Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy contestant who fainted  (Read 4937 times)

Bobby B.

Jeopardy contestant who fainted
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »
I've seen the video clip on YouTube many times (thanks to Adam Nedeff, who posted it), and I've always wondered exactly how they handled it.  It looked like there was an edit after the think music ended, and I would assume they had a stopdown and made sure the guy was ok before they continued.  Any Jeopardy! experts have more details about this?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:15:45 PM by Bobby B. »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
I remember someone on the Jeopardy message board who was at the taping said there was about 30 minutes of stopdown time between the end of the think music and the answer reveals.

I can't find the post -- it was a couple of years ago, and it looks like the message boards have been renovated since then.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

JepMasta

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »
I remember reading about his in Harry Eisenberg's book about what happened.  Apparently, this guy was on a liquid diet to lose some weight so he would look good on TV.  He dropped about 100 pounds in short order, and his body hadn't really had a chance to recover.  Interestingly enough, he was actually lucky to have fainted where he did, since back then, Jeopardy! taped at the same complex as the California Big Spin, which by law required a EMT unit on hand in case someone had a heart attack or some such.  Also, one of his opponents was an RN.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:39:04 AM »
I remember reading about his in Harry Eisenberg's book about what happened.  Apparently, this guy was on a liquid diet to lose some weight so he would look good on TV.  He dropped about 100 pounds in short order, and his body hadn't really had a chance to recover.  Interestingly enough, he was actually lucky to have fainted where he did, since back then, Jeopardy! taped at the same complex as the California Big Spin, which by law required a EMT unit on hand in case someone had a heart attack or some such.  Also, one of his opponents was an RN.

Yet another example of why crash diets don't work. Cautionary tales, people!

(I could drop 100 pounds to go on J! and still look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:12:31 AM »
I must say this has made my day. It is a little funny, especially when they are showing all three contestants.
You actually find a contestant out cold and slumped on his lectern humorous?

You are something else.
-Joe Raygor

snowpeck

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:03 AM »
I must say this has made my day. It is a little funny, especially when they are showing all three contestants.

Now on Jeopardy!, there have not been too many nervous contestants lately. If anything, they've had overbearing pride/cocky. The show probably prepares their contestants better nowadays.
I don't think it's funny at all... it's actually kind of frightening. Anybody who has actually fainted (as I have) would say the same thing.  What an inappropriate comment.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
First, he didn't faint and fall to the ground like I thought the video would be actually about. It's like someone falling asleep during a test.
Oh, well that makes it better.

Wait; no it doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:23:53 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
I'm guessing I am the only one here who didn't cry at that video
One, you're wrong. Two, so what?

You are an incredible piece of work.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »
You are an incredible piece of work.

Oh, so sorry, "work" is not the word I had on my card. Anyone else wanna buzz in? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
I don't think it's funny at all... it's actually kind of frightening. Anybody who has actually fainted (as I have) would say the same thing.  What an inappropriate comment.
First, he didn't faint and fall to the ground like I thought the video would be actually about. It's like someone falling asleep during a test. He was alert enough to communicate with Trebek five seconds later.
I guess you missed the post where someone said there was quite a stopdown to ensure that the man was okay. The magic of television makes it seem like he got up and talked to Alex only seconds later. Fainting is not like falling asleep. He's lucky that he fainted the way he did in that direction.

That's not the point. Just because someone didn't find it funny doesn't mean they were absolutely saddened by it. They just didn't find it funny. Way to go to the extreme.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
You, sir (and I use that term extremely lightly), are an asshole.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, we're in the mud now. Doug, pass me some popcorn, please. And thanks for the card!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:22:45 PM by Don Howard »

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, we're in the mud now. Doug, pass me some popcorn, please. And thanks for the card!
Well... someone needed to say it. I figured I'd fall on the sword.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Don Howard

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Well... someone needed to say it. I figured I'd fall on the sword.
Whatever gets you through the night. I'll have some more Good n Plenty while we wait to see if it's gonna be pistols or swords.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
I must say this has made my day.

Nothing to add here, I just want to make sure LetsGoYank has another opportunity to read this and reflect on the fact that he actually typed it.