Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Summer Bartholomew  (Read 5462 times)

Mario

Summer Bartholomew
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »
I have some thoughts about Summer Bartholomew, who as we all know had been the co-host of $ale of the Century from December 31, 1984 to March 24, 1989.

On her Wikipedia entry, it suggests she kept a low profile immediately after $ale ended its run in 1989, as did main host Jim Perry.

Prior to $ale, her initial claim to fame was being crowned as Miss USA of 1975. In the game show realm, she not only was a tryout as Susan Stafford's replacement on Wheel of Fortune sometime between October 25 and December 10, 1982, but it's also been known she actually filled in for Susan on several 1977 (male actor Arte Johnson also assumed the post for a few days) and 1979 episodes of the same show. I can only guess, but by chance, did she ever fill in for Vanna White on any of the post-December 10, 1982 daytime or syndicated Wheel of Fortune episodes?

A little bit of trivia: Summer Bartholomew was named after Summer Olsen, a love interest in the obscure postwar comic, Steve Canyon. Also: model/actress/DJ Summer Altice, born December 23, 1979, was named after our Summer.

As I was gazing the Celebrity birthdays/obits page, she was left out of it. She was born on November 20, 1951 in Merced, CA, US.

~Ben
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:37:38 PM by Mario »

BrandonFG

Summer Bartholomew
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:33:17 PM »
As far as I know, Vanna only took off for the funeral of her boyfriend in 1986, and I believe again during her pregnancy (early-90s). For the former, Susan Stafford filled in. I can't remember who filled in during the latter, but it was neither Susan nor Summer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

Summer Bartholomew
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
Tricia Gist filled in in 1991.

Mario

Summer Bartholomew
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
Tricia Gist filled in in 1991.
She was Tony Griffin's wife. Tony himself is the son of Merv.

~Ben

Mario

Summer Bartholomew
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
I also want to know whether or not Summer Bartholomew and/or Jim Perry were ever aware of the U.S. version of Temptation (hosted by Rossi Morreale)?

~Ben

Matt Ottinger

Summer Bartholomew
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
I also want to know whether or not Summer Bartholomew and/or Jim Perry were ever aware of the U.S. version of Temptation (hosted by Rossi Morreale)?
I'm sure you'd have to ask them that, wouldn't you?  How would any of us know whether they even pay attention to the television industry anymore?  Perry is far removed from that life these days, but that doesn't totally preclude him from hearing about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Summer Bartholomew
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
As far as I know, Vanna only took off for the funeral of her boyfriend in 1986,

The first reference I've found to Summer being a guest was here. She modeled bridal gowns during a Brides Week in 1977.

I once found an article saying that Summer returned in late 1977 after Susan injured her back while rehearsing for Circus of the Stars, but I can't seem to find it now. Summer and Cynthia Washington filled in again in May-June 1979 after Susan dislocated her shoulder in a car accident, as verified here.

In fact, here's a (poor quality) clip from one of Summer's episodes in 1979.

and I believe again during her pregnancy (early-90s).

Actually, her honeymoon — and as mentioned, Vanna's substitute in January 1991 was Tricia Gist. Tricia apparently returned in March due to Vanna having a bad cold.
Bobby Peacock