Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC Picks Up "Hollywood Game Night"  (Read 5184 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
NBC Picks Up "Hollywood Game Night"
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 01:13:39 AM »
Ah, so it was the main L&O? For some reason I thought it was SVU?

He did a guest spot on SVU a few years before he joined L&O.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »
"Like we say in the 'hood, Alex: ride that motherf***er 'til the wheels fall off."

--- Anthony Anderson to Alex Trebek on Celebrity Poker Showdown, on Alex's response to being asked how long he would continue to host Jeopardy!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:20 AM »
NBC has a comedy lineup? When did this happen?

Their whole lineup is a joke (see: Ney, Whit)

The only thing that I see good on NBC, besides SNL & SNF, is Savannah Guthrie -- only on looks, though.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
The only thing that I see good on NBC, besides SNL & SNF, is Savannah Guthrie -- only on looks, though.
I still watch Jimmy Fallon when I can. His show has gotten a lot better since the early days.

Sidenote: the Roots always yell out the episode number, and if it's an area code, the city. Anyone know if episode 757 has aired yet? :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
I still watch Jimmy Fallon when I can. His show has gotten a lot better since the early days.

Geez!  How can I forget Jimmy?  Anybody who can re-create a classic game show better than Fremantle can has carte blanche in my book.

/I'm usually deep into REM by 11:30.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 09:28:28 AM »
Sidenote: the Roots always yell out the episode number, and if it's an area code, the city. Anyone know if episode 757 has aired yet? :-)

Is THAT what they're doing?  I'll pay closer attention next time.  Relatedly (though drifting further OT), Alan Kalter has begun identifying himself in the Late Show opening, a nice little reward for the announcer who's really more of a comic utility player.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
/I'm usually deep into REM by 11:30.
Same here. It was obviously easier when I worked third shift, but now that I go to work at 9 am, if I'm still up past midnight, there has to be a really good reason. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »
When a show is picked up like this, does that mean a pilot has been shot already? Just wondering.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
When a show is picked up like this, does that mean a pilot has been shot already? Just wondering.

Not necessarily.  Networks make deals without a pilot all the time.  There might be a pilot, or a less polished demo tape, or it might even have been sold on the strength of Sean Hayes' pitch.

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »

Geez!  How can I forget Jimmy?  Anybody who can re-create a classic game show better than Fremantle can has carte blanche in my book.

Jimmy was the first thing I thought of when I read this - it sounds like they're trying to make a one-hour variety show out of his schtick - which isn't necessarily a bad thing . Add some celebs, dangle a big cash prize for the player, a variety of games, and you might have something different here.

But agreed, if the "A-listers" are Guy Fieri, or various Kardashii, then no, I"m not interested.

Relatedly (though drifting further OT), Alan Kalter has begun identifying himself in the Late Show opening, a nice little reward for the announcer who's really more of a comic utility player.

I noticed this too. It's a nice throwback to Ed McMahon intro'ing himself, no? I like it, mainly because I LOVE Alan. Going to the show tomorrow night, and hopefully will be able to say hi to him.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

mystery7

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
But I thought that NBC loves (or peacocks) comedy!
Oh, is that what that stupid thing means? I was hoping it was really a sly clue that they're bringing Concentration back.

BillCullen1

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
There was a tryout a few years back of an all-star Celebrity Charades. Don't remember who the main celeb involved was. I wonder if this will be similar. I'll definitely be tuning in to watch this. I figure it HAS to be better than Take It All  (crosses fingers).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
I figure it HAS to be better than Take It All  (crosses fingers).
I've had bowel movements that were better than Take It All.

/more tasteful, at least
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
There was a tryout a few years back of an all-star Celebrity Charades. Don't remember who the main celeb involved was.
Chad Lowe and Hilary Swank, IIRC. Aired as a week-long run on AMC (?), but nothing ever came of it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
There was a tryout a few years back of an all-star Celebrity Charades. Don't remember who the main celeb involved was.

Bob Balaban, a popular character actor but hardly a household name.  Hilary Swank and then-husband Chad Lowe had a lesser role.  That TV show was patterned after charades parties that those three would throw (and that Balaban continues to stage) as fundraisers and just for fun.  From the description, it sounds like the Sean Hayes project will be a lot like that.  Us regular folks sitting at home get the honor of eavesdropping on the rich and famous having their merry fun.  Pretty much what Mike Stokey was doing in the 1940s.