Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guest announcers  (Read 6487 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Guest announcers
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:50:25 PM »
Guest announcers. They used to be fairly normal, especially in the days when one man would be announcing several shows. That said, it seems the concept has all but disappeared. If an announcer isn't available, just dub him in post.

Obviously, this would be far too big a hassle to do with TPIR given the huge amounts of copy on that show, so Rod got his share of fill-ins when he was sick; there were the on-air auditions after his death and Rich's firing; and I think Burton filled in once because Rich had laryngitis. Likewise, Wheel did on-air auditions after Charlie's death (although I doubt the 3 weeks Johnny Gilbert did were true "auditions" so much as a last-minute replacement).

But beyond those examples, has any other show in the past several years had a guest announcer?
Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

Guest announcers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
Nope.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Guest announcers
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
Keep in mind a lot of shows don't even use main announcers anymore. Some do out of tradition, but it's looking like an endangered species...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Guest announcers
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
In a world where a guy with the nickname "Stuttering John" can be a network-level announcer, yeah, announcing is not that valued as an artform.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Guest announcers
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
In a world where a guy with the nickname "Stuttering John" can be a network-level announcer,
...and did a TON of voice training to get rid of said stutter before the fact, and in fact that stutter never once manifested itself during his tenure as Tonight Show announcer.

Way low blow. Unsurprising, considering the source, but utterly out of line.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Guest announcers
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »
Since we seem to have expanded our discussion to beyond game shows, it might be worth pointing out that both Paul Shaffer and Alan Kalter skip shows that fall during Jewish holy days, requiring a guest announcer (and separate guest bandleader) to handle their duties.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

Guest announcers
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
In a world where a guy with the nickname "Stuttering John" can be a network-level announcer,
...and did a TON of voice training to get rid of said stutter before the fact, and in fact that stutter never once manifested itself during his tenure as Tonight Show announcer.

I'd rather have professional announcers selected for announcing jobs.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Guest announcers
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
Well, I'd rather you realized how inappropriate your comment was.

Guess neither one of us gets what we want, do we?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GrandGame1440

Guest announcers
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
Since we seem to have expanded our discussion to beyond game shows, it might be worth pointing out that both Paul Shaffer and Alan Kalter skip shows that fall during Jewish holy days, requiring a guest announcer (and separate guest bandleader) to handle their duties.
I didn't remember Alan being absent in recent years, did anyone we might have heard of fill-in?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Guest announcers
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
it might be worth pointing out that both Paul Shaffer and Alan Kalter skip shows that fall during Jewish holy days, requiring a guest announcer (and separate guest bandleader) to handle their duties.
Who fills in for Alan?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

Guest announcers
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »
Who fills in for Alan?
Usually a woman, but I don't know her name.  It's extremely rare.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Guest announcers
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
Something else just hit me as to why a show may not use alternate announcers: in addition to everything being done in post, a lot of shows knock out their seasons over the summer or in a month or two, so it's not like Joey Fatone* has to worry about whether Chris Kirkpatrick can fill in for him this coming Tuesday, with Lance Bass announcing on Thursday.

I'd love to see more Johnny Olson or Charlie O'Donnell types, or hell, see Randy and Alan Kalter get more gigs, but I'm just happy that some game shows realize that announcers help set the mood just as well as a theme song. If the announcer has a set of pipes that brings an air of drama to the game and an extra dimension, then I'm fine. I'm not going to become a snob because they picked up a goofy shock jock sidekick or, in the current case of The Tonight Show, a voice talent who does work on Family Guy, among other shows.

*/Gotta admit, that was a left-field choice for Family Feud
//I really need to stop twiddling my thumbs and get into voiceovers
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Guest announcers
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
What exactly were John's Melendez' qualifications for getting the Tonight show?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Guest announcers
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »

I'd rather have you post a whole lot less, but like Chris L. said.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

Guest announcers
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
In a world where a guy with the nickname "Stuttering John" can be a network-level announcer, yeah, announcing is not that valued as an artform.
You are truly a shameful individual.
-Joe Raygor