Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Temporary" set pieces  (Read 3113 times)

JMFabiano

"Temporary" set pieces
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
Watching a Kennedy TPIR online, I am reminded of the temporary pink colored borders of the readouts in Contestants' Row.  Did these carry over to the CBS episodes at the time?  Also, were they just trying something new or was there a reason for the different color?

It also reminds me of one of the TPIR vs. Y&R weeks of Family Feud, I think in 1991 or '92?  They had these totally different podiums for the teams, kind of like a railing more than a podium.  Again did these carry over weeks before/after?  And why?  Not sure if this was close enough to FF Challenge to speculate that they were getting the Bullseye-era podiums ready (as I once did).
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Adam Nedeff

"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »
Watching a Kennedy TPIR online, I am reminded of the temporary pink colored borders of the readouts in Contestants' Row.  Did these carry over to the CBS episodes at the time?  Also, were they just trying something new or was there a reason for the different color?

They were on CBS, too. Lasted about a year, maybe a little longer. As for reason, please refer to signature.

JMFabiano

"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:55:42 AM »
Not getting any of the sigs right now...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:46 AM »
It was done that way because it was done that way.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
It also reminds me of one of the TPIR vs. Y&R weeks of Family Feud, I think in 1991 or '92?  They had these totally different podiums for the teams, kind of like a railing more than a podium.  Again did these carry over weeks before/after?  And why?

I could swear the TPIR/Y&R railings showed up on at least one other week, but I could be wrong.

One example that comes to mind for me is the ginormous slot machine prop that Wheel used on a few Vegas episodes — they actually hauled that thing off to Culver City for at least one week of Vegas episodes, and had it up in place of the video wall behind the contestants.

Also, Season 22 of Wheel had a weird cylindrical prop near the blue podium that seemed to serve no purpose (on the season premiere, Pat called it a "soft drink machine"). I think it only lasted a week.
Bobby Peacock

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »
I could swear the TPIR/Y&R railings showed up on at least one other week, but I could be wrong.
I thought those were from the WWF specials.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

That Don Guy

"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
LIke the infamous purple Showcase Showdown wheel?

JMFabiano

"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
LIke the infamous purple Showcase Showdown wheel?

No cause it's on the right track, baby...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
The flown Alphabetics board could be considered temporary.

Casey

"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
One that comes to mind for me:  Face the Music played with a "Champions" placard on the champion's podium for a few weeks early in the show's run.  It went through 3 or 4 variations in the short time they used it IIRC - Numbers representing the days the person was the champion, white lights around it, red lights around it...  It didn't seem to last very long.

BrandonFG

"Temporary" set pieces
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
One that comes to mind for me:  Face the Music played with a "Champions" placard on the champion's podium for a few weeks early in the show's run.  It went through 3 or 4 variations in the short time they used it IIRC - Numbers representing the days the person was the champion, white lights around it, red lights around it...  It didn't seem to last very long.
This, I presume? :-) For some reason I thought it was the second season...good to know.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!