Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What replaced "Dinah and Friends?"  (Read 1990 times)

entguy1

What replaced "Dinah and Friends?"
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
A friend of mine posts a daily "today in history" bit on Facebook, and today it was that in 1974, Dinah Shore's NBC talk show had its last episode.

I'm assuming that it ended on a Friday, and that something new would have taken its place on Monday, July 30. But I can't find any shows that premiered on that day. I thought maybe it was Jackpot or Celebrity Sweepstakes, but they debuted elsewhere in '74. It's distressing me that I can't remember this.

Anybody?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »
Name That Tune, maybe?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
Name That Tune, maybe?
Correct.

Actually, the correct dates are 7/26/74 for the end of Dinah's Place and 7/29/74 for the debut of NTT.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:07:41 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
It was Name That Tune, and it actually debuted on July 29, 1974, which was a Monday.

The show it replaced was Dinah!, and reportedly the fans of the show were so upset about the cancellation that it eventually led to the Dinah and Friends 90-minute daily syndicated show that debuted a few months later.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »
The show it replaced was Dinah!, and reportedly the fans of the show were so upset about the cancellation that it eventually led to the Dinah and Friends 90-minute daily syndicated show that debuted a few months later.
I think you have that a little backwards.

The NBC show was Dinah's Place, and the syndicated 90-minute show was Dinah! (although there was a gag in the first episode when Jack Benny presented her with the giant sign for the show, and it said, "Liza!").
After further review, Dinah! was renamed Dinah and Friends in 1979 or so.
I can think of two times when the syndicated show played a part on other TV series; on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Loretta blurted out that she believed that the Jews were responsible for Jesus's death (which pretty much ended her country singing career on the spot), and on Alice, Mel and the waitresses were invited on for a cooking demonstration of Mel's chili.

Game Show related: during one week (that I know of) on Dinah's Place, they ran a mini-game show for kids called "Hold That Pose!"; I don't remember too much about it, except that it involved two teams of two kids trying to guess what person (usually historical, I think) was being depicted by an actor/actress acting in pantomime - the title comes from the fact that, when somebody buzzed in, Dinah yelled out, "Hold that pose!", and the actor froze in place.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:08:01 PM by That Don Guy »

Winkfan

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:49:50 PM »
Game Show related: during one week (that I know of) on Dinah's Place, they ran a mini-game show for kids called "Hold That Pose!"; I don't remember too much about it, except that it involved two teams of two kids trying to guess what person (usually historical, I think) was being depicted by an actor/actress acting in pantomime - the title comes from the fact that, when somebody buzzed in, Dinah yelled out, "Hold that pose!", and the actor froze in place.

I seem to recall that week aired during Easter week of 1974. Almost all the NBC game show guys appeared with Dinah. I said, "almost," do you know which one was unavailable that week?

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)