Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Schedule changes on Game TV  (Read 5067 times)

vtown7

Schedule changes on Game TV
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
Canada's Game TV has pretty much had the same shows for quite awhile, so it's nice to see a change of programming. Updates include...

GONE: Love Me Love Me Not, Love Handles, Acting Crazy, Aussie and UK Gladiators, among others.

STAYS: Game On (sports trivia), Canadian Supermarket Sweep (with apparently new episodes), Talkabout (with apparently new episodes), You Bet Your Ass

WELCOME TO: Bumper Stumpers, New Liar's Club, The Block (Australia), Eco Challenge, The Dating Game, Pyramid (apparently Donny's version, even though the site lists the new GSN Pyramid logo) and this season's Family Feud.

Cheers,
Ryan.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
Two things come to mind:
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but America's GSN is also available on a lot of Canadian cable systems, right? The one time I was in Canada, I was able to watch GSN at my hotel.
  • When were Supermarket Sweep and Talkabout revived in Canada? Is this a recent development? Who's hosting?

catnap1972

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »
I wonder which version of TDG?

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
Oh to be in Canada... Comedy Gold up there is now running Match Game 73, with all plugs and credits intact.  I'm guessing it's a tie-in for the new version upcoming.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:44:05 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
Two things come to mind:
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but America's GSN is also available on a lot of Canadian cable systems, right? The one time I was in Canada, I was able to watch GSN at my hotel.
  • When were Supermarket Sweep and Talkabout revived in Canada? Is this a recent development? Who's hosting?

Correct - GSN is widely available here in Canada.  As to Sweep and Talkabout, they are new to Game TV episodes - ie still reruns, but not the ones they've been previously re-running into the ground.  My apologies for the mix-up!

Ryan.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
Two things come to mind:

Correct - GSN is widely available here in Canada.  As to Sweep and Talkabout, they are new to Game TV episodes - ie still reruns, but not the ones they've been previously re-running into the ground.  My apologies for the mix-up!

Ryan.

OK - makes sense. Thanks Ryan.

saussage

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
Oh to be in Canada... Comedy Gold up there is now running Match Game 73, with all plugs and credits intact.  I'm guessing it's a tie-in for the new version upcoming.
I saw tidbits of it. Why can't GSN do this? As well, how can Comedy Gold get a hold of these eps? Was it not GSN that got these eps digitized in the first place? Why would they want other networks to show eps of what they salvaged from reels and reels of old tapes? I actually enjoy Comedy Gold in doing this. I wonder if other game shows will make their way to Comedy Gold. BTW: Are they time-crunching the eps if it's the full show or are they staggering the commercials or putting in less commercials in order to make the shows fit within the time block?
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »
Why would they want other networks to show eps of what they salvaged from reels and reels of old tapes?
Because...the other network is paying them, if it is indeed content they own in the first place?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

catnap1972

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »
As to Sweep and Talkabout, they are new to Game TV episodes - ie still reruns, but not the ones they've been previously re-running into the ground.  

When you say "rerunning into the ground", how many episodes in the rotation are we talking about?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:46:20 AM by catnap1972 »

vtown7

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
I believe Sweep was around 40 and Talkabout was around 30.

Note: Dating Game version is Brad Sherwood's!

R.

Lirodon

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
Well, some of it might peek your interest, some of it ehh, not so much. They got a new logo (which isn't too bad), and they've added an odd assortment of new shows to the schedule. And I mean it when I say odd: as with everything else that network airs, they've got slight airs of obscurity:

• The Dating Game '96
  • Pryamid (Judging by my EPG, its Donnymid.)
  • Family Feud (given the theme going on here ... I have a strange suspicion its Anderson)
  • Bumper Stumpers (Has GSN ever had this one?)
  • Eco Challenge
  • The New Liar's Club
  • The Block (I've sorta heard of this one; it's quite big in Australia)
  • Pressure Cooker? (Okay, this is strange. Wikipedia says they were only half-hour episodes, but its on for a full hour here. Could this be a different show?)

It's nice to see some more American shows on there now (I think they had Dog Eat Dog for a bit too at some point), but like we've said in the past, there's still a few good Canadian shows I'm quite surprised they haven't picked up yet. Does Bell Everything But Non-Media own any ancillary rights to Definition? And again, they're still airing non-game stuff (nightly movies and now Footballers' Wives?!), but they've dropped all the poker and backgammon shows (yes. they had backgammon somehow)

gamed121683

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
Yeah, we had another thread on this a few days back.

And to answer the OP----yes, GSN has aired "Bumper Stumpers".
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

saussage

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 01:45:51 AM »
Why would they want other networks to show eps of what they salvaged from reels and reels of old tapes?
Because...the other network is paying them, if it is indeed content they own in the first place?
Can we say then that Comedy Gold has a similar arrangement in place? I would be happy to see other networks use GSN tapes that they don't use often or want to stop using altogether. But, I would assume paying GSN for tape access is only the first part of the deal. They would also need to pay the rights holder of the shows in a separate deal (pardon my ignorance but if you're going to pay GSN for tape access, it really doesn't mean squat if you are not allowed to rebroadcast them).

I'm just happy to see new content North or the border!
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

RyanCDN

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
I need to get back to watching GameTV.  It started to fizzle after seeing the same stuff over and over again.  It will be interesting to see the new take of Match Game that is going to be debuting soon.

- Ryan (AKA The Other Canadian that isn't vtown) ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:30:47 PM by RyanCDN »
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”