Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSs played only by celebrities  (Read 2617 times)

Jimmy Owen

GSs played only by celebrities
« on: December 17, 2003, 04:55:04 PM »
What was the longest lasting game show on which only celebrities played?  I have a guess, but I might be forgetting a show or two.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 05:04:31 PM »
Has to be "Pantomime Quiz", doesn't it?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 05:43:41 PM »
That was the one I was thinking of, "Stump the Stars" included.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 07:27:38 PM »
What about TattleTales, and the Monty Hall version of Beat The Clock?

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 07:35:41 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 07:27 PM\'] What about TattleTales, and the Monty Hall version of Beat The Clock? [/quote]
 The All-Star run of Monty's BTC didn't even make 13 weeks IIRC. Tattletales is the second longest running show with all celebs playing, behind Pantomime QUiz.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 10:57:35 PM »
I'd argue that the G-T panel shows (TTTT, IGAS, WML, etc) had the celebrities doing more playing than any of the contestants the show had.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 01:52:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:57 PM\'] I'd argue that the G-T panel shows (TTTT, IGAS, WML, etc) had the celebrities doing more playing than any of the contestants the show had. [/quote]
 I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but that's not what Jimmy asked.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 11:06:02 AM »
I'd argue that the G-T panel shows (TTTT, IGAS, WML, etc) had the celebrities doing more playing than any of the contestants the show had.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but that's not what Jimmy asked.

:::Narrows his eyes:::  Fine then, I'll rephrase in a more assertive tone.  I'd say that the G-T panel shows, which had the celebrities doing more of the actual playing, would qualify.  Which one had the longest run (combined) and would that be longer than what has already been suggested?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 11:23:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:06 AM\'] :::Narrows his eyes:::  Fine then, I'll rephrase in a more assertive tone.  I'd say that the G-T panel shows, which had the celebrities doing more of the actual playing, would qualify.  Which one had the longest run (combined) and would that be longer than what has already been suggested? [/quote]
 WML? and IGAS I'd probably grant you, but I kinda have to draw the line on TTTT.  You could make the argument that the two liars on TTTT were bona fide contestants, whose job it was to steer the panelists to vote incorrectly for them (and the more successful they were, the more money the team of challengers won).  So you could argue that the civilians were just as integral to the game play as the celebrities.  On WML? and IGAS, a contestant couldn't lie to throw the panelists off the track (although the panelists were pretty good at getting thrown off without that much help), and anything hazy was clarified by the host.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 11:28:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:06 PM\'] Fine then, I'll rephrase in a more assertive tone.  I'd say that the G-T panel shows, which had the celebrities doing more of the actual playing, would qualify. [/quote]
 Well, as long as we're being all assertive, let me be more blunt and say you're simply wrong.  The question was very simple: which game played ONLY by celebrities lasted the longest.  Not which game played MOSTLY by celebrities.   I can assure you that Jimmy is very familiar with the G-T panel shows (all of which lasted longer than Pantomime Quiz, BTW).

Starkman

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 11:37:58 AM »
Id say FIO would not qualify as GS played only by celebs, wont say they werent celebs but some of the stupidity of questioning that went on there made me think sometimes that they were stalling to let the contestant win (esp in the 1st 2 rounds)

But otherwise I agree, panel shows with the exception of TTTT would count as GS's played only by celebs since they were the ones trying to accomplish the objective (finding out the secret) in TTTT the objective was on the contestants (dupe the panel)

Winkfan

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 05:16:52 PM »
I just now thought of a couple more shows that could fit into this category. One was Masquerade Party; in which a panel of four celebs tried to detect which celeb guest was in disguise (The Richard Dawson-hosted version from 1974-75 did have one final segment where two civilians from the audience tried to guess along with the panel, though.) Another was Personality; which had three celebs trying to answer questions through film clips, all the while playing for home viewers.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Mary Ann Ellis of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 05:17:53 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)