Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: groceries for a year on TPIR  (Read 2634 times)

toetyper

groceries for a year on TPIR
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
what exactly do  you get; debit Card/ gift certificate. or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07G23zMGa4g

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
Probably a gift card.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

geno57

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
I spend nearly 300 a week at Whole Foods.  I wonder if that much would be covered?

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:17:55 AM »
If Wheel of Fortune can offer "$1K gift tags", then why not TPIR offer whatever stuff for a year.  Just as long as it's something that I can use.  Groceries for a year is tempting to say the least, but how much food are you going to save during that time anyways?  If I want something that'll last for a year, just give me a gift card with whatever cash value attatched to it, I'll use it for whatever I need.  The problem is, most of the time, they don't actually tell you what the cost of that particular prize costs.  Based on food prices these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the groceries add up to at least $2K or more for the year.

Jumpondees

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
If I am interpreting past instances of where this prize is offered, the contestant gets cash.  

Basically, someone or some company has done a study of how much money it would take to feed an average person three squares a day for a specified period of time. In the prize copy, I believe George says something to the effect of "the value of the prize is based upon a national average."

Flerbert419

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
I spend nearly 300 a week at Whole Foods.  I wonder if that much would be covered?

For yourself? Usually the prize is for one person.

The show assumes $61 per person per week, so the total value for a year is $3172.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »
The show assumes $61 per person per week, so the total value for a year is $3172.

I'm probably going to regret asking this: How do you know this is the number the show works from?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:19:39 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Flerbert419

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »
It's been featured in prize packages with other items whose prices are known.

Simple subtraction and division yielded that number as the final result, and I thought it would be interesting to share since the topic was brought up.

I'm not quite sure why you would regret asking a question, since I'm happy to answer it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
I'm not quite sure why you would regret asking a question, since I'm happy to answer it.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting you to see why. But thanks for the answer, which confirms my suspicion.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
I watch the show daily, but I don't keep a journal of what things cost. He's saying that if you see a prize package of a Boondoggle 6100 side-by-side refrigerator/freezer plus the Groceries, and if you're doing Z - Y = groceries, that perhaps you're too invested in the show.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
I watch the show daily, but I don't keep a journal of what things cost. He's saying that if you see a prize package of a Boondoggle 6100 side-by-side refrigerator/freezer plus the Groceries, and if you're doing Z - Y = groceries, that perhaps you're too invested in the show.
Flerbert probably doesn't keep a journal either, but there are multiple sites that have recaps of every show of the last 5 years (or more). If you're curious to see how much it costs, a simple search of the base prize easily reveals the price of the groceries without putting more investment than it took to type this post.

ETA: Plus, if you've got a good memory, the math helps you win Safe Crackers if you ever get a chance to play it on the real show. :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:12:59 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.