Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Queen for a Day" is back  (Read 3136 times)

Robair

"Queen for a Day" is back
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
http://www.queenforadaythemusical.com/

Well-known gamesman takes the role of TV host Jack Bailey in a "Hairsprayesque" take on the Ike-era weeper. Could Broadway beckon?
--Robair

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
http://www.queenforadaythemusical.com/

Well-known gamesman takes the role of TV host Jack Bailey in a "Hairsprayesque" take on the Ike-era weeper. Could Broadway beckon?

The first thing that popped into my head upon reading this: I live in the Boston area and thus was able to see the earliest version of Car Talk: The Musical (based on the NPR show) being performed by an amatuer troupe at Suffolk University. The plot centered around a giant car puppet dubbed the "Wizard Of Cahs" and voiced by the soon-to-be retired Magliozzi brothers. Said show has since had its professional premiere at a theater in Cambridge, Massachusetts, so who knows, maybe Broadway will beckon...

For that matter, I visited Las Vegas in February, and when I told my father I was buying tickets to the live stage shows of Name That Tune and The Price Is Right, he actually thought I meant Name That Tune: The Musical and The Price Is Right: The Musical. I can only imagine...

geno57

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
Jack Bailey scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid.  I don't know why.

narzo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
Jack Bailey scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid.  I don't know why.

it's the pencil mustache, any old guy with one of those has secrets

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »

He said Jack Bailey not John Waters. Hi-yo!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

narzo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »

He said Jack Bailey not John Waters. Hi-yo!

I'm not sure Mr. Waters has any secrets, I think it's all pretty much out there.

geno57

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »
I'm not sure Mr. Waters has any secrets, I think it's all pretty much out there.

As an aside ... Have you read about John Waters' recent cross-country hitchhiking odyssey?  I look forward to whatever film or video he releases.

narzo

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »

As an aside ... Have you read about John Waters' recent cross-country hitchhiking odyssey?  I look forward to whatever film or video he releases.

Actually he just spent a great deal of time in Minneapolis and I ran into him.  No shock, it was at a notorious kitschy bar called Liquor Lyles which is famous for it's 70s era decor (they still have red vinyl booths) and he fit right in.  Tremendously nice and funny fellow, but he is really starting to look his age.  Still has the mustache, but looks more like someones Grandfather than the man behind "Pink Flamingos".

DrBear

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
That shouldn't be a surprise - Waters has been at this a long time, although a lot of folks didn't catch onto him until, say, "Hairspray."

I saw him in an appearance at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh back in the mid-70s, after a screening of "Female Trouble." Very much the same as he is now, and a lot of fun to listen to.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

vtown7

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:31:55 AM »
Searching for an article in a local newspaper and an pop up ad came up for this - didn't initially click the link because I figured it wasn't close to me... apparently I was quite wrong!  Theatre is about 20 minutes from my house and I think I'll try to get some tickets. Will let you know how it goes.

R.