Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The next big acquisition for GSN?  (Read 11298 times)

jage

The next big acquisition for GSN?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »
If SOTC, Scrabble, or Classic Concentration ever made an appearance, I'd watch daily. I'm also not holding my breath. I'm guessing they're asking way too much for the rights to any of these.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 12:59:58 AM »
If SOTC, Scrabble, or Classic Concentration ever made an appearance, I'd watch daily. I'm also not holding my breath. I'm guessing they're asking way too much for the rights to any of these.
You assume GSN is interested in any of those shows.  When is the last time GSN got the rights to air a show at least 20 years old which wasn't previously on the network (eliminating the current crop of 1983 PYL reruns)?  Win, Lose or Draw?  The $1.98 Beauty Show?  I don't see GSN clamoring to get any more classic shows when they relegate such shows to the morning.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 01:04:02 AM »
Plus, I think they now have shown almost all of the most popular game shows of the 70s and 80s that were available to them, even if they didn't show all the episodes. Game show reruns weren't a big deal, until the 70s ended, and the 80s began.

That's why many of them prior to 1980 no longer exist.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:30:22 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 02:30:20 AM »
Win, Lose or Draw

After rolling it around in my head for a few minutes, pretty sure this is the last outright-new pre-1990 acquisition. They've gone and leased for the first time other runs/seasons of shows previously aired (the current PYL and $25K runs, the old early-run eps of Love Connection, 80s LMaD), and the shows from the Goodson library have cycled in and out over the years, but I'm relatively sure this is the last non-modern new acquisition.  And it was ten and a half years ago.

Oh, and at the time, Draw only would have been 12-15 years old. Which is rather close to the same age that Regis' WWTBAM, Greed, etc. would be now.  For a little perspective.

aaron sica

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 07:02:19 AM »
Something of note here: When GSN debuted in 1994, the game shows that were 10-20 years old were made in the '70s and '80s that some of us (yours truly) grew up with and loved, and may consider "classics". It's now 2012 - the game shows that are 10-20 years old were made in the '90s and 2000's. The distance between some favorites going off that GSN reran at launch was 4-6 years (Super Password, and MG '90 for example). 4-6 years ago now? 2006-2008.

So it's not really GSN moving away from the "classics" more and more....It's time moving away.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:03:13 AM by aaron sica »

JMFabiano

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Something of note here: When GSN debuted in 1994, the game shows that were 10-20 years old were made in the '70s and '80s that some of us (yours truly) grew up with and loved, and may consider "classics". It's now 2012 - the game shows that are 10-20 years old were made in the '90s and 2000's. The distance between some favorites going off that GSN reran at launch was 4-6 years (Super Password, and MG '90 for example). 4-6 years ago now? 2006-2008.

So it's not really GSN moving away from the "classics" more and more....It's time moving away.

Indeed, it's like the trend with the oldies, er, "greatest hits" stations now to include the '80s and start pretty much with 1964.  Heck, some '80s songs are as old now as the '50s songs were when, say, WCBS-FM started.

The thing is, as the '90s came, music and in fact TV started to, shall we say, experience a dip in artistic quality.  Which is probably why people dread this movement forward.  And it is a bit scary to someday think of boy bands and pop princesses of the late '90s and '00s as "classic hits."
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

dale_grass

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
The thing is, as the '90s came, music and in fact TV started to, shall we say, experience a dip in artistic quality.  Which is probably why people dread this movement forward.  And it is a bit scary to someday think of boy bands and pop princesses of the late '90s and '00s as "classic hits."

Subtract 20 from each of those years and you'll sound exactly like your parents.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
Subtract 20 from each of those years and you'll sound exactly like your parents.

Thank you.

God, I tire so much of the desperate-hanging-on-to-the-past around here sometimes. (And by that I mean outside of the forum's subject matter.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jage

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
All reminds me of when I started to hear songs I remembered from my early childhood on classic rock stations and later on former oldies stations. Definitely a reminder of time passing by. If there were a lot of memorable to the masses 90s game shows, GSN may be on them now, but there weren't. And it's not like WBSM and others did that well for them. Perhaps the best we can hope for is for some future Internet streaming service that is interested in nitch programming for streaming. The current environment doesn't lend well to many of these shows coming back and I'm not one of those people that's gonna cry when GSN doesn't, because it largely doesn't make sense for them. There's a growing amount of digital subchannels dedicated to retro TV shows. Again, not likely, but I wouldn't 100% rule it out.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »
Still with GSN, anything pre-1990 should be counted as "Classic" at least for the rest of this decade.
Certain members of the GSN Classics board aren't the end-all for determining what is classic and what is not.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »
Perhaps the best we can hope for is for some future Internet streaming service that is interested in nitch programming for streaming.
Would you pay Netflix prices for a Streaming game show service? Would you pay a penny per minute for a la carte?
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

JMFabiano

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »

Yeah, well, how much stuff from the late '90s and up compares to what was being released in the '70s (the decade we'd be describing if I did subtract 20 years)?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »
Yeah, well, how much stuff from the late '90s and up compares to what was being released in the '70s (the decade we'd be describing if I did subtract 20 years)?

Yeah, well, you're totally missing his point. Ask someone twenty years younger than you that same question.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
Back in 75, I remember watching Best of Groucho and thinking that it was incredible that stations would show something that old, yet it was only 15-20 years old at the time. (Loved the show, just thought it was strange that a game show that old would be on the rerun circuit.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
I think one of the most unexpected acquisitions of older programming, over the past few years, was when ESPN Classic picked up Celebrity Bowling, which is almost 40 years old.