Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Straddled ends  (Read 4462 times)

gsnstooge

Straddled ends
« on: December 17, 2003, 05:25:32 PM »
What happened on the last episode of a straddled game show?  For example, on the last episode of Jim's Card Sharks, $5,000 was awarded to the last winner without playing the money cards due to short time.

ChuckNet

Straddled ends
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 10:32:03 PM »
What happened on the last episode of a straddled game show? For example, on the last episode of Jim's Card Sharks, $5,000 was awarded to the last winner without playing the money cards due to short time.

On the last CBS TJW, time ran out in mid-game, so Jack annouced the contestants would get to keep the money they'd earned at that point (final score was $100-$450, IIRC). Same thing happened on the Trebek DD finale.

On the last BtB '76, they stopped asking questions, and just had the contestants call out numbers to finish the last game.

On both Battlestars finales as well as MG 7X's, they made absolutely no finale concessions...the game was simply stopped in mid-play w/no further explanation, as if they expected to pick it back up on Mon.

On the CBS daytime Password finale, since they didn't have time to play 2 games w/new contestants, they simply had the 2 contestants from the last pair of games team up for a "stars vs. civillians" match.

On the Password '75 finale, they had extra time, so 4 staff members played the game. A similar technique was used on the Shoot for the Stars finale 2 yrs later...since no one had ever, in the series' brief run, won a bonus round that required 9 phrases to be solved, Geoff and celeb Bill Cullen gave it a shot (for the record, they almost made it, but time ran out).

Any others I've missed?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TheInquisitiveOne

Straddled ends
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 10:41:02 PM »
Any others I've missed?

Allow me to help. On the final Super Passowrd, the maingame was played until a whistle blew. When the whistle was blown, play immediately stopped and the player with the higher money total played the "Super Password" round, which was $10,000 at that time.

If anyone knows how Tic Tac Dough ended, I sure would like to know. Thanks in advance.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

zachhoran

Straddled ends
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 10:45:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:32 PM\']

On both Battlestars finales as well as MG 7X's, they made absolutely no finale concessions...the game was simply stopped in mid-play w/no further explanation, as if they expected to pick it back up on Mon.

[/quote]
 The second run of Battlestars did have hints that the last show really was the finale, as Alex said that the New Battlestars soon will be the Old Battlestars at some point during the show.

The NBC Marshall HS finale had the two contestants pick a celeb and both won a bonus prize.

All-Star Blitz's finale started a match, and the winner of the one game of it that they had time to play won the piano which was traded away in the last bonus round for a extra spin of the Wheel. Outside from that, there was really no mention that it was the finale.

gameshowguy2000

Straddled ends
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 10:49:54 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 04:25 PM\'] What happened on the last episode of a straddled game show?  For example, on the last episode of Jim's Card Sharks, $5,000 was awarded to the last winner without playing the money cards due to short time. [/quote]
 And he said every single question was Sudden Death.

If every single question was Sudden Death, how could they play the remaining questions/cards?

JMFabiano

Straddled ends
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 10:58:18 PM »
To respond to the above posts, Blockbusters (Cullen version) did a similar finale, as they played the last game for $5,000.  And what was described for the SP finale was also done on Password Plus.  Instead of trying to get to an Alphabetics, they just played the main game till the end, and whoever was in the lead got $5,000.  I might add that the one Alphabetics played on the PW+ finale came at the very beginning of the show ($12,000 of a $20,000 jackpot was won, BTW, because Tom Poston pantomimed using a "kite," and described "mammal" as "not fish"), so that was probably a lot of play time in the case of PW+.  

IIRC, the last TTD ended with a win in the main game, not sure if they did or didn't get to play the bonus game (I was about to say no, but somehow I do remember them getting to do so)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jay Temple

Straddled ends
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 01:18:54 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 09:32 PM\'] On MG 7X's, they made absolutely no finale concessions...the game was simply stopped in mid-play w/no further explanation, as if they expected to pick it back up on Mon. [/quote]
 Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this instance it's because they did continue it.  They had two weeks or so of shows that never aired.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Straddled ends
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 01:26:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 12:18 PM\'] Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this instance it's because they did continue it.  They had two weeks or so of shows that never aired. [/quote]
 Wasn't it more like four weeks?

Be that as it may, even the last of the unaired episodes didn't have a final resolution (the only hint of a final episode was Marcia Wallace's, "Is this the last one?" at the beginning of the episode which could also have been inferred as the final show of that day's taping).  The game ended in mid-stream, and there was no other farewell celebration.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Straddled ends
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 02:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 05:25 PM\'] What happened on the last episode of a straddled game show?  For example, on the last episode of Jim's Card Sharks, $5,000 was awarded to the last winner without playing the money cards due to short time. [/quote]
Why must you guys continue to feed this guys quest for knowledge?  He never has said "thank you", and his requests always seem to be open-ended.

(end rant)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 01:25:06 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gsnstooge

Straddled ends
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 02:16:36 PM »
Thanks for all the info I have gotten!

Ian Wallis

Straddled ends
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 03:14:19 PM »
On the last BtB '76, they stopped asking questions, and just had the contestants call out numbers to finish the last game.

Too bad that episode hasn't been seen since 1976.  It will likely never see the light of day because GSN is unlikely to ever air it.  

I remember that episode - Tom Kennedy's last words were "we'll see you soon" (maybe he was referring to the upcoming syndie version)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

Straddled ends
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 03:42:31 PM »
I remember that episode - Tom Kennedy's last words were "we'll see you soon" (maybe he was referring to the upcoming syndie version)

Just before Tom had the players simply pick numbers to determine who
would break the last $5000 bank, he said, "This is our last show on ABC
Television", so the subtle implication was there that the show would be
back somewhere--and two months later, there were Jack Barry and his
shades being checkerboarded once a week on syndicated line-ups all
across the land.

The NBC Marshall HS finale had the two contestants pick a celeb and both won a bonus prize.

The first who chose picked Wayland & Madame and won an ice cream freezer. The second who selected went for George Gobel and after George said, "I may never get to do this again", Peter Marshall said, "Oh, sure you will, in the fall when we're doing
our shows from Vegas at the Riviera", which prompted George to say, "I'm not
sure I'm even going". And then Mr. Gobel announced that the player had just
won $5000.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:42:55 PM by Don Howard »

ChuckNet

Straddled ends
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 04:23:01 PM »
And what was described for the SP finale was also done on Password Plus. Instead of trying to get to an Alphabetics, they just played the main game till the end, and whoever was in the lead got $5,000.

No, he meant that on SP, they only played a single $100 puzzle for the final game before the whistle sounded, and the winner of that went on to play the Super Password round.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

HYHYBT

Straddled ends
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 06:01:22 AM »
Why must you guys continue to feed this guys information knowledge? He never has said "thank you", and his requests always seem to be open-ended.

These (very) open-ended questions have led so far only to very interesting threads.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Adam Nedeff

Straddled ends
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 12:28:50 PM »
Why must you guys continue to feed this guys information knowledge?

Name another type of knowledge.