Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question regarding Let's Make a Deal and announcers in zonks  (Read 1539 times)

spb1962

Question regarding Let's Make a Deal and announcers in zonks
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
My question is primarily regarding the Monty Hall and Jay Stewart era of Let's Make a Deal, but could be for the later eras as well.

For anyone who has watched the original and best era of LMAD (my earliest memory is of the ABC daytime and syndicated nighttime version through 1977), you well remember that Jay Stewart was frequently featured in the many zonk prizes.  When Jay was not on the trading floor bringing trays with boxes, pricing items, etc., was his off stage announcing position hidden from view of the audience and the trading floor?  A visible empty announcer spot would certainly be a clue a zonk may be somewhere.

I am a long-time fan of the original LMAD and was just curious about this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
When Jay was not on the trading floor bringing trays with boxes, pricing items, etc., was his off stage announcing position hidden from view of the audience and the trading floor?  A visible empty announcer spot would certainly be a clue a zonk may be somewhere.
Considering this was the same show where it was a pretty safe bet that if there was a white cross-latice (think Celebrity Sweepstakes) underneath the sign displaying the supply of Z-Brick, there was a car behind it, I doubt they worried overmuch about those details.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Otm Shank

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
A visible empty announcer spot would certainly be a clue a zonk may be somewhere.
Or retrieving a display item.

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »
Jay's off-stage mic was out of sight of the audience. When he wasn't visible on the trading floor, he was in an enclosed, out-of-sight announce area. When shows featured zonks that required him to be in costume, Jay told me he would over-dress - layer the costume under his sport jacket and pants. The show's wardrobe mistress acted as his dresser during tapings, helping him in and out of clothes and costumes, often while he was reading prize or product copy. I, and other collectors, have video of Jay being helped into a costume while he's reading - it's part of a making of LMAD documentary.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

spb1962

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »
Jay's off-stage mic was out of sight of the audience. When he wasn't visible on the trading floor, he was in an enclosed, out-of-sight announce area. When shows featured zonks that required him to be in costume, Jay told me he would over-dress - layer the costume under his sport jacket and pants. The show's wardrobe mistress acted as his dresser during tapings, helping him in and out of clothes and costumes, often while he was reading prize or product copy. I, and other collectors, have video of Jay being helped into a costume while he's reading - it's part of a making of LMAD documentary.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Good stuff.  Thanks!

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »

Randy
tvrandywest.com

He's on the road in Bethlehem, PA and still he posts--the man never stops!

Good to meet you in person.