Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Importance of Music to Actual Show  (Read 4682 times)

J.R.

Importance of Music to Actual Show
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
For me, the best network sitcom theme to come around in recent past is the "30 ROCK" theme...not only is it fun, bouncy and catchy, it has never been chopped down for commercials sake...I could even see it being used somehow in something game show-related...
Anyone remember when they mocked the DoND-style game shows? I think it was called "Gold Case". It was excellent.
-Joe Raygor

40onTheBlue

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »
What is now the J! main theme was once just the "think" music.  The original theme has been forgotten for the most part.
What a shame that so much history is lost and forgotten.

Apart from this scratchy and hissy clip on You Tube, I'd love to know if a decent recording of Julann Griffin's "Take Ten" exists in its entirety somewhere. A clean copy of the guitar and bongos music that Don Pardo introduced the contestants with would also be a treasured find.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:54:33 PM by 40onTheBlue »
Greetings from Canada.

Argo

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
What is now the J! main theme was once just the "think" music.  The original theme has been forgotten for the most part.
What a shame that so much history is lost and forgotten.

Apart from this scratchy and hissy clip on You Tube, I'd love to know if a decent recording of Julann Griffin's "Take Ten" exists in its entirety somewhere. A clean copy of the guitar and bongos music that Don Pardo introduced the contestants with would also be a treasured find.

Well i remember the remake they made for the game show themes category and it sounded like a bad midi, but you never know.

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »
A clean copy of the guitar and bongos music that Don Pardo introduced the contestants with would also be a treasured find.
40 on blue,

Is this what you're looking for?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6DE2B5FEDEE6C26A!167&authkey=!ACqQhpBbvcV-W3g
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:22:42 AM by ActualRetailMike »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:16 AM »
It was loaded with distortion and topped out at 5 kHz in 1964. It is loaded with distortion and tops out at 5 kHz in 2012.

40onTheBlue

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
A clean copy of the guitar and bongos music that Don Pardo introduced the contestants with would also be a treasured find.
40 on blue,

Is this what you're looking for?

https://skydrive.liv...ACqQhpBbvcV-W3g

OMG YES!!! Thank you so much! Please let me know how I can return the favour. :)

The clip is obviously from an existing episode. I'd be curious to know how it could've gone to air without Don Pardo's contestant intro over the music. Still, this has absolutely made my day. Thank you again. :)
Greetings from Canada.

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
Apart from this scratchy and hissy clip on You Tube, I'd love to know if a decent recording of Julann Griffin's "Take Ten" exists in its entirety somewhere.
Is that an abbreviated version of "Take Ten"?  The version on that surviving J! episode is slightly different.  You know how at the end you hear that 5-note, downward diatonic scale (or "DA da-da da da") 3 times before the single-note cold finish?  On that 1974 episode, you hear it 4 times.  The fourth iteration is like an octave deeper and considerably slower (Dum da-daa daaa daaaaaa),

That intro music I posted (BTW, happy to hear you liked it 4oTB) must come from a later episode, since Don Pardo opened with "...will compete today on..."  instead of the earlier "...will compete for cash prizes..."

40onTheBlue

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
Apart from this scratchy and hissy clip on You Tube, I'd love to know if a decent recording of Julann Griffin's "Take Ten" exists in its entirety somewhere.
Is that an abbreviated version of "Take Ten"?  The version on that surviving J! episode is slightly different.  You know how at the end you hear that 5-note, downward diatonic scale (or "DA da-da da da") 3 times before the single-note cold finish?  On that 1974 episode, you hear it 4 times.  The fourth iteration is like an octave deeper and considerably slower (Dum da-daa daaa daaaaaa),

That intro music I posted (BTW, happy to hear you liked it 4oTB) must come from a later episode, since Don Pardo opened with "...will compete today on..."  instead of the earlier "...will compete for cash prizes..."
I've absolutely no idea if it's an edit or not, I'm sorry to say. I'll wildly guess that perhaps two (or more) takes of the piece were recorded and would be variously put in at post-production depending on how long an episode's outro lasted. A remix or studio edit, maybe?

And yes, I'm also thinking the snippet you uploaded is most likely from the latter half of the run. I'd be interested in knowing at what point the opening script was changed.
Greetings from Canada.