Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd, new Pyramid "ruling"  (Read 4748 times)

Thunder

Odd, new Pyramid "ruling"
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:58 PM »
I believe a very limited amount of music can be used without incurring royalties. In the days of olde it used to be four bars but they changed that to three or five seconds -- an expert on music royalties could tell you. But that's how clues could be sung on P+ and SP.

mbclev

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
They're trying to litigate or legislate spontaneity out of our lives with all this "no singing" stuff.  Most game shows these days are owned by foreign companies based in countries where people are generally don't do things on the "spur of the moment."  (I read a book on European customs and manners and found out that the Dutch are generally not spontaneous.)

Thank God there's one show that's still American-owned, and that is "It's Academic".  I'm enclosing some YouTube clips where former host Mac McGarry breaks out into song spontaneously:

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
I believe a very limited amount of music can be used without incurring royalties. In the days of olde it used to be four bars but they changed that to three or five seconds -- an expert on music royalties could tell you. But that's how clues could be sung on P+ and SP.
Slightly related, but when I worked in news, if we played a video with a song clip, we had to fill out a royalties sheet for anything over (IIRC) 10 seconds (might've been 5). Not sure how it would work with The Pyramid.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
They're trying to litigate or legislate spontaneity out of our lives with all this "no singing" stuff.
You are taking game shows WAY too goddamn seriously if you are making statements like this.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
They're trying to litigate or legislate spontaneity out of our lives with all this "no singing" stuff.
You are taking game shows WAY too goddamn seriously if you are making statements like this.
I direct you to take another look at the handle, and ask if you are the least bit surprised.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
I direct you to take another look at the handle, and ask if you are the least bit surprised.
Not in the least. Makes my statement no less true, though. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe