Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF question  (Read 5887 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

WOF question
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
Who was the highest-known winner on that version of the show? Special themed weeks, such as teen week and couples week, don't count.

Jeremy Nelson

WOF question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
Who was the highest-known winner on that version of the show? Special themed weeks, such as teen week and couples week, don't count.
It was this one guy from somewhere....or maybe it was a woman. I distinctly remember Chuck talking about his/her "reign of terror"- no, it was Pat. Or it could have been Bob- hell, now that I think about it, it was probably Rolf who made that comment. That's all I got- hope it helps.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperMatch93

WOF question
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »
If we include Tournaments of Champions, then the all time winner was Judy Bongarzone, who won the '76 tournament with a total of $64,461.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

MikeK

• Martha!
WOF question
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
It was this one guy from somewhere....or maybe it was a woman. I distinctly remember Chuck talking about his/her "reign of terror"- no, it was Pat. Or it could have been Bob- hell, now that I think about it, it was probably Rolf who made that comment. That's all I got- hope it helps.
*open-handed slap across the face*

He clearly said between 1975 and 1989.  If you want to help, you need to pay attention to these details.

WilliamPorygon

WOF question
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »

He clearly said between 1975 and 1989.  If you want to help, you need to pay attention to these details.

Besides, Bob's version was so cheap that even if you did include his run, there's no way it could've been him.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:09:59 PM by WilliamPorygon »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
WOF question
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
I've long taken exception to referring to Bob's version as cheap. Why is giving $50 in cash cheaper than giving a $150 ceramic dalmatian which you didn't have to pay for due to the plug?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
WOF question
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:12:43 PM »
I've long taken exception to referring to Bob's version as cheap. Why is giving $50 in cash cheaper than giving a $150 ceramic dalmatian which you didn't have to pay for due to the plug?
Because $50 is less than $150?

Personally I think $1,500 or $2,000 is just about right for the top dollar value when you're playing Hangman on television. The "cheap!" comes from comparing not only the daytime version to the nighttime version, but the daytime version (with the $25,000 winnings cap, at that) to the NBC version which only ever put a limit on days you could retain the belt, not what you could win.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:13:40 PM by TLEberle »
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF question
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »
Because $50 is less than $150?
But it's more than "free," which is what the dalmatian is if it was given in exchange for the plug.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WhirlieBird74

WOF question
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
According to Maxene Fabe's 'TV Game Shows' book, ABC had a winnings cap of $20,000.  CBS had a cap of $25,000.  NBC had no cap, but the contestant was limited to two game shows on that network.  The contestant had to wait two years in-between shows before they could appear again (regardless of network).  On the daytime version, 'Wheel of Fortune' first had a five-day limit (later reduced to three days).  On Card Sharks and Password Plus, the contestant retired after seven matches.

Nowadays, all winnings caps have been abolished, especially for the syndicated 'Wheel' and 'Jeopardy!'  The contestant can only appear on a maximum of three shows in a 10-year period, with a one-year moratorium between each show.

As for Judy Bongarzone, she won her $64,000 in a 1976 NBC promotional sweepstakes--not as a contestant on 'Wheel'.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
WOF question
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:46:24 AM »
to the NBC version which only ever put a limit on days you could retain the belt

What I would give for Wheel of Fortune to hand out a championship belt.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:51:16 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Don Howard

WOF question
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »
Who was the highest-known winner on that version of the show?
Merv Griffin.

Jeremy Nelson

WOF question
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:33 AM »

Bob hosted for the latter half of '89...can we settle of half a slap? :)

to the NBC version which only ever put a limit on days you could retain the belt

What I would give for Wheel of Fortune to hand out a championship belt.
Still surprises me that the spinner belt is still the WWE Championship belt. That change is long overdue.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Don Howard

WOF question
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
Bob hosted for the latter half of '89...can we settle of half a slap? :)
No. It's a full slap for you. He said 1975-89 NBC daytime edition.
Bob did not host on NBC in 1989. CBS only. By the time he was on NBC-TV, 1989 had long past.
Here's an extra slap. Take it, say thank you and beg for others.

Bryce L.

WOF question
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
According to the "Wheel of Fortune History Wiki", there was a contestant in June 1989 (during Rolf's tenure) who left with $65,271, believed to the the largest win of the daytime run... not sure if any of that player's shows are circulating, though.

aaron sica

WOF question
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
I don't remember the top money winner's game on Bob's daytime version but I think she won the main game with $2,000. She kept getting lucky on that $75 space.