Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN greenlights "Family Trade"  (Read 9626 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN greenlights "Family Trade"
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
"With Family Trade, GSN launches a new category... that we call Real-Life Games-shows that take place in real settings and feature real-life risk and reward..."
The level of offensiveness in justifying this show by calling real situations with permanent effects a "game" is absolutely off the charts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:17:24 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »
I'm guessing TLC was too busy promoting parents whoring out their toddlers*, perhaps?

/*not meant to be taken in a literal sense
Shhh! Don't give Fox any ideas.

Coming Monday nights, now that House and 24 are both gone: Adopt Me, Please!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
Coming Monday nights, now that House and 24 are both gone: Adopt Me, Please!
Who Wants to Be Adopted by a Multimillionaire?

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
"With Family Trade, GSN launches a new category... that we call Real-Life Games-shows that take place in real settings and feature real-life risk and reward..."
The level of offensiveness in justifying this show by calling real situations with permanent effects a "game" is absolutely off the charts.
So they're really serious about these insipid categories they put these shows into, i.e. "Shiny Floor", "Real Life"?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
I can see their next show now...

"From the hit short story comes the game of real stakes, "The Most Dangerous Game." And you thought 'Survivor' was tough."
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jay Temple

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »

"From the hit short story comes the game of real stakes, "The Most Dangerous Game." And you thought 'Survivor' was tough."
My wife likes to watch Iron Chef. One of my recurring jokes is that they're doing this.

\"Tonight on Iron Chef, we celebrate baseball. You will cook a cardinal, an oriole and a diamondback."
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
Mike Burger prophesied the "dangerous game" idea ten years ago with Ten People, A Million Dollars and A Knife.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »

You know, to tell you the truth, I'm surprised no one's tried to adapt that to television yet- without the death and such. I might watch it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
You know, to tell you the truth, I'm surprised no one's tried to adapt that to television yet- without the death and such. I might watch it.
UPN's Manhunt says "I can see why you'd make that sort of error, I was a rather forgettable show in the summer of 2001."
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 01:28:08 AM »
UPN's Manhunt says "I can see why you'd make that sort of error, I was a rather forgettable show in the summer of 2001."
That was Vince McMahon's show, right? I remember Steve Beverly talking a lot about that show that summer...for some reason I thought was DOA and never made air?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 01:35:30 AM »
Someone should bring back "Tiny House":
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 01:50:05 AM »
That was Vince McMahon's show, right? I remember Steve Beverly talking a lot about that show that summer...for some reason I thought was DOA and never made air?
There was to be a bunch of WWE synergy, most of which fell through at some point. Professor Malfeasance went on a bit of a tirade concerning the show's cavalier attitude toward "reality," as contestants reported that after shooting was completed in Hawaii many scenes were reshot in Los Angeles, well after the conclusion of the competition.

I don't think it ever would have been a breakout hit, but it was at least an interesting idea that was brought crashing down due to terrible execution.
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
I'll allow that the premise is both stupid and dumb, but what's offensive about a long-winded and Variety-speak way of saing that "actions have consequences"?
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
I'll allow that the premise is both stupid and dumb, but what's offensive about a long-winded and Variety-speak way of saying that "actions have consequences"?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:18:31 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
I'll allow that the premise is both stupid and dumb, but what's offensive about a long-winded and Variety-speak way of saying that "actions have consequences"?
Because life decisions and life events often have permanent effects, and those effects are not always good.

"Aw, you got laid off and now you can't pay your mortgage? Guess you lost at the game of work! Ha ha! And your wife left you? Man, you lost at the game of marriage, too!"

Life isn't a game, man. If you want to call yourself a "reality" show, be a "reality" show, that's fine. But it's not a game, and for someone whose most difficult life decision in the next week is going to be "steak or lobster?" to dismiss "real-life risk and reward" as a "game," that's something I find offensive.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe