Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid commercials  (Read 5571 times)

Jay Temple

Pyramid commercials
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
Lately, I've seen a lot of shows where there's about one second of a different commercial right before they come back to a segment. Is everyone seeing this, or is it my provider (DirecTV)?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:42:16 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Pyramid commercials
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
It must be DirecTV.  Same thing happens when cable providers are just as sloppy at the same thing:  covering up a commercial with their own commercial.   Happens on other channels too I would bet.

BrandonFG

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Makes sense...I see it on Cox Cable all the time. You literally get a split-second of some medical or lawyer commercial, and I never really realized what was going on until I read this thread.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JerrysFeudinAgain

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
Time Warner does the same as well. They even go a second or two over when the GSN commercials end.

KWJCDon

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
Ditto Comcast.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Pyramid commercials
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
And Verizon.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Pyramid commercials
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »
I've also had this happen when I was watching TNT, USA, Cartoon Network, and probably countless others I can't recall on Comcast.

Semi-Related: Back when GSN ran What's My Line? and I've Got A Secret (or a random G-T show) daily at 3AM, Comcast would cut off the end of I've Got A Secret/Other Show, usually only the goodnight and not a lot of time (so no big deal), to go to their own Paid Programming. All was well and good until DST hit. Someone at the office forgot to turn back the clocks on their machine, so instead of switching to their Paid Programming at 4AM at the end of the block, it would switch at 3AM as the block would start. I was quite disappointed at the time. I think it took them a couple of months to get their acts together.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

irwinsjournal.com

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
I've seen this happen with Public Service Announcements also... I'm thinking that the network would run a PSA over which the local station would insert a local ad.  If there was no local ad sold then the viewer would see the PSA instead.

If the timing wasn't quite right the last second or two of the PSA would be seen.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:48:21 AM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
I've seen this happen with Public Service Announcements also... I'm thinking that the network would run a PSA over which the local station would insert a local ad.  If there was no local ad sold then the viewer would see the PSA instead.

If the timing wasn't quite right the last second or two of the PSA would be seen.

This was standard procedure with the first break of the 10a-11a CBS shows of the 70's.  Local stations could break for a local avail or stay with the network as they played a PSA.  Since our local CBS affil at the time didn't have local colorcasting abilities it was quite noticeable.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
Time Warner does the same as well. They even go a second or two over when the GSN commercials end.
And Verizon.

Me too. Happens on many networks
I'd seen it happen, too, I guess. I just never saw it happen so consistently on a single program (and it may even be at the same point in the program).

(emphasis mine) Wow, that would drive me nuts on a show I'm keeping. What happens with the shows I keep is that I see the end of DirecTV's ad, hit "pause" because I think the break is over, and then get that split-second.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid commercials
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
Since our local CBS affil at the time didn't have local colorcasting abilities it was quite noticeable.
Wait, so they would go from color CBS programming to a black-and-white local ad block? Crazy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »
Wait, so they would go from color CBS programming to a black-and-white local ad block? Crazy.

In 2012 A.D., I watched the last game of the Stanley Cup finals on the NBC affiliate in Binghamton, New York, a station that could pass HD along from the network, but obviously didn't have the ability to originate it. The local ad breaks were very noticeable.
trainman is a man of trains

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:29:24 AM »
Since our local CBS affil at the time didn't have local colorcasting abilities it was quite noticeable.
Yeah, and most of the the time, local spots consisted of voice over and a slide of the exterior of the business.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Stevek83

Pyramid commercials
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »
I've seen it happen for years. Especially on Nick at Nite and GSN