Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dumb Contestants  (Read 5016 times)

DrJWJustice

Dumb Contestants
« on: December 19, 2003, 04:27:02 PM »
I don't watch TPiR as often as Id like to do it, but I did see something today that left me heckling the screen today -- a contestant in Contestants' Row trying to bid $1.75 on the item up for bids.  I can't even recall what it was at the moment!  Does anyone ever recall someone else pulling that stunt in Contestants' Row?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dumb Contestants
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 05:36:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 02:27 PM\'] a contestant in Contestants' Row trying to bid $1.75 on the item up for bids.  I can't even recall what it was at the moment!  Does anyone ever recall someone else pulling that stunt in Contestants' Row? [/quote]
 Well, it's proof that maybe the "Please bid in dollars, because we round off our prices to the nearest dollar" warning bears repeating after all.

Was this individual wearing a "BOB ROOLZ" T-Shirt, by any chance?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

catkins522

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 06:05:53 PM »
Was this individual wearing a "BOB ROOLZ" T-Shirt, by any chance?

No, she was a NURSE!!!

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

DrJWJustice

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 06:26:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 05:36 PM\'] Was this individual wearing a "BOB ROOLZ" T-Shirt, by any chance? [/quote]
 I was a distance from the television, so I couldn't see shirts too clearly, but it did look something like that.  Damn, I wish I'd taped today's show.

Kevin Prather

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 08:49:35 PM »
I remember a contestant trying to bid $14 trillion.

gameshowguy2000

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 10:15:03 PM »
Who could remember the time Iila bid $9000 on a pair of surfboards? I got a pretty good laugh out of that!

"Iila, I want to see you after the show. I have a surfboard that I want to give you a good price on. If you think a surfboard costs $4500; because you bid $9000 on 2 of them, if you think a surfboard costs $4500; I am going to give you the BARGAIN OF YOUR LIFE!

I have one that I'll give you, and I'm only doing this 'cause it's you, I'm gonna give it to you for $3900!"

starcade

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 01:25:01 PM »
It was "a buck and a quarter", IIRC, from yesterday.

God, what a disastrous mishmash that monstrosity was yesterday.  It's these kinds of contestants (and the "Hey Bob!  Pick Me!!" crowd...) that must age Bob more than anything and makes the show darn near unwatchable.

clemon79

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 03:49:20 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 11:25 AM\'] It was "a buck and a quarter", IIRC, from yesterday.

God, what a disastrous mishmash that monstrosity was yesterday. [/quote]
 Upon further review, that one is fully worthy of all of the criticism you choose to heap upon her. She was a first-rate, hardcore, Olympic-class, 'scuse the French, BITCH.

I have NEVER seen a contestant talk back to Bob. She was a first. "We're ready for your bid." "Well I'm not ready!" She was simply horrible.

beatlefreak84

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 07:30:19 PM »
I know what you mean, Chris.  I was sitting there the whole time thinking to myself, "God, I hope this woman doesn't get on stage!"  Although I have to admire Bob for his composure with her; he didn't seem to bat an eye or even show any disdain on his face.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the other thing that she did:  constantly making Bob (well, mainly Burton) look up the TYPE of wood that the fireplace she was bidding on was made out of.  Honestly, unless you're an EXPERT on fireplaces, why would you ask this?  And, even after all this, she was STILL way off the mark (by about $1,000, IIRC).  Bob seemed quite intrigued by the questions, and so he then asked her if it were the other type of wood she was asking about, what would she have bid, and she stated something around $4,500.  Maybe this just came out because I watch the show almost every chance I get, but I started yelling at the TV, "You idiot!  Don't you know that daytime Price never gives IUFB's more than around $3,000?"  Not quite qualifying as a "misplay of the day," but I just thought it strange.

The other thing:  I wonder what kind of attitude she showed Roger to get him to pick her!  I also wonder how many times Roger was kicking himself after seeing her play the game and how snooty she was to Bob!

Some contestants...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 08:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 05:30 PM\'] The other thing:  I wonder what kind of attitude she showed Roger to get him to pick her! [/quote]
 I thought about that. You figure Roger has at most 20 seconds to talk to each prospective contestant (people who have been there, correct me if I'm wrong), and as good as Roger is, some negative personality traits can in fact be hidden for 20 seconds, and Roger isn't perfect. He does fairly well, but every so often a bona-fide dog is gonna get through.

cmjb13

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 08:20:53 PM »
I thought about that. You figure Roger  has at most 20 seconds to talk to each prospective contestant (people who have been there, correct me if I'm wrong)
Who said Roger picked the contestants for this show?

Phil traditionally does the choosing for almost all the shows (including Primetime specials). Roger only interviews for the 2nd Monday show, unless something comes up.

It's roughly 10 seconds and if they speak to you for a bit longer than that or ask you a few questions, usually that's a sign you may get picked.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 08:29:27 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 08:24:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 08:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 05:30 PM\'] The other thing:  I wonder what kind of attitude she showed Roger to get him to pick her! [/quote]
I thought about that. You figure Roger has at most 20 seconds to talk to each prospective contestant (people who have been there, correct me if I'm wrong), and as good as Roger is, some negative personality traits can in fact be hidden for 20 seconds, and Roger isn't perfect. He does fairly well, but every so often a bona-fide dog is gonna get through. [/quote]
 I think Phil Wayne Rossi does some of the contestant pre-screening. On Mondays Roger does the screening for one show, and Phil for the other IIRC.

DrJWJustice

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 10:09:12 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 01:25 PM\'] It was "a buck and a quarter", IIRC, from yesterday.

[/quote]
 Someone review the tape and let those of us who are sticklers for detail know what the actual bid was, please!  I recall $1.75, but my hearing aid wasn't on full blast, either.  Point being, she tried to bid in dollars and cents (or is that for 'sense'?) in Contestants' Row.  I do recall the contestant next to her trying to tell her how to bid down there while this whole process was going on.  It's a shame when one's competition has to tell you how to play the game correctly.

JayC

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 11:27:19 PM »
How about Jeremy from a few weeks ago?  He bid $50 in a trip to San Francisco as the FIRST bidder.  Then he bid $800 a few times in a row, then 2 more really low bids.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:28:10 PM by JayC »

Jay Temple

Dumb Contestants
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 01:39:02 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 12:25 PM\'] It was "a buck and a quarter", IIRC, from yesterday.

God, what a disastrous mishmash that monstrosity was yesterday.  It's these kinds of contestants (and the "Hey Bob!  Pick Me!!" crowd...) that must age Bob more than anything and makes the show darn near unwatchable. [/quote]
 She makes me think of Barney Rubble's appearance on The Prize Is Priced, where he was asked for his bid on a boat, and he said, "Well, I'll just have to put my two cents in--"  The host accepted his bid of 2 cents, and he won.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.