just of the belief that some of the pricing games, if tweaked right, would translate well as "bonus games" in the show's rotation.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 04:39:44 PM »

Now my question, and it's one I've thought about before...does anyone think a half-hour syndicated TPiR could work today? I know syndicators like double runs, so I doubt Drew would do that and the CBS version...
With CBS distributing WOF, J!, ET, Judges Judy and Joe, Dr. Phil, The Drs., etc. to syndication, why would they permit TPIR to take shares away from their established shows? If you don't have WOF or J!, you might be inclined to stay out of the prime access game show biz.  I know Detroit is currently airing Harvey Feud in access, but Steve has a good fan base in Motown.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:50:51 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
I believe the Des Moines area didn't get TNPIR94 at all. Am I correct on this?

Yes you are. It aired every weekday on KORN, but went completely over the heads of viewers across Iowa.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »

Now my question, and it's one I've thought about before...does anyone think a half-hour syndicated TPiR could work today? I know syndicators like double runs, so I doubt Drew would do that and the CBS version...
With CBS distributing WOF, J!, ET, Judge Judy and Joe, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, etc. to syndication, why would they allow TPIR to take shares away from their established shows?
Sorry if this is a stupid question...but would Price HAVE to go through the CBS/Paramount distributors if they wanted to take the show into syndie, or could they just take the show to someone like Debmar Mercury without some sort of permission? I was of the thought that the syndie and network parts of CBS were two fairly separate entities, and the syndication company would just have to pay CBS a fee for the syndication rights.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

With CBS distributing WOF, J!, ET, Judge Judy and Joe, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, etc. to syndication, why would they allow TPIR to take shares away from their established shows?
Sorry if this is a stupid question...but would Price HAVE to go through the CBS/Paramount distributors if they wanted to take the show into syndie, or could they just take the show to someone like Debmar Mercury without some sort of permission? I was of the thought that the syndie and network parts of CBS were two fairly separate entities, and the syndication company would just have to pay CBS a fee for the syndication rights.
It wouldn't have to be thru CBS but CBS would likely have to give permission and define parameters on when it can run (a la no Dr. Phil vs. Oprah), thus putting the show in such bad time slots that it wouldn't have the chance to succeed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:13:38 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
Also, what's curious to me is Bob burying the show on the daytime PIR.  At least 2-3 clips of him doing this are on YouTube.

I don't think it was so much him "burying" the show as it was clearing up the confusion between the two. Weren't the two shows largely sharing personnel behind the scenes?

And honestly, it's the fault of whoever at Goodson or Paramount gave the promo ideas to the ad agency. The way they presented it, it seemed like they were trying to promote TNPIR as a replacement for the original show (and I know I read in a couple of places back then that there had been talk about the regular PIR losing steam and a fair share of its audience entering 1994)- just another in the list of problems with the show.

Yes on one of them, Bob just seems to clear the matter, but on another it has a kind of "we're the real deal" overtones.

Did Bob ever mention Tom's version?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
A loss is unsatisfying anyway you slice it, but why are you going to use Plinko as an end game and all but guarantee a bad outcome for the end of the show (in the sense of Plinko being a game that technically nobody's won)?
You wouldn't. So it's probably a good thing that he didn't cite Plinko specifically by name.

On the other hand, Hole In One (or Two!) or Five Price Tags or One Away or Lucky Seven for a Showcase? Sure, why not?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
Yes you are. It aired every weekday on KORN, but went completely over the heads of viewers across Iowa.
Just another example why Iowa gets called "Flyover Country"... ;-)
-Joe Raygor

Bobby B.

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Davidson.  He wasn't Barker, but he wasn't trying to be.  He made it his own version.  He had his own little quirks, like calling the Magic # game the "geezmo" and calling the mountain climber Hans.  I was only 7 or 8 at the time, but I found the show to be a nice complement to the daytime show.  If you didn't like the syndie version, you could still watch the old familiar show on CBS in the mornings.  I thought the show was a fun little diversion from the main show.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:06:08 PM by Bobby B. »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »
He wasn't Barker
You're right. Doug's models actually liked working for him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Stevek83

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Davidson.  He wasn't Barker, but he wasn't trying to be.  He made it his own version.  He had his own little quirks, like calling the Magic # game the "geezmo" and calling the mountain climber Hans.  I was only 7 or 8 at the time, but I found the show to be a nice complement to the daytime show.  If you didn't like the syndie version, you could still watch the old familiar show on CBS in the mornings.  I thought the show was a fun little diversion from the main show.

I agree with you. I enjoyed watching TNPIR. I knew it was a different version as opposed to being a replacement show as some had thought (according to Barker). I still enjoy seeing it occasionally on YouTube. It had the same pricing games, the same excitement as the daytime counterpart had/has and we could still play at home and cheer for our favorite contestants.

alfonzos

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
I hated it from stem to stern. I remember watching one episode where the host blew through the show so quickly that the director stayed on the closing shot for about thirty seconds before fading to black.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:31:46 PM by alfonzos »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

J.R.

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »
I hated it from stem to stern. I remember watching one episode where the host blew through the show so quickly that the director stayed on the closing shot for about thirty seconds before fading to black.
Anyone shocked by this opinion? Didn't think so.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »
\Anyone shocked by this opinion? Didn't think so.
Alfonzo didn't like a game show? Stop the presses!
Travis L. Eberle