Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: jeopardy judges  (Read 6080 times)

toetyper

jeopardy judges
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »
how many are there> how  do they signal their  decision?/'''

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
jeopardy judges
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
A positive integer, thumbs up or down.
Travis L. Eberle

narzo

jeopardy judges
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
I actually asked this question when attending a taping in 2000 and this is roughly what Johnny Gilbert told us:

At the table you occasionally catch a glimpse of on air are sitting the producers.  If there is a question about whether a response is accurate or not, they make the decision most of the time.  

If there is a further question as to whether a response is valid or not, all of the writers of that days material are sitting off site and watching the proceedings on monitors.  Taping is stopped and the writer responsible for the "answer" in question will provide the producers with the source for his or her material.  They will also check to see if the players response was valid or not which is why you will once in a great while see them come back from a break and say "upon further reflection it was determined your answer was acceptable..."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:34:07 PM by narzo »

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
jeopardy judges
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
(bold text mine. --C-O)
If there is a further question as to whether a response is valid or not, all of the writers of that days material are sitting off site and watching the proceedings on monitors.  Taping is stopped and the writer responsible for the "answer" in question will provide the producers with the source for his or her material.  They will also check to see if the players response was valid or not which is why you will once in a great while see them come back from a break and say "upon further reflection it was determined your answer was acceptable..."

I remembered reading---probably in the Harry Eisenberg book [ETA: Page 67, if anyone's got a copy Page 199 better explains this]---that Alex does not like stopping tape. Wouldn't they usually wait to do this until they actually "go to commercial" in the studio? [ETA: the book says yes, but this was as of the mid-90s. Would this still be the case today?]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:10:49 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Fedya

jeopardy judges
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
Don't they want to have the scores be correct when the contestants hit the Daily Doubles?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

trainman

jeopardy judges
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:49:30 PM »
Don't they want to have the scores be correct when the contestants hit the Daily Doubles?

Yes, after an unexpected response requiring more research, if a contestant picks a Daily Double before there's a commercial break, they'll stop tape at that point.
trainman is a man of trains

Unrealtor

jeopardy judges
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Here's something I've been wondering since the Kanye West/Kelly Clarkson thing a few weeks back: Do the writers double-check every answer that's ruled incorrect or just the ones where a contestant appeals or someone on staff has a feeling that the response as given might turn out to be correct after all?
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Matt Ottinger

jeopardy judges
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
Here's something I've been wondering since the Kanye West/Kelly Clarkson thing a few weeks back: Do the writers double-check every answer that's ruled incorrect or just the ones where a contestant appeals or someone on staff has a feeling that the response as given might turn out to be correct after all?

No insider knowledge, but it seems like a huge waste of time to go back and examine every single wrong answer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
jeopardy judges
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
Isn't it kinda distracting to have to both play the game and remember to throw your challenge flag?

"Remember to challenge that one clue get ready to buzz threetwoone clickclickclick."
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
jeopardy judges
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
Isn't it kinda distracting to have to both play the game and remember to throw your challenge flag?
I'm guessing when real money is on the line, you remember when you feel you've been screwed out of $800.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

jeopardy judges
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
I attended a taping a few years back and there was a stopdown for an issue with a response in a French language category. Johnny Gilbert got on the mic and said that the show had something of a little black book of experts in various fields and that they were contacting their French language expert for an opinion.

TimK2003

jeopardy judges
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Johnny Gilbert got on the mic and said that the show had something of a little black book of experts in various fields and that they were contacting their French language expert for an opinion.

I thought that was Trebek's department  :-p

clemon79

jeopardy judges
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »
Johnny Gilbert got on the mic and said that the show had something of a little black book of experts in various fields and that they were contacting their French language expert for an opinion.
Approves

Kevin Prather

jeopardy judges
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Approves
"What is menage-a-trois?"

"You know, it might be...lemme get a friend of mine down here. We'll see what he thinks, and maybe we can get you some money! Alright? Be right back."

clemon79

jeopardy judges
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
"You know, it might be...lemme get a friend of mine down here. We'll see what he thinks, and maybe we can get you some money! Alright? Be right back."

"So this guy comes into the shop today looking to sell his dignity. I don't know a thing about that, so I had to call in an expert."