Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It was forty years ago today....  (Read 5230 times)

Matt Ottinger

It was forty years ago today....
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »
A day none of us who are old enough to remember will ever forget, and a day that younger ones have come to recognize as historic.  Forty years ago today, CBS debuted three new games. All three would become bona fide hits, one a classic.  Happy birthday to The Joker's Wild, Gambit and of course The Price Is Right.  Price will have a special anniversary celebration today, so be sure to tune in.

Even more astonishingly, and this doesn't get mentioned much, within a year of that remarkable debut date, CBS would also add Match Game '73 and The $10,000 Pyramid to its lineup.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »
I will be taping the 40th ann'y ep today. Looking forward to seeing the previous contestants.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
CBS went through an astounding transformation during the 70s. I'm sad that I wasn't around to see it. However, I'm glad that the many moments the shows have provided us with were preserved to witness for numerous generations.

Happy birthday to them all.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
A day none of us who are old enough to remember will ever forget, and a day that younger ones have come to recognize as historic.  Forty years ago today, CBS debuted three new games. All three would become bona fide hits, one a classic.  Happy birthday to The Joker's Wild, Gambit and of course The Price Is Right.  

What a season premiere!  (And how lucky for us to have been inside that morning, rather than doing something silly like running around or playing in the sunshine!)
czambo@mac.com

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
Price will have a special anniversary celebration today
And Drew can't be bothered to put on a tie for it. George looks dapper, though. (that wasn't spoiler material, was it?)

Winkfan

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
A day none of us who are old enough to remember will ever forget, and a day that younger ones have come to recognize as historic.  Forty years ago today, CBS debuted three new games. All three would become bona fide hits, one a classic.  Happy birthday to The Joker's Wild, Gambit and of course The Price Is Right.

I'm sure there are those like me who consider TJW and Gambit as classic as TPIR.

Even more astonishingly, and this doesn't get mentioned much, within a year of that remarkable debut date, CBS would also add Match Game '73 and The $10,000 Pyramid to its lineup.

But come next year, they'll get mentioned just as much.....

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »
No, they won't. Not nearly as much. Here and there in this forum perhaps but not in too many other places.
The Young and the Restless ending Year 40 will probably get some treatment on March 26th since its run has been continuous.
SMACK! (take two) SWAK!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:45:48 PM by Don Howard »

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »
No, they won't. Not nearly as much. Here and there in this forum perhaps but not in too many other places.
The Young and the Restless ending Year 40 will probably get some treatment on March 26th since its run has been continuous.
SMACK! (take two) SWAK!
If we're lucky, and the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, Pyramid's anniversary could get a mention on The Pyramid if it is still around.

As for The Young and the Restless, they will be getting a special Price episode for their 10,000th.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »
If we're lucky, and the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, Pyramid's anniversary could get a mention on The Pyramid if it is still around.
And it just so happens that by then, the Age Of Aquarius will have dawned (doing so on December 21st of this year).

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
A day none of us who are old enough to remember will ever forget, and a day that younger ones have come to recognize as historic.  Forty years ago today, CBS debuted three new games. All three would become bona fide hits, one a classic.  Happy birthday to The Joker's Wild, Gambit and of course The Price Is Right.  Price will have a special anniversary celebration today, so be sure to tune in.

And yet, no love for Hollywood's Talking (which premiered the same day as The $10,000 Pyramid, IIRC).

Here's some trivia: except for Hollywood's Talking (which itself was a reworking of Everybody's Talking), each of the CBS shows that debuted within a few months of TPIR has been cancelled, brought back, cancelled a second time, brought back again (if you count Catch 21 as Gambit), and cancelled yet again.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
Here's some trivia: except for Hollywood's Talking (which itself was a reworking of Everybody's Talking), each of the CBS shows that debuted within a few months of TPIR has been cancelled, brought back, cancelled a second time, brought back again (if you count Catch 21 as Gambit), and cancelled yet again.
Call me late to the party, but when was Catch 21 cancelled?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
How long can a show not make new episodes and still not be cancelled?
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
When did new shows stop? I was under the impression that they were still making new shows.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:41:27 PM by Kevin Prather »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
When did new shows stop? I was under the impression that they were still making new shows.
The last batch of 130 was recorded in summer 2010.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 06:53:43 AM »
IIRC, Classic Concentration aired in reruns for a little over two years.
--Mark
Phil 4:13