Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG-HSH reasons  (Read 8459 times)

gsnstooge

MG-HSH reasons
« on: December 16, 2003, 08:37:36 PM »
The reason why Jon Bauman was hired instead of Peter Marshall was probably the same reason why bluffs were not written and there were no regulars on The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.
The reason there were no bluffs was that Mark Goodson believed game shows needed to focus on the game and not making jokes.
To me, with no bluffs and winning by default, the gameplay on Hollywood Squares goes faster.

Skynet74

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 10:04:52 AM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\']
The reason there were no bluffs was that Mark Goodson believed game shows needed to focus on the game and not making jokes. [/quote]

He should of focused on getting a better host.

John

zachhoran

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 10:39:52 AM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\'] The reason why Jon Bauman was hired instead of Peter Marshall was probably the same reason why bluffs were not written and there were no regulars on The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.
 [/quote]
 I thought Peter himself stated in his "Backstage with the original Hollywood Square" autobiography that he was under serious consideration to host the HS portion of the MGHS hour(whether or not he would have played the MG portion is unknown), but then it was decided to go with Bowzer at host. Marshall, like Bauman, played a couple of weeks of MG circa 1980.

JMFabiano

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 11:53:02 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\'] The reason why Jon Bauman was hired instead of Peter Marshall was probably the same reason why bluffs were not written and there were no regulars on The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.
 [/quote]
I thought Peter himself stated in his "Backstage with the original Hollywood Square" autobiography that he was under serious consideration to host the HS portion of the MGHS hour(whether or not he would have played the MG portion is unknown), but then it was decided to go with Bowzer at host. Marshall, like Bauman, played a couple of weeks of MG circa 1980. [/quote]
 If I remember SB and his words on the matter, Bauman was chosen because of the dreaded "attracting a younger demographic" explanation.  Yeah it still feels like a stretch even in 1983 that Bowzer would be considered "hip."  Other than that I always thought they wanted a MG player as HS host to pull the double duty.  Still I don't remember Bauman being great shakes as a panelist on MG.  And of course, Peter Marshall WAS A MG panelist on occasion, and even if they didn't want him for whatever reason, there were tons of great panelists who could double as a host.  

Even with all that said, I am one who didn't mind Bauman as much as others.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

calliaume

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 12:42:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:53 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\'] The reason why Jon Bauman was hired instead of Peter Marshall was probably the same reason why bluffs were not written and there were no regulars on The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.
 [/quote]
I thought Peter himself stated in his "Backstage with the original Hollywood Square" autobiography that he was under serious consideration to host the HS portion of the MGHS hour(whether or not he would have played the MG portion is unknown), but then it was decided to go with Bowzer at host. Marshall, like Bauman, played a couple of weeks of MG circa 1980. [/quote]
If I remember SB and his words on the matter, Bauman was chosen because of the dreaded "attracting a younger demographic" explanation.  Yeah it still feels like a stretch even in 1983 that Bowzer would be considered "hip."  Other than that I always thought they wanted a MG player as HS host to pull the double duty.  Still I don't remember Bauman being great shakes as a panelist on MG.  And of course, Peter Marshall WAS A MG panelist on occasion, and even if they didn't want him for whatever reason, there were tons of great panelists who could double as a host.  

Even with all that said, I am one who didn't mind Bauman as much as others. [/quote]
 Given that Marshall had just hosted the flop gamerietyramagogo Fantasy in the same time slot, perhaps NBC didn't want him associated with the new show.

Perhaps Peter's agent wanted more money than MGP was willing to pay.  I have to think Bauman got less for Match Game-Hollywood Squares than Gene Rayburn did.

GS Warehouse

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 12:47:21 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 12:42 PM\'] gamerietyramagogo [/quote]
 Anybody got any aspirin?

Robert Hutchinson

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 02:32:25 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\']The reason there were no bluffs was that Mark Goodson believed game shows needed to focus on the game and not making jokes.[/quote]
That explains the 70s version of Match Game not at all.

I thought the main reason there were no written bluffs was that Goodson was worried about approaching the line of improper game show practices. Not to say that he was correct to worry, just that I thought that was his reasoning.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 02:44:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 02:32 PM\'][quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\']The reason there were no bluffs was that Mark Goodson believed game shows needed to focus on the game and not making jokes.[/quote]
That explains the 70s version of Match Game not at all.

I thought the main reason there were no written bluffs was that Goodson was worried about approaching the line of improper game show practices. Not to say that he was correct to worry, just that I thought that was his reasoning.[/quote]
Purely and simply, Goodson didn't like feeding jokes to the panelists.  He always boasted that "MG" was a 100 percent ad lib show--and since he was adverse to feeding *anything* to the panelists, they made all of the questions multiple choice or true-false, so they wouldn't look too stupid (which is the reason "Squares" briefed in the first place, so that the panelists were less likely to be embarrassed).

Of course, there was the "gambiting" on the panel shows back in the 50s, but that was feeding misinformation to a comedian who wanted to go for the laughs and let Arlene/Dorothy/Bill/Joanie do the heavy-duty game playing.

PeterMarshallFan

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 05:44:27 PM »

Ditto. I liked him as a host, and I think he would've fit in nicely had he gotten more time.

zachhoran

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 07:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 05:44 PM\']

Ditto. I liked him as a host, and I think he would've fit in nicely had he gotten more time. [/quote]
 Bauman might not be an awful choice to host a Name that Tune revival. If one ever were to happen(with a live band, not with music videos being shown), they could do worse than to use him as a host. He's been a rock and roll guy of sorts for some 35 years now, and a new NTT would probably focus more on rock era tunes and less on standards. He fit in OK for the Pop N ROcker Game in 1983-84, which had musical performances from artists of the era(Culture Club, Oingo Boingo, Irene Cara, etc.), and had questions about then-recent pop and rock music.

Jay Temple

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 01:18:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 01:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 08:37 PM\']The reason there were no bluffs was that Mark Goodson believed game shows needed to focus on the game and not making jokes.[/quote]
That explains the 70s version of Match Game not at all. [/quote]
 Keep in mind that MG as it aired for the first time in 1973 didn't have the jokes that we're familiar with.  I didn't pay close attention, but I imagine they got more games in before they made that change.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 02:56:55 PM »
I remember SB and his words on the matter, Bauman was chosen because of the dreaded "attracting a younger demographic" explanation.
And you believed him? This is another example of the nutty Perfesser turning speculation into fact (I very much doubt the Perfesser ever had a conversation with Goodson or Jake Tauber about it). If they were concerned about young demos then why would they have a sixty-something Gene Rayburn as the MG emcee? Or why would Goodson continue to use a 200-year-old Kitty Carlisle on TTTT '90? In 1983 demos weren't the obsession they are today, least of all with Mark Goodson. Bobby Sherman liked Jon Bauman as a P+ and MG player, but why they would deem him superior to Peter Marshall as a HS emcee is a mystery.

I had a conversation with Roger Peterson during the run of MG/HS. At the time a lot of people in the company knew Goodson was blowing it by not supplying joke bluffs and by booking a bunch of "nobody" panelists. Roger's idea was to use Betsy Palmer as a panelist. Okee ...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 03:00:31 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 03:24:27 PM »
Prior to MGHS and PnRG, did Jon ever do a show with out the Bowzer regalia?  Now I'm not saying he should have hosted as Bowzer, but that was his claim to fame, it's like Clayton Moore hosting a show with out a mask.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 04:06:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 01:24 PM\'] Prior to MGHS and PnRG, did Jon ever do a show with out the Bowzer regalia? [/quote]
 Not that I can think of, but I believe at least a few of his P+ appearances were as Jon "Bowzer" Bauman, and I KNOW that Allen referred to him as "Jon" many times  on the show.

Besides, Sha Na Na wasn't all THAT obscure a phenomenon in the 70's, and I think even in 1983, even THEY were still well-remembered (if not well-known) enough that the second Bauman opened his mouth they would know who he was. To borrow your analogy, it's not like you CAN put a mask on Gilbert Gottfried... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

MG-HSH reasons
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 11:17:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 02:56 PM\']
I remember SB and his words on the matter, Bauman was chosen because of the dreaded "attracting a younger demographic" explanation.
And you believed him? This is another example of the nutty Perfesser turning speculation into fact (I very much doubt the Perfesser ever had a conversation with Goodson or Jake Tauber about it). If they were concerned about young demos then why would they have a sixty-something Gene Rayburn as the MG emcee? Or why would Goodson continue to use a 200-year-old Kitty Carlisle on TTTT '90? In 1983 demos weren't the obsession they are today, least of all with Mark Goodson. Bobby Sherman liked Jon Bauman as a P+ and MG player, but why they would deem him superior to Peter Marshall as a HS emcee is a mystery.

I had a conversation with Roger Peterson during the run of MG/HS. At the time a lot of people in the company knew Goodson was blowing it by not supplying joke bluffs and by booking a bunch of "nobody" panelists. Roger's idea was to use Betsy Palmer as a panelist. Okee ... [/quote]
 So, in other words...SB...IFOS?????? ;-)  

And yeah, Bauman was not a bad game player as a panelist.  Even in Bowzer get-up.  Still, when you think of "host-o-genic" males who were great MG panelists, I would still be surprised to see him top someone's list.  Even though I didn't find him as annoying as a lot of others do.  (Somewhere between Pat Bullard and Ray Combs...you figure it out)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.