Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Truth or Consequences, Treasure Hunt being shopped  (Read 5028 times)

Matt Ottinger

New Truth or Consequences, Treasure Hunt being shopped
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »
Everything old is new again.  The Treasure Hunt reboot has an interesting collection of names behind it.

Story
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:22:33 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
I can't see Truth Or Consequences ever working again. Sorry. It's just an outdated format.

Treasure Hunt, though, I think could possibly be pulled off - the comedy element is, in my mind, enough to differentiate it from Deal Or No Deal. If you can't get Geoff Edwards back, then this is one of the few game shows I think you should hire an out-of-work comedian for - can you imagine how much fun Howie Mandel or Wayne Brady or whoever would have with those sketches?

Yes, I realize those two are already taken, but you get the idea.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »
I can't see Truth Or Consequences ever working again. Sorry. It's just an outdated format.
...as Let's Make A Deal rolls into another season.

If you can't get Geoff Edwards back
Make no mistake about this: you can't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
If Treasure Hunt comes back, I wonder if they would continue the policy of having only women contestants. Nevermind, apparently it will be played with couples.

I'm worried about ToC coming back because the producers may over-dramatize bits of it (similar to You Deserve It), especially since the tear-jerking reunion moments were such a big part of the original.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:49:30 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
Could they? Probably. Should they? No.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
You know you're old (and have a lush, green lawn) when your co-worker asks, "Why is it called Truth or Consequences, New Mexico?", and "Why such a long, and stupid, name?"  

Actually happened to me today.

trainman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »
In the spirit of "Oh Sit!", I vote for "Stunt!" as the new T or C title, and the new Treasure Hunt being called "Luck You!"
trainman is a man of trains

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:55:56 AM »
What ever happened to Gurin's revival of The Money Maze a few years ago? Uh huh, I thought so.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 06:29:36 AM »
I guess it appears the big nets are done with quizzes? Must be to suit today's popular tastes. T or C and Treasure Hunt (Barris style) fit nice in the mold of the only two net daytimers, Price & Deal. Not a lot of wide knowledge, plenty of luck, and emotion-tuggers. Very little gray matter challenged. At least with the Murray Treasure Hunt there was a Q&A showdown for the right to pick a chest. Granted, some of the rare question screw-ups on shows like Money Drop might make a net nervous, but I still hate to think we've sunk to such a low level that any game involving even a bit of thinking lately (Lingo, Feud) have to resort to dong humor to garner ratings. Even though I'm no longer on a cable or satellite system, thank heavens for GSN. Gotta chuckle, tho...have been so desperate for a challenge on the few over-the-air channels I get, I'm getting into MG's Crosswords again, despite how bad it is.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
While ToC may have been rendered an obsolete stunt-show format, does anyone think Beat the Clock has been too? (A bit off-topic.)
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »
While ToC may have been rendered an obsolete stunt-show format, does anyone think Beat the Clock has been too? (A bit off-topic.)
Of course not.  What is Minute to Win It but a Beat the Clock ripoff with a crazy-inflated prize structure?  Heck, even Fear Factor had a lot of BtC to it.  At some point, somebody will come out with a stunt show and call it Beat the Clock, you can be sure.

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:11:22 PM »
What ever happened to Gurin's revival of The Money Maze a few years ago? Uh huh, I thought so.

Did he really attempt it? There are worse ideas to try to bring back and make something of. (Quite possibly, Truth or Consequences.)

One line of Gurin's makes me wonder how many episodes he saw: "What's amazing, looking at old episodes, is that most people would answer the 'truth' question incorrectly in order to subject themselves to the consequence." Didn't the buzzer sound almost the instant Barker finished reading the question, making it impossible to answer at all?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 04:47:26 AM »
The questions were almost impossible to answer correctly, therefore, they likely answered incorrectly or timed out because they didn't know the answer.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
One line of Gurin's makes me wonder how many episodes he saw: "What's amazing, looking at old episodes, is that most people would answer the 'truth' question incorrectly in order to subject themselves to the consequence." Didn't the buzzer sound almost the instant Barker finished reading the question, making it impossible to answer at all?
The questions were almost impossible to answer correctly, therefore, they likely answered incorrectly or timed out because they didn't know the answer.
From childhood memories (which would mean late in the syndicated run) I recall both of these to be true.  I also recall that some of the questions were in the form of punny riddles that Barker would milk for groans.  I even remember once, a contestant actually got a question right...and all they did was ask him another one.  

The game was never about answering the questions, and if Gurin thinks it was, then yeah, that's a bad start.

JMFabiano

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
I guess it appears the big nets are done with quizzes? Must be to suit today's popular tastes. T or C and Treasure Hunt (Barris style) fit nice in the mold of the only two net daytimers, Price & Deal. Not a lot of wide knowledge, plenty of luck, and emotion-tuggers. Very little gray matter challenged. At least with the Murray Treasure Hunt there was a Q&A showdown for the right to pick a chest. Granted, some of the rare question screw-ups on shows like Money Drop might make a net nervous, but I still hate to think we've sunk to such a low level that any game involving even a bit of thinking lately (Lingo, Feud) have to resort to dong humor to garner ratings. Even though I'm no longer on a cable or satellite system, thank heavens for GSN. Gotta chuckle, tho...have been so desperate for a challenge on the few over-the-air channels I get, I'm getting into MG's Crosswords again, despite how bad it is.

You know, I was thinking about this when reading the article on Buzzerblog about The Pyramid's ratings being better in some slots than others.  Obviously the re-education process needs to continue (as the latest versions of Password and Chain showed us), which is why I hope TP will succeed.  I hope they don't follow the edgier, more YouTube Moments philosophy in panic.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.