Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2012 game show-related holiday gifts...what'd ya get if you got?  (Read 2575 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
2012 game show-related holiday gifts...what'd ya get if you got?
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:08:27 AM »
I suppose the question was inevitable at some point (as in SOMEONE would have asked it)...did any of you guys get anything for Christmas/Hanukkah/Whatever that was game show related this year, and if so what?

For me, I got a new Jeopardy! set and the Jeopardy! 2013 box calendar.

/I also, believe it or not, actually got coal
//charcoal that is
///but that's not relevant to this topic
////don't ask
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:09:39 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:09:43 AM »
Pass Ack-words could be construed as a home game for Stumpers! if you're of a mind.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:16:07 AM »
Pass Ack-words could be construed as a home game for Stumpers! if you're of a mind.

This I must ask you to elaborate on. Because I am intrigued.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:21:03 AM »
The game card has the "password" at the bottom, and twelve clues. So for the password "Silver" you might get dollar, screen, medal, lining, et al. Representative for the Red Team gives a clue that is least likely to help his opponent on the Blue Team to guess the password. If unguessed, guy on Blue Team gives a clue to guesser on Red Team, and it goes back and forth until somebody guesses the word in the magic cellophane viewfinder window and wins the point.

It's no Perplexus, but I look forward to trying it out.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
I got something you often see won on game shows, thus game show related.

Cash.
-Joe Raygor

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 02:54:23 AM »
I got the new "Jeopardy!" game that came out this year (PS3), and I got myself a box calendar called "Top 5"....Pretty much a bastardized version of another game show we all know..Object is to pick the top 5 answers to a question (i.e. 5 famous Tom's). Had the Jeopardy! box calendar for 2012 so I thought I would change it up this year.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 02:56:50 AM »
The problem I had with Pass Ack-words was that it's usually pretty easy to tell at a glance which clues are the "no way in hell" versus the "yeah, why not?" clues. The only real nuance to the game came when you looked as a clue and thought "later this would be a NWIH but right now, with no context, it *might* be a YWN."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »
Joe stole my answer.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
I got a PC version of Jeopardy.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
The game card has the "password" at the bottom, and twelve clues. So for the password "Silver" you might get dollar, screen, medal, lining, et al. Representative for the Red Team gives a clue that is least likely to help his opponent on the Blue Team to guess the password. If unguessed, guy on Blue Team gives a clue to guesser on Red Team, and it goes back and forth until somebody guesses the word in the magic cellophane viewfinder window and wins the point.

It's no Perplexus, but I look forward to trying it out.

OK. me confused.  How many players are involved, and everyone's after the same word, yes?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
OK. me confused.  How many players are involved, and everyone's after the same word, yes?
When I played it it was Password-style, so two teams of two, but I don't think there's anything about the format that would preclude three or four teams from playing (save for their only being so many clue words on the card to give), nor multiple people on a team (if you had the giver or guesser rotate). But then the same could be said of regular Password.

That said, I know the designer, and I feel confident stating it was designed with a Password-player loadout in mind, and that the ability to scale is merely fortunate happenstance.

And yes, same word. Picture a Taboo card, and picture alternating picking a Taboo word to "give away" to the other team hoping their guesser doesn't guess the word. Now put twelve Taboo words on the card instead of five.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:20:28 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
Only one game show-related gift this year, and it was kind of an afterthought. My mother found the old "Win, Lose or Draw Party Edition" game at Goodwill for two bucks and gave me that.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »
I got something you often see won on game shows, thus game show related.

Cash.

Well, if Monty or Jack didn't count it into your outstretched hand, or you didn't have to reach into somebody's pocket, it's just not the same.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Well, if Monty or Jack didn't count it into your outstretched hand, or you didn't have to reach into somebody's pocket, it's just not the same.

Granted that we don't know the traditions in the Raygor household.  For all we know, there may have been a pocket involved.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:08 AM »

Granted that we don't know the traditions in the Raygor household.  For all we know, there may have been a pocket involved.

There is more than one way to take that, Matt. ;)