Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "That's Too Much" rules question  (Read 2768 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"That's Too Much" rules question
« on: December 19, 2003, 01:37:32 PM »
While watching the prime-time TPiR last night, I saw "That's Too Much" played.  I've only seen it a couple of times and I'm a bit hazy on the rules, so if someone could help me I'd appreciate it.  Is the point of the game to pick the closest overprice of the car?  Example:

$23,456      $25,774      $27,650

ARP:  $24,460

Obviously $23,456 is not a winner because the price is too low.  But would $27,650 be a winner, since that price of the car is, well, too much, or does it not win because there was a closer price available?

Thanks!  :)

Doug
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 01:39:41 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 01:40:21 PM »
Obviously $23,456 is not a winner because the price is too low. But would $27,650 be a winner, since that price of the car is, well, too much, or does it not win because there was a closer price available?

Thanks! :)

Doug

Though $27,650 is too much, that would not be a winner. The rule is that you must find the FIRST price that is over the actual retail price.

So, as you said, the closest price availible is the price that wins the day.

The Inquisitive One

(Still doesn't make the game any easier, IMHO.)
This is the Way.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 01:40:56 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 01:37 PM\']While watching the prime-time TPiR last night, I saw "That's Too Much" played.  I've only seen it a couple of times and I'm a bit hazy on the rules, so if someone could help me I'd appreciate it.  Is the point of the game to pick the closest overprice of the car?  Example:

$23,456      $25,774      $27,650

ARV:  $24,460

Obviously $23,456 is not a winner because the price is too low.  But would $27,650 be a winner, since that price of the car is, well, too much, or does it not win because there was a closer price available?

Thanks!  :)[/quote]
It would seem to me that it would have to the first price above the ARP, because if they gave it to any price over the ARP, we'd have every contestant running out the board and winning the car every time--unless the last price was also below the ARP, in which case you'd see an audience attacking an 80-year-old man--and do you want to see that on television?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 01:47:29 PM »
I kinda thought so, Mark and TIO, but I wasn't completely sure.  Thanks to both of you for the clarification.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

starcade

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 01:29:21 PM »
Yes, they need to pick the first one which is too much.

JayC

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 09:31:58 PM »
Do you think TTM would be easier if it was...That's Too Little?  Instead of naming the first overpriced price, contestants must spot out the first price that is lower then the ARP.  I think it might actually help make it easier.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 10:46:20 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 09:31 PM\'] Do you think TTM would be easier if it was...That's Too Little?  Instead of naming the first overpriced price, contestants must spot out the first price that is lower then the ARP.  I think it might actually help make it easier. [/quote]
 Who said they wanted to make it easy?

Brandon Brooks

GS Warehouse

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:53:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 10:46 PM\'] Who said they wanted to make it easy? [/quote]
 Would you rather see this?:

Bob: How many wheels does that car have?
Contestant: Four?
Bob: Correct!  You win the car!

Ah, the budget people would be really happy.  Car games are not supposed to be easy.  That's why they're played for cars!

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 12:19:40 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 11:53 PM\'] Would you rather see this?: [/quote]
 No, as I believe you replied to the wrong person.

Brandon Brooks

JayC

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 06:36:57 PM »
I never said I wanted TTM to be easier, I was just simply asking if you thought it would be easier if It was That's Too Little instead.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 07:15:13 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 04:36 PM\'] I never said I wanted TTM to be easier, I was just simply asking if you thought it would be easier if It was That's Too Little instead. [/quote]
 Let me give you a chance to save yourself:

Are you suggest the game be set up just as it is, but you are to say "That's Too Little" (which, BTW, doesn't EVEN have the same ring to it as a properly belted "THAT'S TOO MUCH!!!!") the first time you see a price that is lower than the ARP? That's not just easier, that's moronic, and I won't even bother explaining why. I'm giving you the benefit and assuming this isn't what you have in mind, because you seem like a reasonable person. :)

If you're saying the game be stopped on the price BEFORE it gets to be Too Much (by shouting, what, "That's Almost High Enough?"), then I see no difference.

If you are suggesting that the game be set up BACKWARDS, so that the prices start out high and gradually go lower, then I still see no difference between that and TTM, aside from the loss of the aforementioned hook to the game.

Both of the latter two scenarios still require having an idea as to what the ARP of the car is, so you know when to stop.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 07:23:53 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 06:36 PM\'] I never said I wanted TTM to be easier, I was just simply asking if you thought it would be easier if It was That's Too Little instead. [/quote]
 As Chez Fred stated, obviously this wouldn't work.  Here's a quick example:

ARP - 21249

1 - 18156
2 - 19204
3 - 20527
4 - 21240 (TTL)
5 - 21245

You would have no idea knowing whether or not a closer price is coming up.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 07:39:46 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 05:23 PM\'] As Chez Fred stated, obviously this wouldn't work.  Here's a quick example:

ARP - 21249

1 - 18156
2 - 19204
3 - 20527
4 - 21240 (TTL)
5 - 21245

You would have no idea knowing whether or not a closer price is coming up. [/quote]
 Heh, I wasn't even being THAT generous, but that's a good point too. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe