Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Freeze Frame  (Read 2953 times)

BrandonFG

Freeze Frame
« on: December 14, 2003, 05:30:54 PM »
I was looking through a magazine a couple years ago, and there was information on some show called Freeze Frame, c. 1982. I think Jack Clark hosted it, but I've never heard anything else about it.

Would anyone care to provide an explanation behind the show? Thanks!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

Freeze Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 07:43:03 PM »
I've never heard of it. EoTVGS doesn't list it, so it probably was an unsold pilot.

zachhoran

Freeze Frame
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 07:52:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 07:43 PM\'] I've never heard of it. EoTVGS doesn't list it, so it probably was an unsold pilot. [/quote]
 But since Freeze Frame was a 1982 pilot, was the J Geils Band hit of the same name in that year used as theme music?

BrandonFG

Freeze Frame
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 08:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 07:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 07:43 PM\'] I've never heard of it. EoTVGS doesn't list it, so it probably was an unsold pilot. [/quote]
But since Freeze Frame was a 1982 pilot, was the J Geils Band hit of the same name in that year used as theme music? [/quote]
 I'm pretty sure it wasn't a pilot. I remember posting a question about it on ATGS a few years ago. The response I got was by e-mail so I can't Google search it.

So now, for the remaining, the question remains open.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

zachhoran

Freeze Frame
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 08:09:18 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 08:04 PM\']
But since Freeze Frame was a 1982 pilot, was the J Geils Band hit of the same name in that year used as theme music? [/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a pilot. I remember posting a question about it on ATGS a few years ago. The response I got was by e-mail so I can't Google search it.

So now, for the remaining, the question remains open. [/quote]
 Freeze Frame might not have been a game show then, as it was never a series.

BrandonFG

Freeze Frame
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 08:42:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 08:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 08:04 PM\']
But since Freeze Frame was a 1982 pilot, was the J Geils Band hit of the same name in that year used as theme music? [/QUOTE]

So now, for the remaining, the question remains open. [/QUOTE]
Freeze Frame might not have been a game show then, as it was never a series. [/quote]
 I'm not going to go through this. I know what I saw, and when I asked the question on ATGS, I got a response via e-mail, which caused me to re-ask the question. The response told me that it was indeed hosted by Jack Clark but might have run in very limited markets. So the question once again stands to anyone familiar with it.

Matt Ottinger

Freeze Frame
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 11:05:39 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 09:42 PM\'] I'm not going to go through this. I know what I saw, and when I asked the question on ATGS, I got a response via e-mail, which caused me to re-ask the question. [/quote]
 Will there be a point when enough people tell you it wasn't a series that you'll believe them?  Just wondering how long I should expect the thread to get.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Freeze Frame
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 11:09:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 11:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 09:42 PM\'] I'm not going to go through this. I know what I saw, and when I asked the question on ATGS, I got a response via e-mail, which caused me to re-ask the question. [/quote]
Will there be a point when enough people tell you it wasn't a series that you'll believe them?  Just wondering how long I should expect the thread to get. [/quote]
 I'm through with it. Since I have nothing to prove my point with, just forget I ever asked the question.

zachhoran

Freeze Frame
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 11:10:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 11:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 09:42 PM\'] I'm not going to go through this. I know what I saw, and when I asked the question on ATGS, I got a response via e-mail, which caused me to re-ask the question. [/quote]
Will there be a point when enough people tell you it wasn't a series that you'll believe them?  Just wondering how long I should expect the thread to get. [/quote]
 I'm thinking it was a pilot. A Google search led to a post from 2000 regarding Freeze Frame and Banko as two supposed 80s pilots the poster read about. Banko was indeed an unsold pilot from 1986 with Wink Martindale. TV Game $how Magazine reported it was a "bingo at home" playalong game from Barry and Enright like the Jackpot Bingo franchise in some cities at the time. No word on what Freeze Frame was, however.

bricon

Freeze Frame
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 11:41:16 PM »
Freeze Frame was a pilot for a movie trivia related game show hosted by Jack Clark.   I don't recall who produced it, other than the fact that it wasn't Goodson/Todman, Bob Stewart, or Hatos/Hall.  More details if I can lay my hands on my copy of it.

BrandonFG

Freeze Frame
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 11:49:52 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Dec 14 2003, 11:41 PM\'] Freeze Frame was a pilot for a movie trivia related game show hosted by Jack Clark.   I don't recall who produced it, other than the fact that it wasn't Goodson/Todman, Bob Stewart, or Hatos/Hall.  More details if I can lay my hands on my copy of it. [/quote]
 So it was a pilot...(hangs head down) OK, my apologies, I really thought it was a series. For my mistakes, I shall now head off to the CS01 room with a nice warm plate of crow, with a side of humble pie. :-P

ChuckNet

Freeze Frame
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 11:26:52 AM »
Freeze Frame was a pilot for a movie trivia related game show hosted by Jack Clark.

And they apparently tried to sell it again in 1984, this time w/Bob Eubanks at the helm.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

Freeze Frame
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 11:42:01 AM »
I remember reading about the proposed 82 series in one of the trade magazines at the time.  I think Firestone was to have distributed it.  If you have a good college library around, I would recommend reading back-issues of Variety, Broadcasting or Television-Radio Age (now defunct) from the first quarter of each year from the mid-70's on.  There were tons of game shows pitched at NATPE that never went into production.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:43:33 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Freeze Frame
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 11:51:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 11:42 AM\'] I remember reading about the proposed 82 series in one of the trade magazines at the time.  I think Firestone was to have distributed it. [/quote]
 Didn't Firestone, in addition to being the distributor of late 70s and early 80s Chuck Barris programming, also syndicate the reruns of Jim Perry CS that aired in many cities from 1982-84(and on CBN in 1984-85).

BrandonFG

Freeze Frame
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 02:29:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 11:42 AM\'] I remember reading about the proposed 82 series in one of the trade magazines at the time.  I think Firestone was to have distributed it.  If you have a good college library around, I would recommend reading back-issues of Variety, Broadcasting or Television-Radio Age (now defunct) from the first quarter of each year from the mid-70's on.  There were tons of game shows pitched at NATPE that never went into production. [/quote]
 Yep...the one I read was Broadcasting, before they added the "& Cable" part. I think the reason I was so adamant about it being an actual series was that there was one picture that looked like a print-out of a ratings sheet. Now that we know it was a pilot, I'll probably go back to the book and see what exactly I was reading (and/or smoking). :-)