Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Jeopardy! home game question  (Read 3471 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Another Jeopardy! home game question
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »
I dusted off my Simpsons Deluxe Jeopardy! game tonight to weather the storm and I got to wondering...is it/was it (ever) possible to order the answer sheets and question booklets from Pressman directly or did you have to buy the newer editions of the box games to get more questions?

The reason why I ask is because I think it would be easier to just buy separate sheets and booklets if possible so you don't HAVE to buy the new editions (assuming, of course, that the boards are universal).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
There's a reason why Yahtzee score sheets and replacement Monopoly money are the closest things you'll see to expansion packs on a store shelf: the companies WANT you to keep keep buying the game- especially if it's based on a well known property like Jeopardy, Wheel, or Feud- all of whom could have easily released question/puzzle/survey extensions. Granted, the profit margin would have been pretty good considering they would have been selling you a pack of paper for $7 to $10, but it's a whole lot easier to them to slap NEW UMPTEENTH EDITION on the box and charge you $20.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »
I don't know what you'd call an expansion pack, but there's a Monopoly Stock Exchange released in 1936, and in 2001, that adds a layer beyond real estate. There are also games based on the corner spaces (In Jail and Free Parking) that can be played by themselves, or adding a further element to the game.

Unfortunately eventually you have to go back to playing Monopoly though, so there's that.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
There's a reason why Yahtzee score sheets and replacement Monopoly money are the closest things you'll see to expansion packs on a store shelf:
The pile of Trivial Pursuit card sets in my game library say "wasaaaaaaaaaaaaap."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
The pile of Trivial Pursuit card sets in my game library say "wasaaaaaaaaaaaaap."
With a howdy-back from Genus III, Genus IV, Genus V, Volume 6 and the various Pop Culture/time capsule boxes?
Travis L. Eberle

Mike Tennant

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
It seems to me I sent away for an extra set of puzzles for my Pressman WoF game back in the '80s, but I could be wrong about that. Does anyone else remember if this was possible?

Also, according to the definitive website for such things, "MB also sold Puzzle Roll #3 (1960) separately between the releases of the second and third editions [of Concentration].  That roll of rebus puzzles is extremely rare today."

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
With a howdy-back from Genus III, Genus IV, Genus V, Volume 6 and the various Pop Culture/time capsule boxes?
But you of all people know my point, as the owner of a Dominion set: the comment "There's a reason why Yahtzee score sheets and replacement Monopoly money are the closest things you'll see to expansion packs on a store shelf" is ludicrous at its face.

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »
But you of all people know my point, as the owner of a Dominion set: the comment "There's a reason why Yahtzee score sheets and replacement Monopoly money are the closest things you'll see to expansion packs on a store shelf" is ludicrous at its face.

I specifically had the Trivial Pursuit question sets in mind when I asked the question, guys...I was wondering also if they still made those, considering it's been so long since I actually played a current Trivial Pursuit set. Perhaps I should check my local stores out.

(Mike T., I'm curious as to that myself- I had a couple Pressman Wheel sets myself, with the blue plastic letter board with the sliders and all, and I'm pretty sure there was something in there that enabled you to order extra puzzle sets. I could be wrong though.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »
(Mike T., I'm curious as to that myself- I had a couple Pressman Wheel sets myself, with the blue plastic letter board with the sliders and all, and I'm pretty sure there was something in there that enabled you to order extra puzzle sets. I could be wrong though.)
I will third remembering this to be the case.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:14:30 PM by clemon79 »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
There's a reason why Yahtzee score sheets and replacement Monopoly money are the closest things you'll see to expansion packs on a store shelf:
Point taken, but wasn't Trivial Pursuit a fairly expensive board game when it was released? In that case, an expansion that cost noticeably less than a new edition would be logical for both the manufacturer and the merchant putting the game on the shelf in the first place, wouldn't it?

My argument was based in terms of a mainstream store, where you could find a board game based on an insanely popular game show- I've never seen Dominion outside of a hardcore board game-specific store.

Now that you mention it...I DO remember there being an insert in my Wheel Deluxe Edition where you could order other games from the Pressman library.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:48:52 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

Fourth. I remember also there being an insert with the option for more puzzles.

EDIT: Fifth after Jeremy Nelson.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:57:00 PM by aaron sica »

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
I don't think that's QUITE the same, Jeremy, but that I can confirm. Doubt they still do that, but I remember some of the titles- how exactly is a Newlywed Boardgame played? (calling it that purposely)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »
I don't think that's QUITE the same, Jeremy, but that I can confirm. Doubt they still do that, but I remember some of the titles- how exactly is a Newlywed Boardgame played? (calling it that purposely)

From the looks of this picture from the back of the box, just like the show, without the spouse leaving the room.

/At least, not until AFTER the game.

alfonzos

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
I don't know what you'd call an expansion pack, but there's a Monopoly Stock Exchange released in 1936, and in 2001, that adds a layer beyond real estate. There are also games based on the corner spaces (In Jail and Free Parking) that can be played by themselves, or adding a further element to the game.

Unfortunately eventually you have to go back to playing Monopoly though, so there's that.

You can download the variant from this link. You will need to make three Chance and three Community Chest cards that say, "Go to Stock Exchange" to complete the kit. Highly recommended!

Regarding Rio Grande Games's Dominion, there is now a Base Cards set containing Treasures, Victory, Curse, Trash, and Blank Cards.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »
For sure. And what's funny about that is that I'm waiting on an Alhambra module. But isn't there a huge gap between Those Games Of Ours and what you would find on your Target shelf? I'm pretty sure that Target wouldn't waste space on The Vizier's Favor or Ticket to Ride: Alvin and Dexter, but I bet they have a shedload of Monopoly collectible editions.

Here's a big question to the membership at large: Exactly what are you wanting in a Yahtzee or Monopoly expansion?
Travis L. Eberle