Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game  (Read 6321 times)

LetsGoYankees

Match Game
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
Match Game- Most of the time, it tends to be one of the highest rated classics before 10am. Before the Card Sharks/Press Your Luck hour, Match Game was always the highest rated show of the first two daytime hours (and still gets above 200K once or twice a week now)

I can't say a new lease of Match Game will fix all of GSN's current pre-2pm schedule problems, but it will fix many.

If GSN decided to lease more Match Game, what pre-1990 season? what timeslot? why is a new lease a good idea?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:18:40 PM by LetsGoYankees »
gameshownetworknews.blogspot.com
gameshownetworknews@gmail.com

J.R.

Match Game
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
Your post: Wow

Your sig: Wow
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Match Game
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
I cannot begin to tell you how much we need a new lease on Match Game.
We do?
I can't say a new lease of Match Game will fix all of GSN's current pre-2pm schedule problems, but it will fix many.
I highly doubt this.  
If GSN decided to lease more Match Game, what season?
Match Game 98.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Match Game
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
How is that possible? MG is only one half hour out of seven hours of programming. By definition it would only fix about 7% of that schedule's issues.

Your average channel-flipping viewer who stumbles upon a chance airing of MG does not care about whether that series has been run before because they're just channel-surfing. If GSN gets the same amount of income from running the same 200 episodes as they would from having to lease other blocks, then they're going to do what's easiest for them, not what's better for you, one guy out in TV land.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Match Game
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
why is a new lease a good idea?

"New lease: Great idea, or GREATEST idea?"

Dude. Seriously.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

Match Game
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »
Match Game has had remarkably consistent ratings in it's timeslot since being moved into it. Repeating cycles have not impacted the ratings one iota.   The only change to their current broadcasts of Match Game that would demonstrably improve the show's ratings numbers is to either air the show in a better time slot, or improve the numbers of it's lead-in and/or lead-out.

If you run a business, and you can get two virtually identical results and one involves spending less money, which would you pick?  Basic economics are at play here. There's simply no economically valid reason to lease new episodes at the current time.

In summary: "Spending other people's money is fun" is not a valid strategy for the programming of a television network.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:11:07 PM by Seth Thrasher »

tvmitch

Match Game
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
I know. Let's start a thread with our GSN dream schedules!!! I'll go first.

Midnight-11:59pm - The Joker's Wild
You should follow me on Twitter

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Match Game
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
What the hell separated Seth's answer from some of the others?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Steve Gavazzi

Match Game
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »
The fact that Seth didn't overtly point out what a blundering idiot the OP was making himself look like?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Match Game
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
First, thank you to respinding to our thread with a real answer.
I'm offended by that: what makes you King of the forum who gets to decide what answers are real and what aren't?

Sack up there, Guy.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Match Game
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
Thank you for coming to our board with a pile of crap.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Match Game
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
I'm offended by that: what makes you King of the forum who gets to decide what answers are real and what aren't?
Easy. "Real answer" = telling him what he wants to hear. I agree with your post though...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

Match Game
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »
Easy. "Real answer" = telling him what he wants to hear.

Which is the most interesting part, since the entirety of my post was devoted to explaining to him in at least a couple of different ways how his central premise (leasing a new block of Match Game would increase GSN's morning ratings by eleventy jillion percent) is mistaken.

I'm not sure whether the OP completely misread what I said, thought I was being nicer about it, or whether I just won on word count.

The part I'm most interested in was referring to it as "our thread".  I've never seen someone be self-referential in the plural before.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:40:46 PM by Seth Thrasher »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Match Game
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
Easy. "Real answer" = telling him what he wants to hear. I agree with your post though...

Wasn't somebody else famous for doing that awhile back?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Match Game
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
Questions for the passive-agressive new guy: Do you pay any monthly bills or have to balance your finances regularly? Have you taken classes in Economics or Accounting, event freshman entry-level stuff? Because I think I know what the answer is and it will go a long way to understanding your (non)answers here.
Travis L. Eberle