Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The next big acquisition for GSN?  (Read 10004 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The next big acquisition for GSN?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
I hated it when GSN treated the 1998-04 version of Hollywood Squares as a classic. Plus there was so much tape damage in those episodes, and a lot of skipped episodes.
Proof or Not Real.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
I hated it when GSN treated the 1998-04 version of Hollywood Squares as a classic. Plus there was so much tape damage in those episodes, and a lot of skipped episodes.
Huh? They aired the Bergeron version quite frequently, so I don't get where you a) think they treated it as a classic or b) got the tape damage idea from. IIRC, they did, however, label the Marshall episodes as "Classic" in promos.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »
There...was? I had no idea tape damage would be a problem at the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century. I am seriously curious as to how that would come about.

I find Supermarket Sweep to be classic, should it not fall into the classification? Being classic should not just be about how old something is (I myself find that The Birth of a Nation to be an absolute classic that TCM should be running for an entire day at least once a year!), it should be about its impact upon the genre and its quality.

Yeah, well, how much stuff from the late '90s and up compares to what was being released in the '70s (the decade we'd be describing if I did subtract 20 years)?
There might be a person who is 90, who hates when AMC runs The Godfather all day and who would rather see Gone with the Wind, Meet Me in St. Louis, and Singing in the Rain run instead. Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters should've shared airtime with the stations that played Led Zepplin, Three Dog Night, and Stevie Wonder. The point is that it is all subjective (and could've been thirty years ago) and it's a trap I fall into myself.

Perhaps the best we can hope for is for some future Internet streaming service that is interested in nitch programming for streaming.
Would you pay Netflix prices for a Streaming game show service? Would you pay a penny per minute for a la carte?
Well, Netflix did pickup You Bet Your Life recently. I don't know the interest, but picking up some of the public domain episodes of the old '50s game shows certainly would be interesting. And considering that Hulu has Celebrity Bowling and Hollywood Squares, I suppose some of the juggernauts of streaming picking up more game shows wouldn't be totally out of the question.

And when it comes to GSN, I'm all for diversity and mixing things up. It'd be fun to watch an episode of Steve Harvey's Feud and then get an episode of 70s Pyramid after it. Then go to an episode of Lingo and follow that with Super Password, and then head into a Deal or No Deal/Minute to Win It/Millionaire block. I don't think it would be a crime to really mix stuff in, but then again it isn't about what I would think, it would be about what the other 999,999 potential viewers think. Unfortunately, that possibility won't be known.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:36:34 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

jage

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
Perhaps the best we can hope for is for some future Internet streaming service that is interested in nitch programming for streaming.
Would you pay Netflix prices for a Streaming game show service? Would you pay a penny per minute for a la carte?
Me? Sure. Enough people to make it a profitable venture? Doubt it unless other nitch genres were also a part of the venture.