Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo strategy  (Read 7018 times)

ezbidder

Lingo strategy
« on: December 17, 2003, 05:08:17 PM »
Can you guess a word that doesn't start with the same letter as the letter originally given?    example, it starts S _ _ _ _ and you guess WATER.  

Has anybody ever done it in the history of Lingo?  If this is allowed, then a team should always guess a word, any word, to avoid the team getting control.

Another strategy is to guess two words right off that bat that have a lot of common letters and vowel, say, AUDIO and STONE

Are there some other words that would be good to start off with right away.

eZb

Matt Ottinger

Lingo strategy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 05:17:14 PM »
[quote name=\'ezbidder\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 06:08 PM\'] Can you guess a word that doesn't start with the same letter as the letter originally given?    

Has anybody ever done it in the history of Lingo? [/quote]
 The general consensus around here is that it's probably legal to do so, though I don't know personally if anyone's ever tried it.  

On one of our last really good threads back at Usenet, we decided that NAILS and ROUTE ought to be your first two guesses every time.  That covers the ten most commonly used letters without duplication, and that'll usually go a long way in telling you what letters are in your word.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ezbidder

Lingo strategy
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 05:23:19 PM »
thanks for the nails/route thing - i found the old thread on google

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20020...40mb-fs.aol.com

interesting read!

eZb

sshuffield70

Lingo strategy
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 09:29:32 AM »
I seem to recall (the mind is REALLY fuzzy this morning) that someone did this and lost control.

Justin30519

Lingo strategy
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 07:55:36 PM »
I always thought it was stupid for a team to lose their turn on Lingo because they run out of time. If you don't know it, say TEACH or WATER or something. Only one exception. If you are on your last guess, you shouldn't say anything unless you know the word. If you don't know it and spell a word that can't possibly be the answer, you may be giving an extra letter to the other team.
Justin

BrandonFG

Lingo strategy
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 01:45:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:55 PM\'] I always thought it was stupid for a team to lose their turn on Lingo because they run out of time. If you don't know it, say TEACH or WATER or something. Only one exception. If you are on your last guess, you shouldn't say anything unless you know the word. If you don't know it and spell a word that can't possibly be the answer, you may be giving an extra letter to the other team.
Justin [/quote]
 If it's the last word, doesn't the other team get a free letter regardless?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

joshg

Lingo strategy
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 02:00:04 AM »
I seem to remember the contestant coordinators telling my partner and I that you have to spell a word that starts with the given letter otherwise you'd lose your turn.

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

zachhoran

Lingo strategy
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 08:04:02 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 01:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:55 PM\'] I always thought it was stupid for a team to lose their turn on Lingo because they run out of time. If you don't know it, say TEACH or WATER or something. Only one exception. If you are on your last guess, you shouldn't say anything unless you know the word. If you don't know it and spell a word that can't possibly be the answer, you may be giving an extra letter to the other team.
Justin [/quote]
If it's the last word, doesn't the other team get a free letter regardless? [/quote]
 Yes they always get a free letter when the turn passes, but the strategy Justin suggested is not to say a word that couldn't possibly be the word due to the risk of the other team getting extra help besides the free letter.

ezbidder

Lingo strategy
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 10:46:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:55 PM\'] I always thought it was stupid for a team to lose their turn on Lingo because they run out of time. If you don't know it, say TEACH or WATER or something.
Justin [/quote]
whether this is allowed or not is the question we still haven't definitively answered, since it appears nobody's tried it yet in the show, but I think we are getting closer to the answer if we are to believe the contestant coordinators directions to Josh.

eZB
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 10:46:56 AM by ezbidder »

gameshowguy2000

Lingo strategy
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 05:39:57 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 07:04 AM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 01:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:55 PM\'] I always thought it was stupid for a team to lose their turn on Lingo because they run out of time. If you don't know it, say TEACH or WATER or something. Only one exception. If you are on your last guess, you shouldn't say anything unless you know the word. If you don't know it and spell a word that can't possibly be the answer, you may be giving an extra letter to the other team.
Justin [/quote]
If it's the last word, doesn't the other team get a free letter regardless? [/quote]
Yes they always get a free letter when the turn passes, but the strategy Justin suggested is not to say a word that couldn't possibly be the word due to the risk of the other team getting extra help besides the free letter. [/quote]
 BTW, when they keep alternating, the opponents get a free letter, until there's only ONE Blank Space left.

When that happens, they don't get a free letter, because then that would be too easy now and the word would be revealed, right?

Jay Temple

Lingo strategy
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 12:32:54 PM »
True.  However, if the last guess was "RAISE," with the result that RAI were correct and the S was correct but in the wrong place, then giving N as the bonus letter to reveal "RAIN_" is almost as easy.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.