Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid's new rules  (Read 2107 times)

Otm Shank

Pyramid's new rules
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:36:45 AM »
I haven't kept up with all of the episodes so far (and the DVR is getting kind of bloated). I'm piecing together the rule changes of the new version. What are the rule changes from classic Clark to the current version? And, I mean, not the structural things like the value of the winner's circle, bonuses, etc., but the things that are an alteration of the gameplay. This is what I have so far:

• Although allowed in early episodes, you can't sing clues, because we'd have to bleep ya. (They docked a point for it on one episode. Harsh!)
  • Tiebreakers are as many as possible, and you can pass or be cuckooed into oblivion and still win. (Re-ties obviously edited out.)
  • Synonyms are allowed in the Winners' Circle from what I can tell (not listed in the prohibitions, but I haven't seen buzzed yet).
  • If you pass in the front game, it will return into play after the 7th answer.
  • You can say a passed answer, but only before the clues begin for the next answer, instead of at any point before the clock expires. (I think this is in the front game and the winner's circle.)
  • Every round is "but keep playing," because of the 7/7 bonus. However when the win is sealed and the bonus opportunity is lost, they do not shut down the game midway.

And as an oddball, I saw "Kayne" accepted as an answer instead of the usual "West."

Any others that I'm missing?

[Edit: removed unintended smear]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:08:02 AM by Otm Shank »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:42:45 AM »
Oh gawd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Otm Shank

Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:45:40 AM »
Seriously, I try to contribute to the forum things that I judge might be of shared interest. If it's a problem, please kill the thread and don't waste everyone's time.

clemon79

Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »
Seriously, I try to contribute to the forum things that I judge might be of shared interest. If it's a problem, please kill the thread and don't waste everyone's time.
Well, let's dial it back a second, then. I am curious to know why you feel this list needs compiling.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »
Mikeymid (not intended as disparaging)
How else are we to understand that? Mikey certainly isn't his given name, and I've never heard him referred to as that.

Yes, you've hit upon some of the changes from the mid-80s version. So what? Isn't that to be expected?
Travis L. Eberle

Otm Shank

Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 03:30:53 AM »
OK, reset.

I have always jumped into any of those judging threads on prior Pyramids, as I felt I understood not only the rules, but the nuances in applying them for that format.

Because one of my non-game-show projects has gathered a little bit of press attention lately, I haven't been able to keep up with the show since the debut and this forum as I once did. I have caught a handful of episodes only, and had time to pop one in tonight. I was noticing a few things in those 4-5 episodes I've seen, and so I was hoping to get feedback on what the differences were. I knew that they were intending to be faithful to the original, and I expect some changes.

Sorry about getting all frosted with my retort before. You will see that is not my style around here. I usually am just a lurker here, anyway. But my response shouldn't have been so combative.

As for the Varietyesque coined title for the current version, I was just trying to be a little clever. It's apparently the best I can do at a late hour. I actually like Mike Richards hosting style on the show, so that's why the disclaimer.

Discuss if you want to, if it's not interesting it will sink down the list on the Big Board until it disappears from view. Just trying to be part of the discussion, not to start anything at all.

Peace,
Ben

dale_grass

Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:42:19 AM »
I actually like Mike Richards hosting style on the show, so that's why the disclaimer.

Yeah, but see, if you thought of the disclaimer then you were aware of the disrespectful nature of calling him 'Mikey' (see -road.net, golden) and of the general disdain of the version of Pyramid with the nickname Donnymid.  I'd just as soon not see this version have any parallels with Donnymid, right down to its nickname.

Otherwise, I thought the rest of the post was fine.

clemon79

Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »
I was noticing a few things in those 4-5 episodes I've seen, and so I was hoping to get feedback on what the differences were.
Okay, and here's my vibe.

99% of the time someone has posted about a "difference," since the show started its run, it has very much been with an air of "That shiat never would have flown on the Dick Clark version and I don't like that because change is hard." And when you post bits like "Mikeymid" and "cuckooed into oblivion," it very much gave off an air of "Hey, let's all put together a list and rehash all of the reasons why this show sucks!" Laundry list threads are tedious enough on their own, much less when they're beating the horse that assumed room temperature a week ago, and we've been seeing a lot of them lately.

As for the Varietyesque coined title for the current version, I was just trying to be a little clever.
What Dale said. If you felt the need to disclaimer it you knew it had the potential to be incendiary.

Discuss if you want to, if it's not interesting it will sink down the list on the Big Board until it disappears from view. Just trying to be part of the discussion, not to start anything at all.
True enough, and I apologize for my own frustration.

Otm Shank

Pyramid's new rules
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:48 AM »
Fair criticism. I read my post over, and I guess the moral of the story is don't post while sleep deprived. I wrote everything at face value, but once I threw out that one term that was taken a way I hadn't intended, it colored the rest of the post. As a writer, I should have known better, too.

I agree, the online commentary in the game show genre for the past, oh, 14 years, has a large percentage of this sucks, and this changed, and this protest of minutiae. It has caused me to walk away from this and other forums for a time over the years.

And, so, I didn't want to further this side discussion; I just wanted to acknowledge the comments so that we can move on. So, if you can allow my senior moment (sheesh, already?), I'd like to take a mulligan. Thanks.