Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Importance of Music to Actual Show  (Read 4684 times)

Argo

Importance of Music to Actual Show
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:56:33 PM »
After seeing the post about the Scrabble theme, I thought I'd generalize it a bit and see what people think about game show music in general.

Do you think a 'catchy' theme adds to the popularity of a game show? Also, how identifiable is a show with its theme? One thing I have a problem with is a show starting off with a theme, viewers (and even non viewers) identify with the music. Then the show changes it to the point where the theme cannot be identified with the show anymore. Some shows like WoF have changed their music to the point where everyone identifies it with the "Changing Keys" theme but if someone played the new theme now, a lot of people probably wouldn't know what it was.  I can understand remixing music and updating it but to change one of the major identifying factors of a program just for something to do, I wouldn't think would be a good move. Do people really care anymore about that or or have they ever cared?. I can understand changes for licensing and things like that (Big Wheels to Changing Keys), but that would be pretty rare I would think.

M

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:45:37 AM »
Let's put it this way - the original Price is Right ran for years with the same theme music that was later used for Snap Judgment which ran ... for a few months.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »
Backdrop is always important to a game show. Music is simply apart of the appearance. For the most part, it's mostly subtle. It doesn't make or break a show, but it is nice to have a good soundtrack as an extra plus. The current state of music is rather bland. I hear fake guitar here, overblown bass there. It sounds like they took a bunch of ants, dipped them in ink and sat them on a blank staff. For the most part however, no one really cares. If you've got a great theme/music and you play it constantly, then people will remember it. I recently played Big Banana, Bean Stalker, and The Cats at an event for fun and was surprised when more than a few people recognized it as being from Price. Shocked the heck out of me since those cues haven't been played on the show in two or three years.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Argo

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:06:09 AM »
Backdrop is always important to a game show. Music is simply apart of the appearance. For the most part, it's mostly subtle. It doesn't make or break a show, but it is nice to have a good soundtrack as an extra plus. The current state of music is rather bland. I hear fake guitar here, overblown bass there. It sounds like they took a bunch of ants, dipped them in ink and sat them on a blank staff. For the most part however, no one really cares. If you've got a great theme/music and you play it constantly, then people will remember it. I recently played Big Banana, Bean Stalker, and The Cats at an event for fun and was surprised when more than a few people recognized it as being from Price. Shocked the heck out of me since those cues haven't been played on the show in two or three years.

Exactly. like I said. If you played the new WoF theme, i doubt anyone would know what you were playing. Play the Changing Keys, and everyone and their dog would know what you were doing. I cean understand different series of shows, such as Cullen TPIR, and Barker TPIR. Another interesting point, Jeopardy and WoF are produced by the same company. I find it odd that one show decided they had to change the theme to be more modern while the other show just changed the arrangement. But i guess for the type of show Jeopardy is you cant really give it the excitement of TPIR so why bother trying with a new super cool jazzed up theme.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
It sounds like they took a bunch of ants, dipped them in ink and sat them on a blank staff.
I love this analogy. The next time I go on a rant about the state of music and theme songs, I must use this.

I don't think music makes or breaks a show, but in many cases it compliments it very well. For example the original Feud theme fit the Hatfield/McCoys motif very well in the 70s and 80s. Using it for the Harvey version doesn't work as well IMO...every season I hold my breath to hear the revamp from Dawson's '94 season. And every year I'm a bit bummed that they won't use it. Oh well, better than the techno music from Louie and Richard Karn's versions. Those nuances are largely missing nowadays and have become generic, random noise...honestly, I think it reflects what music in general has become. About 10 years ago, when a lot of themes were becoming techno, someone brought up how theme songs reflect what's "in" on the radio. In the 70s it was disco, in the 2000s, it was techno, now it's the cookie-cutter pop.

Unfortunately, theme songs in general have become an afterthought in the last 20 years. Sitcoms have done it for about that long, opting to run the names over the opening scene, but now dramas have started doing it. A trend that I prolly hate more than squeezed credits. Sorry, I get that commercials take away a lot of content, but 7 seconds of "ants on a blank staff" does not a theme song make. Not all of us have short attention spans and need to reach for the remote every break we get.

Anyway, unlike other themes, it's rare that a game show theme becomes iconic or even identifiable with the show. Jeopardy is arguably the most famous example, with TPiR a close second. But other than that, I don't think there's too many themes you could play for someone and they immediately connect it with the show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Thunder

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
Main themes don't mean much to me, but I feel that specific music cues can really add to a show.

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
Unfortunately, theme songs in general have become an afterthought in the last 20 years. Sitcoms have done it for about that long, opting to run the names over the opening scene, but now dramas have started doing it. A trend that I prolly hate more than squeezed credits. Sorry, I get that commercials take away a lot of content, but 7 seconds of "ants on a blank staff" does not a theme song make. Not all of us have short attention spans and need to reach for the remote every break we get.

This.  The only network theme that's remotely catchy and enjoyable to me is the "Raising Hope" theme, which does get a lot out of 30 seconds or so (but even so, they rarely used the full version after the first couple of season one episodes).  Seems the other good themes of the 2000s+ all come from animated series (Justice League Unlimited and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, I am looking at you...)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
Exactly. like I said. If you played the new WoF theme, i doubt anyone would know what you were playing. Play the Changing Keys, and everyone and their dog would know what you were doing.

Disagree.  Recognizing a piece of music is just a function of it being heard many times.  The new theme doesn't say "Wheel" any more than "Changing Keys" did--or the original NBC/Thicke theme.  "Keys" is just the one that was used the longest.
czambo@mac.com

dale_grass

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
Recognizing a piece of music is just a function of it being heard many times.

Disagree.  There's also the catchiness variable.  Genrally speaking, some melodies stick and other don't, no matter how many times you hear them.  That's assuming you can pick out a melody in the first place.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:21:42 PM »
In 1980 bandleader Bert Kaempfert passed away. I mentioned this in the presence of the producer and associate producer of Match Game. Ira recognized him as the bandleader behind Match Game's 1960s theme. However, neither one could hum the show's 1970s theme, a distinctive tune in itself.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
However, neither one could hum the show's 1970s theme, a distinctive tune in itself.
Beg pardon? You mean the one they heard eleventy times every day at work? How did they not pick that up in seven years' time?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:26:24 PM by Kevin Prather »

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
However, neither one could hum the show's 1970s theme, a distinctive tune in itself.
Beg pardon? You mean the one they heard eleventy times every day at work? How did they not pick that up in seven years' time?
I'd have to imagine that they just tuned it out after three years.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
WWTBAM - I think not so much for the theme, but more so for the "Let's Play", lifelines, and  "Final Answer" cues.
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »

Exactly. like I said. If you played the new WoF theme, i doubt anyone would know what you were playing. Play the Changing Keys, and everyone and their dog would know what you were doing. I cean understand different series of shows, such as Cullen TPIR, and Barker TPIR. Another interesting point, Jeopardy and WoF are produced by the same company. I find it odd that one show decided they had to change the theme to be more modern while the other show just changed the arrangement. But i guess for the type of show Jeopardy is you cant really give it the excitement of TPIR so why bother trying with a new super cool jazzed up theme.
What is now the J! main theme was once just the "think" music.  The original theme has been forgotten for the most part.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JakeT

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
This.  The only network theme that's remotely catchy and enjoyable to me is the "Raising Hope" theme, which does get a lot out of 30 seconds or so (but even so, they rarely used the full version after the first couple of season one episodes).  Seems the other good themes of the 2000s+ all come from animated series (Justice League Unlimited and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, I am looking at you...)

For me, the best network sitcom theme to come around in recent past is the "30 ROCK" theme...not only is it fun, bouncy and catchy, it has never been chopped down for commercials sake...I could even see it being used somehow in something game show-related...

JakeT