Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fave/Least Fave Christmas Game Show Episodes/Weeks?  (Read 2226 times)

TimK2003

Fave/Least Fave Christmas Game Show Episodes/Weeks?
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
What are some of your favorite or least favorite Christmas-themed game show episodes, or weeks, as some shows celebrated Xmas over one day, while others turned it into a week-long affair?

I loved how the original Concentration did annual Santa vs. Santa episodes, giving the audience nearly a whole episode to try to figure out who were the Santas for that year.

Others???

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »
I'm always a fan of Christmas weeks, and seeing the sets decked out with holiday decorations. Not so sure if I have a favorite, though I love the clip from Woolery's Wheel (1979 or '80), where a lady won a new Mazda hatchback during the main game. The fact that it was Christmas was honestly more of a coincidence, but it was still a lot of fun to watch.

If there's a least favorite, I'd prolly go with Bergeron's Squares c. 2001. It's one thing when the adult celebrities spout off one-liners, but with children doing so, it just seemed weird. It's along the same lines of when kids would pontificate the survey questions on Card Sharks.

One thing I miss on game shows nowadays is hearing an instrumental of Sleigh Ride playing over the credits. I think TPiR may still do it, but it's been a few years since I've seen a Christmas episode.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

pacdude

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
I always love QI and 8 out of 10 Cats Christmas episodes, but I can't actively think of any other game shows that I've seen that have done Christmas episodes that particularly stand out in my mind.

That Don Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
The one Christmas episode that sticks out in my mind is the TPIR Christmas Eve show from (I think it was) 1981 - probably the last time they gave away a non-microlight plane.  (Today, the cheapest one I could find was $150,000.  I wonder how much a share in a "fractional ownership" jet costs?)

If extending it to New Year's Day counts, I remember a contestant on the hour-long Wheel winning something like $20,000 in two days at the end of that year (1975?).  Of course, $20,000 was something to talk about back then.  (MTR in New York has a Wheel episode of him in a Tournament of Champions, but he lost in his first game.)

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
I liked any of the "adult" game shows that let the kids/pre-teens play the game around Christmas.  Early Joker's WIld shows took away the Devil in the bonus games -- I want to say they could spin and either keep (or freeze) any window with a prize they wanted. risk free, and then spin the other window(s) up to 3 times, similar to the first CBS bonus round format.

rebelwrest

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
I agree that the December 24, 1980 episode of Wheel of Fortune is my favorite.  Not only did someone purchase a car in the 2nd round no less, but everyone was a big winner.  The smallest amount someone walked off that stage with is $4,300 and collectively (including the champion's prior two day winnings) close to $30,000 was won.  It was definitely a feel good episode for Christmas.

For number 2, one episode of Card Sharks did provide a Huge Win:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIfV7goPI2o
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »
I liked TTTT90's Christmas show.  It has a very fun surprise reveal at the end of the first subject...[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZViioe200[/media]

The only weakness is that Lynn Swann isn't the greatest host in the world, but it's not too much of a distraction.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

ET206

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:44:29 AM »
I agree with BrandonFG about using "Sleigh Ride" for the end credits.  TPiR has used a jazzy version of "Good King Wenceslas" for the past couple of years.  Anyway, I like how many shows back in the day would have their production staff on stage for the credits, and I've always liked when the host would deliver a Christmas thank you speech to the viewers (soaps did this too).

geno57

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 02:43:56 AM »
The Concentration Christmas shows were my favorites.  Played for charity, featuring celebrity (or barely celebrity) players.  Holly around the board.  Etc.  A few of these, from the '60s, exist on YouTube.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 03:53:10 AM »
I can't help but wonder how TPIR managdc to pull it off.  Whenever I see a Christmas tree in back of the audience, I always knew that the "Dreaded Tree Bid" was in the offing(usually the first IUFB on the last show before Christmas).  That was the highlight of the Christmas week on TPIR.  It's ashame they sorta did away with that.  I actually liked seeing contestants bid on a Christmas tree.

As for kids, they're fun to watch as a kid myself.  Especially those on Perry CS back in the late 70's/early 80's.