Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcer taping schedules with multiple shows  (Read 4581 times)

spb1962

Announcer taping schedules with multiple shows
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »
This is partially related to my earlier post regarding taping schedules, only this one is for announcers Johnny Olson and Gene Wood during the mid to late 70's when they did multiple shows at one time.  What days did each announcer tape these shows?

Johnny Olson (1974-75)
The Price is Right (CBS daytime)
The Price is Right (syndicated nighttime)
Match Game 74/75 (CBS daytime)
Concentration (syndicated)
Now You See It (CBS daytime)

Gene Wood (1977-78)

Family Feud (ABC daytime)
Family Feud (syndicated nighttime)
Tattletales (CBS daytime)
Tattletales (syndicated nighttime)
The Better Sex (ABC daytime)

NOTE: Card Sharks came on the air during the 1977-78 season in April after Tattletales and The Better Sex were canceled.

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
With regard to the shows that had both daytime and nighttime versions, some of them did 6 in a row  - all 5 daytime, and then the 1 syndicated weekly (of which Price, Tattletales, and Feud (up until 1979)) were, correct? That may make announcing duties easier, at least for those..

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
With regard to the shows that had both daytime and nighttime versions, some of them did 6 in a row  - all 5 daytime, and then the 1 syndicated weekly (of which Price, Tattletales, and Feud (up until 1979)) were, correct? That may make announcing duties easier, at least for those..

I believe Match Game did six shows a day (five daytime and one PM). Not sure about FF or TT, but it's possible. TPIR did daytime and syndie shows on different days, I believe, even after Barker took over the nighttime duties from Dennis James.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:49:30 PM by BillCullen1 »

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
Love that Johnny O is alive and well on this board!

"Price" generally taped M, T, W approx 3 weeks per month.
"MG" taped on Sats and Suns, also not every week.
"Nighttime Price" was taped on a less structured schedule. As a weekly show so few episodes were needed.

The weeks/years that Carol Burnett taped, the game shows had to be out for her Thursday blocking and rehearsals, and Friday tapings.
The years that Johnny did Jackie Gleason's CBS Saturday night show from Florida, Johnny was on a plane Friday afternoon.
Syndicated "Concentration" was a gangbang of taping over the summer; the first to do 7 episodes a day. The entire season was taped in a few weeks at KTTV/Metromedia Square.

But if you'd read "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time" you'd have known all this... and lots more!    ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mmb5

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
Syndicated "Concentration" was a gangbang of taping over the summer
Actual quote from Johnny?
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
I'm sure Johnny Gilbert announced multiple shows the same time he did J! I know during J!'s first season he also announced Every Second Counts and Anything for money.  He also announced Pyramid the same time he did J! As well as $1M COAL and Perfect Match.

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »
I think Johnny O's Fall of 1976 schedule was impressive:

Datime TPIR (60 min) and nighttime TPIR
MG '76 and PM
Concentration
Double Dare - with Alex Trebek

Now THAT's a schedule - and Johnny was planning to retire in the early 70s, which turned out to be his busiest working decade.

NOTE - I have Randy's book, but I read it over a year ago.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:50:52 PM by BillCullen1 »

Argo

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

MG '76 and PM
Concentration

Now THAT's a schedule - and Johnny was planning to retire in the early 70s, which turned out to be his busiest working decade.

Another one of those "What If" questions, but just wondering if there was anyone else in the running for announcer for TPIR or did Goodson specifically ask for Olson? Also, when did Johnny head out to Hollywood? Was his first regular LA Show TPIR?

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »

Another one of those "What If" questions, but just wondering if there was anyone else in the running for announcer for TPIR or did Goodson specifically ask for Olson? Also, when did Johnny head out to Hollywood? Was his first regular LA Show TPIR?

I don't know of any other announcers in the running for TPIR in 1972.

Johnny officially started working from Hollywood in 1972. He announced Steve Allen's IGAS and TPIR, which originally was only going to be on once a week with Dennis James. CBS picked it up since they were looking for daytime game shows. CBS wasn't crazy about Dennis, so they told Mark Goodson they wanted Bob Barker, who was doing the Miss Universe and Tournament of Roses Parade for CBS. Thus TV history was made for better or worse, depending on how you feel.

I recently saw the "pitch reel" Mark Goodson made with Dennis James trying to sell TPIR to local stations.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:09:32 PM by BillCullen1 »

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

MG '76 and PM
Concentration

By unanimous recollection of all who were at Goodson-Todman and at CBS, Johnny was the only one considered for the show. Mark Goodson understood that the ambitious production and the massive quantity of announcer copy would require the best of his team - Frank Wayne, Mark Breslow, etc., including Johnny O.

Johnny was preparing for retirement at that moment, but with his wife Penny's blessing he took the L.A. assignments and began a bi-coastal lifestyle.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
According to Tyshaun1, Press Your Luck normally taped 11 episodes every other weekend (5 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday). Rod Roddy taped his first episodes as permanent TPIR announcer around January 1986 (they aired a month later). PYL ended later that same year.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:24:45 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
I'd like to know Jane Nelson's schedule circa 1974-75. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
Syndicated "Concentration" was a gangbang of taping over the summer
Actual quote from Johnny?
NOT a direct quote from Johnny, although definitely the truth.
Johnny's actual quotes are extensive and clearly marked in the book - great insight to the man behind the voice.

P.S. Just performed TPiR in Minnesota, about 90 minutes from Johnny's hometown. He's well remembered today, and a mention of his name brough acknowledging applause. I was happy to hear that reaction.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:58:35 PM by tvrandywest »

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
According to Tyshaun1, Press Your Luck normally taped 11 episodes every other weekend (5 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday). Rod Roddy taped his first episodes as permanent TPIR announcer around January 1986 (they aired a month later). PYL ended later that same year.
Welcome back, I guess.

I see you haven't learned much at all during your absence.
-Joe Raygor

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

Ummm, yeah.

Tyshaun (1)