Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 80s Pyramid (any Tony Randall Appearances?)  (Read 2775 times)

Argo

80s Pyramid (any Tony Randall Appearances?)
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »
Just wondering, did Tony Randall ever play the Pyramid in Los Angeles? He was such a good player and pretty popular enough that he could have been on. Was he not invited due to his, as Dick put it "being difficult" (but I think that was more playing for the camera), or did Tony just decline the offers? The last time I saw him on a game show was on Celebrity Jeopardy in the 90s. I don't know if he didn't have anything to plug, but still would have been nice to see him on the later pyramid shows.

If he did show up does anyone have any episodes of him from the 80s ones?

M
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:17:37 PM by Argo »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »
Nope. No L.A. era Pyramid appearances for Tony after $50K Pyramid in 1981.

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
Yeah, there's really no explanation other than he probably wasn't asked. I know Tony often gave Dick Clark and the judge a hard time, but he didn't throw a chair like Shatner did. Stewart did fly some NYC celebs in, like Anita Gillette, Lynn Redgrave, Nipsey Russell and Soupy Sales. Yet other celebs like Anne Meara and Tony Randall weren't on. Also, so-so players like Shatner, Lawford and George Marahis weren't on 80s Pyramid either.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:48:18 PM by BillCullen1 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »
There were a few NYC era players that didn't do the 80s version, I never got the impression that it was ever anything personal. The 80s version had a different style from NY, so to speak...not as loosely-structured, so Tony would've looked out of place IMO. I always thought the "difficult" comments were just Dick playing it up for laughs.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Argo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
There were a few NYC era players that didn't do the 80s version, I never got the impression that it was ever anything personal. The 80s version had a different style from NY, so to speak...not as loosely-structured, so Tony would've looked out of place IMO. I always thought the "difficult" comments were just Dick playing it up for laughs.

I think if they spread out and got more exciting celebrities then I think it would have added more excitement. Guests like Tony Randall added to the spontaneous feeling of the 70s version. I always looked forward to the Vicki Lawrence episodes for some entertainment, other than that the 80s version had almost a Trebek Jeopardy excitement to it, but maybe they wanted to have it a more serious show anyway.

M

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »

Yeah, me too.....When I think of a difficult Tony on Pyramid, it ain't Randall....

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
I always thought the "difficult" comments were just Dick playing it up for laughs.
If nothing else, he knew not to say "shit." :-)

narzo

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
to our always attentive MODS:  is this in the proper forum?

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:17:32 PM »
Tony Randall was doing Love, Sidney in 1982 - I don't know whether that taped in NYC or not.  If so, that might partially explain his absence.
I could put a video of the Love, Sidney show open to make it fit the forum, but it would still be a stretch.

GSFan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Tony Randall was doing Love, Sidney in 1982 - I don't know whether that taped in NYC or not.  If so, that might partially explain his absence.
I could put a video of the Love, Sidney show open to make it fit the forum, but it would still be a stretch.

Love, Sidney taped in NYC, at the former Reeves Teletape Second Stage studio on Broadway and West 81st Street.  Originally the RKO 81st Street theater,  it was also used as CBS Studio 72.  The 1957 production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella was produced there.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Stevek83

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »
The 80s version had a different style from NY, so to speak.

Being born in the 80's I grew up watching the 80's version. Lately I've been watching a handful of 70's Pyramid on YouTube and I too felt that there was something different about it, but I couldn't tell what that was.

The Tony Randall clip was funny, especially seeing Dick Clark falling to the floor :)