Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seeking TV Scrabble rule sheet  (Read 2427 times)

snowpeck

Seeking TV Scrabble rule sheet
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
Pardon me if this is in the wrong section, but I was wondering if anyone had a scan of the rules for TV Scrabble (the board game based on the game show based on the board game).  Was a recent thrift store find, but the rule sheet is missing.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
Pardon me if this is in the wrong section, but I was wondering if anyone had a scan of the rules for TV Scrabble (the board game based on the game show based on the board game).  Was a recent thrift store find, but the rule sheet is missing.

I got you. Give me a few minutes!
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
Here you are, sir. Hope this does the trick.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7py3ga3bu2zk25b
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
Wow, that was fast... thanks!
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:49:12 PM »
Hey, that's supposed to be my job!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »
I will throw this out there that the gameplay as presented in TV Scrabble was both marginally similar to the game play of the television show and simultaneously lacked all of the spirit and fun of the program.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
I will throw this out there that the gameplay as presented in TV Scrabble was both marginally similar to the game play of the television show and simultaneously lacked all of the spirit and fun of the program.
I have never had a copy of this game, and just judging by the rules, I have to agree. No play money (someone out there would have liked to do the bonus money "count off"), and the scoring system means that the game is more than likely decided by the end of the Crossword Round.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
I have never had a copy of this game, and just judging by the rules, I have to agree. No play money (someone out there would have liked to do the bonus money "count off"), and the scoring system means that the game is more than likely decided by the end of the Crossword Round.
I didn't have this game and am reading the rules for the first time, and yeah, there's some flaws that are limitations of the level of "technology" being employed.  Ones that particularly struck me as odd are that a wrong guess automatically wins the round for the opponent, and that if a letter in the word is also used as a stopper it doesn't automatically get used as a good letter first.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »
I didn't have this game and am reading the rules for the first time, and yeah, there's some flaws that are limitations of the level of "technology" being employed.  Ones that particularly struck me as odd are that a wrong guess automatically wins the round for the opponent, and that if a letter in the word is also used as a stopper it doesn't automatically get used as a good letter first.
Both of these are artifacts of having no MC. If you make a guess, you have to check to see if you're right; and if you're not, what are you going to do? You can't continue to play now that you know the answer. Either the word has to be ignored for scoring purposes, or it automatically goes to your opponent. And without an MC to tell you that the first K is in the puzzle but the second is a stopper, there's really no way around the stopper issue either. In fact, even if the game had employed an MC, I think they might have overlooked that rule for fear of complicating things.

I have the game and find it enjoyable enough even with the flaws (including the outsized bonuses and the near-meaninglessness of the Sprint). However, my number-six slide has for years had a tendency to fall to the middle position, prematurely revealing the letter under it, which is annoying enough during the main game but worse during the Sprint, where letters are supposed to be revealed in the given order.

alfonzos

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
You could play the home game exactly the way the television series worked if you wanted. You have enough material. The designer wisely, in my opinion, assumed you wouldn't have four players, a host, and an isolation booth handy. As is, it is a serviceable two-player game.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos