Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sony email leaks, or how the NFL picked the wrong producer to mess with  (Read 16125 times)

Thunder

Re: Sony email leaks, or how the NFL picked the wrong producer to mess with
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »
Someone with more first-hand knowledge can answer, but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that contestants are sometimes briefed that a certain category must be taken top-to-bottom. This wouldn't be too much different.

That has been mentioned here before.

Neumms

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Remember, Harry Friedman making a big deal about Jeopardy and Wheel being pre-empted is an entirely different thing than when Brian Henke does it.  He did everything right -- fighting fiercely for his properties, while keeping it out of the public eye. 

If he really wanted to make a stink, he could have left the million-dollar win as the Thursday episode. He could have promoted the hell out of it, watch it get pre-empted, then watch for the uproar. He was more diplomatic than that, though.

I was surprised CBS ran that half-hour of pregame. They could have left in on NFL Network and start coverage at 8 eastern, which included 20 minutes of pregame anyway.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
Hmm, I'm not so sure they would tell the contestants ahead of time. Is there anything in the rules about round length? Seems like it can be arbitrary, but does that go against S&P?
Someone with more first-hand knowledge can answer, but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that contestants are sometimes briefed that a certain category must be taken top-to-bottom. This wouldn't be too much different.

I've shared first-hand that this is what happened in my game.  There was one category that featured visual images, and we were told that we had to take that category from top to bottom.  Something about how their server was loaded.  I can't say whether they still do that or not.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »
In this recent episode, video clues were taken out of order ($400; $600; $1,000; $800), so I assume that they've updated their technology to be able to handle contestant bouncing.

colonial

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
Bumping this up to note that CBS will do Thursday Night Football again in 2015, so expect more producer wars down the road ... :)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/01/18/cbs-and-nfl-to-continue-thursday-night-football-partnership-for-2015-season/351537/

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »
Why couldn't CBS just say to Harry, "if you've got a problem, go find yourself another distributor?" I would think that'd be their biggest bargaining chip.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Why couldn't CBS just say to Harry, "if you've got a problem, go find yourself another distributor?"
Because then they lose whatever money they get carrying Jeopardy. And I'm guessing that's a large-ish sum these days.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 12:15:02 AM »
Why couldn't CBS just say to Harry, "if you've got a problem, go find yourself another distributor?"
Because then they lose whatever money they get carrying Jeopardy. And I'm guessing that's a large-ish sum these days.

But couldn't they say "we've got other properties that we can use to absorb whatever potential hit losing Jeopardy, and by association Wheel, would do to our bottom line?" if it came to that?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
But couldn't they say "we've got other properties that we can use to absorb whatever potential hit losing Jeopardy, and by association Wheel, would do to our bottom line?" if it came to that?

If they in fact do, sure. But it's way more complicated than that: not only do you have to have other properties, but you have to cover the loss of WoF and J! *and* still pull in whatever you would pulled in from those properties in the first place, and all you have to do that with are whatever resources you are currently applying to WoF and J!. And if they have properties that they think they can do *that* with...well, they'd find a way to get the resources they need to accomplish that now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe