Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Dollar Money Drop Lawsuit  (Read 2698 times)

Matt Ottinger

Million Dollar Money Drop Lawsuit
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
Remember the couple who lost most of their money on what turned out to be a flawed question about which of three products was introduced first?  They made several public appearances and threatened to sue, even though they ended up losing on a later question anyway?

This isn't them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
Hee. That just isn't going to end well for them.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
No two ways about that. "According to IMPERVA" means "What did IMPERVA say?". IMPERVA said the answer was A. Bad question? Maybe, but not flawed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:04:34 AM by Kevin Prather »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »
Perhaps, but that means that any factual untruth is open season as long as you prefix it with "According to...".  Really , it feels like a cheap out to excuse factually incorrect questions by including the source as part of the question.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
Perhaps, but that means that any factual untruth is open season as long as you prefix it with "According to...".  Really , it feels like a cheap out to excuse factually incorrect questions by including the source as part of the question.
Oh, it absolutely is.

But in this case, if the quotes were taken accurately, they're even contradicting themselves. They're claiming Imperva had the (wrong) answer they selected, and then claiming it's based on poor research.

(also, with a question like that, if they're claiming ANY sort of industry knowledge whatsoever, and STILL failing to choose "password", they're idiots, pure and simple.)

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
(also, with a question like that, if they're claiming ANY sort of industry knowledge whatsoever, and STILL failing to choose "password", they're idiots, pure and simple.)
For a second there, until I clicked the link, I thought you were claiming that they were idiots for choosing to be on Million-Dollar Money Drop instead of Million-Dollar Password.

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »
For a second there, until I clicked the link, I thought you were claiming that they were idiots for choosing to be on Million-Dollar Money Drop instead of Million-Dollar Password.
Well, I'll make that argument too, but I suspect I won't hear from many dissenters. :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
A lot more detail and analysis (much of it snarky) appears in a new Hollywood Reporter guest column.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
They can certainly sue. Whether they get any money as the result of the suit is another matter. IIRC, this was a question on Bergeron's Hollywood Squares. Forgot the source, but he said the most common password used for computers was PASSWORD. There wasn't a whole big argument about it either, but yeah, it didn't cost anyone over a half-million dollars. Chalk up another win for the lawyers.

The people suing might be hoping that they'll get a settlement to make them shut up and go away.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:39:45 PM by BillCullen1 »