Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Child's Play...Help Please!  (Read 1662 times)

fthrmulcahy

Child's Play...Help Please!
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »
Hi folks...

I enjoyreading your board but I've never been much of a poster on any board...but it struck me you might be my last hope for this.

I was a child contestant on Child's Play during its run on CBS.  I have searched far and wide for a copy of my appearance, even having a friend who works at CBS searching through what they have, but with no luck.

What I do know is that the clue that I described on air was "Old Mother Hubbard" and that I'm nearly positive that I'm wearing a cast on my left arm on the tape (I had broken it jumping out of a tree...so much for being Superman).

I don't know if anyone here has any sort of collection but any possible help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  My grandfather, who took me to Manhattan to film it and is now nearing his 90th birthday would really get a kick out of it.

I know it's a needle in a haystack but I figure if anyone knows, it's you folks.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony C.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »
We have a very big haystack, Anthony.  A lot of folks here are collectors, some massively so.  Can you give us a ballpark idea of when in the run the show might have aired?  That's usually the most useful thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

irismason42

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Hey Anthony, was the Texas Instruments home computer kit one of the prizes you've won during one of your CP appearances? What announcer did you get a chance to meet if you appeared on the actual set or you not appeared on the CP set?

dale_grass

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »
Hey Anthony, was the Texas Instruments home computer kit one of the prizes you've won during one of your CP appearances? What announcer did you get a chance to meet if you appeared on the actual set or you not appeared on the CP set?

Anthony, don't feel bad if you can't answer (or understand) the questions of our Ambassador to New Board Members.  The combination of cold medication, a nasty concussion, and the lead found in finger paints from China have made Iris's posts a little, mmm, nonsensical.

JMFabiano

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
Anthony, don't feel bad if you can't answer (or understand) the questions of our Ambassador to New Board Members.  The combination of cold medication, a nasty concussion, and the lead found in finger paints from China have made Iris's posts a little, mmm, nonsensical.

Sounds like a list of the parting gifts Gene offered on some Match Game episodes.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »

Sounds like a list of the parting gifts Gene offered on some Match Game episodes.

Though if you want it read like a c. 1980 G/T end-of-show plug, it has to be like this:

[Cold medication art card displayed]
Krusty Brand Cold Medication is the key to stopping the sniffles all day and starting the Flaming Moes at night. And a nasty concussion and

[Lead paint art card]
Sherwin Williams lead finger paint. The finest...

fthrmulcahy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies...they actually jogged my memory a little bit.  I am honestly not sure when the episode aired but I do remember the two prizes that I won because one was so unusual...

I won the $100 bond that I think everybody won but the other prize was a Disc camera made by Ansco.

I never met any of the announcers...my grandfather took me to the taping, which was done with a videocamera in an office in Manhattan (probably in the CBS building but I'm not sure).  I remember the guy filming gave me a bunch of words/phrases to describe and filmed them all.  I don't know if the man filming was anyone famous...I know it wasn't Bill Cullen and even at that age I would know who he was.

I broke my arm in the spring of 1983 and I believe I had the cast on during the filming but I imagine they could have used my clip at any time.

Thanks for all the kind replies for a newbie!